Cobalts SS banner

05 SS battery changed now host of problems....

1K views 6 replies 2 participants last post by  Anthony Leary 
#1 ·
Hi guys.

Sorry for long detailed post.

I used to be here way back in 05 under name 44Dwarf but i'm locked out of that now and can't seem to get password to reset ect. Any....
My 05 SS has done more sitting in the last 4 years then driving as my job had me in a service van.
The OEM battery died over the winter. I replaced it with a charged up new battery from Advanced (I wanted an interstate but no one had stock).
Car was fine for a few days then i got the dreaded no crank problem. Battery testing showed low resistance and 150 more then spec CCA on the new battery.
After some research here i swapped around relays with no change. After some more research i found a post about the computer connections in front of the fuse box so i Disconnected the battery removed the air cleaner tube and used CRC contact cleaner and compressed air to clean the outsides of the connectors and one by open opened them and pulled them off. the top two were clean and dry....the bottom one had oil inside! i later found out it was from a split hose going to the air cleaner tube. Anyway cleaned the computer side and the connector side even popped the top off the connector and cleaned the wire side.
Reassembled and connected the battery car with turn over and start now HOWEVER there is now a 2-3 second delay in when the key is turned to when the engine cranks. Okay i can live with that i guess...My inspection is long over due and I've been trying to get the 5 monitors to come up OKAY so it can get a new sticker.
Now i found i have only 2psi of boost (1st time ever its not built boost) so more research i find intercooler pump is bad so i got a new one put it in and bleed the system via the bolt on the rad and burping it on the filler.
So more diving to get the EVAP monitor to come in okay and up pops the security light....
The only code reader i have will not look at live signals ect it a reader / clearer but i have no check engine light just limited boost and now the security car lock light.
Short of taking to the dealer anyone know how to clear the security light?
Thanks.

See less See more
#3 ·
Alt tested fine after new battery (with load tester) was in and everything was working fine for a couple of days. After my post last night i tried to Re-learn the PASSlock and now its locked up solid and with not turn over at all...
WTH... I still love the car but this is nuts its bad enough i have to pull the disks every time i need to use the car and skim them on the lathe. Real miss my reliable car hate having to use my v10 pick up to go around town.

#4 ·
Disconnected battery for 28+ hours. Put battery on charger just to be sure it was 100%. Reconnected the battery the security light is out now but still have no cranking...

Anyone got full wire diagram for 05 SS?

#5 ·
Well I started digging some more and looks like my starter solenoid is dead when i use a screw drive to short the two big terminals on the starter (battery cable to stater motor post) the motor spins however when i short the battery to the small post i get a current draw but no throw out of the starter gear nor spinning of the motor.
So we wait for new starter to get here and hopefully my reliable car returns. Strange how both the solenoid and the intercooler pumps died at same time or with in a few days.... but at 143,000 and 11 years old its a first for both.
I hope this fixes everything once and for all.

#6 ·
Starter changed it runs again, no delay in cranking! Took on a nice ride no boost. After two stops where i shut down the motor and let it sit 20 or so minutes each time still no boost but then 15 miles later full boost! then the dreaded security light came back but i can turn the car off and it clears only to pop up again and boost is intermittent on whether it will be there or not...No passing RV trailers on the twistys with no boost...
So what do i need to do to clear the security light once and for all and is that killing my boost? Intercooler pump is working and bleed of air.

#7 ·
Boost seemed to come and go as it wanted as did the security light after 120 miles driving out of state it finaly had all but the evap monitors ready. Got to the inspection station and guy there used his OBD2 unit to force Evap check and it was fine got my sticker and cars running great full boost now for over 200 miles!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.