Cobalts SS banner

Dyno Results

11K views 30 replies 18 participants last post by  CoBIZZLE 
#1 ·
I had my car dynoed today at dynolab in marietta georgia on a dynojet dyno. The car is bone stock, no mods at all!!

Max power- 232 hp
max torque- 198 lbs
These are at the fron tires. I am having problems with my scanner, but i will post the graph for those unbeleivers a little later tonight. I let the car cool for an hour with a bag of ice on the S/C. The outside air temp was 85 degrees, and had only one fan blowing at the front.

#2 ·
Awesome power Ron, how'd you break it in? I drove mine pretty respectable with some hard accelerating at times. I just found out there's a dyno in my area and I plan on dynoing mine sometime...

#3 ·
dervin3 said:
Awesome power Ron, how'd you break it in? I drove mine pretty respectable with some hard accelerating at times. I just found out there's a dyno in my area and I plan on dynoing mine sometime...
We drove it very easy for 600-700 miles, a lot of those miles were on the interstate speeds around 70-80. Around town i was shifting from 2000-2500 rpm. We always let the car warm up in the morning, and changed the oil at 1500 miles.
Dervin check the dyno in your area, if it is a mustang dyno, i dont think they are worth two hoots, but thats JMO.

#4 ·
Cool, I drove mine like I said pretty standard just a few times I let it know who's boss lol :) I changed my oil at 1200 miles and the dyno around here is a dynojet 224x model.

#5 ·
Ronnie Pendergrass said:
I had my car dynoed today at dynolab in marietta georgia on a dynojet dyno. The car is bone stock, no mods at all!!

Max power- 232 hp
max torque- 198 lbs
These are at the fron tires. I am having problems with my scanner, but i will post the graph for those unbeleivers a little later tonight. I let the car cool for an hour with a bag of ice on the S/C. The outside air temp was 85 degrees, and had only one fan blowing at the front.
VERY nice #'s!! And that is a stock SS? Right? WOW! :eek:

#6 ·
Great #'s but it looks that they didnt add in the correction value. If they didnt then those numbers are right and if my math serves its actuall 218 at the wheels and 184tq. Just a comment but still great #s regardless.

#7 ·
Good numbers I guess, but whp numbers are good for nothing but bench racing and bragging rights, and seeing gains from mods. Dynos differ, numbers differ. Now go get some track times!!

#9 ·
MY GTP 8 U said:
Good numbers I guess, but whp numbers are good for nothing but bench racing and bragging rights, and seeing gains from mods. Dynos differ, numbers differ. Now go get some track times!!
I beg to differ, we have a 248 Model Dynojet and it's pretty damn accurate.

I tend to dno before track days.

last week on a friday we dynoed 372whp, the same night we went to NED in epping, NH and trapped 117mph. do the math as the car weighs in at 2960 lbs with driver.

I was expecting 117mph traps since the dyno told me 372whp, and we got them.

on another occassion we dynoed 413.86whp, the following day the car trapped 121mph, again dead on what it's supposed to do on higher boost and weight of car.

a dyno will be accurate from run to run, but you can't compare from dyno manufacturer to dyno manufacturer.

#10 ·
Dyno the motor, plug in a few different percentage points for driveline loss, and then we can talk about advertising dyno numbers. Because I cant believe GM would advertise the car as making 205hp, when his 232whp dyno number would indicate an approximate 270hp at the crank. Or maybe GM really is lying that much. Either way, I'll still pay more attention to 1/4 times, for the sole reason that numbers vary so much from dyno to dyno as you stated.

#11 ·
AWESOME NUMBERS!!!!

That's insane!!

#13 ·
Another thing would be if he was to track the car, should trap easily at 100mph better yet 101mph.

if it does, then most likely it is putting out 232whp.

some SRT guys have been known to put out 248whp but yet still trap what the car should. in some cases it's operator error and not dyno error.

#14 ·
Yes the car is all stock, no mods at all. As far as the numbers, they were corrected. I am having problems posting the dyno graph, it says my file says that it is too large<-----------any help to this matter will be a help. Would it make a difference as to what type of file i save it as.

#16 ·
MY GTP 8 U said:
Dyno the motor, plug in a few different percentage points for driveline loss, and then we can talk about advertising dyno numbers. Because I cant believe GM would advertise the car as making 205hp, when his 232whp dyno number would indicate an approximate 270hp at the crank. Or maybe GM really is lying that much. Either way, I'll still pay more attention to 1/4 times, for the sole reason that numbers vary so much from dyno to dyno as you stated.
I sort of agree/disagree... tracks vary a whole lot from track to track and day to day as well

But one thing is for sure, dyno'ing more than the next guy means nothing if you can't beat him at the track :D

#18 · (Edited)
Ronnie Pendergrass said:
87camaropa, is my graph too large to post? It is a scan copy, what can i do to make it smaller?
Not sure can you scan it again at a smaller resioluithion or samller size.

Ok i got the e-mail i will try to post it.
It worked. :D

Attachments

#20 ·
Rage Racing / Rage Performance - we have just joined this site and would love to offer any form of help we can to this site and it cars..We also plan to build some parts for the ecotec as well as the cobalt in general and would like to see if anyone is located in So Cal and would be willing to do a few base runs on the SS model and base as well so we could have a baseline for the testing.

Thanks in advance

Jason Whitfield

#21 ·
Chevy has always under-rated their numbers on the sports cars. The Camaro Z's are a great example. Dodge did the same thing on their SRT's. They first advertised the SRT-4 at 215hp, they were dyno'ing at 225(if I remember correctly). A lot of guy's with 04's and 05's were dyno'ing over 230. To get a good baseline of what your car can put down is to Dyno several times. The results will vary. Just get an average. Also, what gear were you Dyno'ing in Ronnie? Should be 4th in your cars. Great numbers though. I'm impressed! Wait until you guys get mods!

#24 ·
whp is short for Wheel HorsePower.

An engine can put out (lets say 200hp) but it will lose sometimes up to 20% or more of that power through the drivetrain. Therefore that 200hp engine is only puttin around 160hp at the wheels to the ground, thus the term wheel horsepower.

You'll also see ther abbreviation bhp, this one :confused: Im not sure but a guess would be Brake? horsepower?!?!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.