Cobalts SS banner

2006 Cobalt 2.0l L4 SS.. Need some help!

4K views 5 replies 2 participants last post by  StreetCar06SS 
#1 ·
Hey everyone, Im new to the cobalt ss world.. Just picked her up a few days ago and passed inspection today. I am a mechanic and have alot of knowledge and skill, but was curious if anyone could help me out on a few question... I believe that it could be a O2 sensor, MAF sensor, or possibly have a crap tune or even stock tune. The car has 79.7mm pulley already installed, (3.1 i think?) and magnaflow cat back exhaust, and a hurst short throw. Car makes around 14.5-15 lbs at 5500 rpms when getting on it. The car performs great, and drives great. Although i had a PO172 code pop up on me twice. Cleared it and went forth to keep driving... I also have pretty bad fuel mileage for what the car is said to have and also the idle will jump by itself (Nothing drastic, but bobs around a little when you let off the gas and push in the clutch. I have yet to see what kind of injectors or anything else that has been done but so far I have only cleaned the MAF sensor. Any idea, more specific reason of the bad mileage, the PO172 code, and the sometimes idle fluctuating??? I love the car though. So much fun, with the daily ability. just hoping I can get these small issues resolved. Thanks everyone for your help!!

#2 ·
Yeah, that's a running rich code. Clean MAF, check injectors for leaks or broken o-rings, make sure air filter isn't dirty and intercooler piping isn't kinked or leaking. Probably not a boost leak because it builds the proper pressure. Check for dirty/clogs from the intake up through the end of the IC piping, check the spark plugs for fouling, and possibly replace the bank 1 oxygen sensor.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

#3 ·
I will have to go through all of it tomorrow.. I just looked at the pulley again on the supercharger and made a mistake... the pulley is actually 77.9mm so more like a 2.9-3.0. And I actually just ordered a new K&N filter for it so that will hopefully help. Going to check all the plugs, and I would like to see if they are stock or 42# injectors on it but will also inspect the o-rings and everything else you listed.. Thanks for the help! If the code still pops up after I go through this stuff I will probably try doing the O2 sensor if all else fails.. Car might even need a tune.

#5 ·
Definitely... I Just bought it used from a dealer and I've heard talk that the dealer may even flash the PCM back to stock mapping before resale... So if all else fails that may be the trick too.. and even get some better power and MPG back out of it if does need a tune... Thanks again!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.