Cobalts SS banner

my SS/sc vs. a ford taurus?

13K views 31 replies 12 participants last post by  cobalt-red 
#1 ·
so yesterday i was driving around with my roommate and we are just cruising and a third gen taurus (96-99) floors it from behind me and does a flyby. so the light in front of us turns red and we both are in front. so i figure he wants to race me so when it turns green we both launch and some very surprising results occured to me. there were about three red lights in a row about an 1/8th of a mile apart so we could never really get into third, but all three races had the same result. it was very even in first gear, but once we got into second i started to pull away. this taurus had a dual exhaust, and we stopped at a light and i asked him what mods he had, and all he said was an intake. so i was just wondering what kind of engine this probably had, and what its hp and tq #'s would be. i was just very surprising to have it hang with me so well in the beginning. ok thanks, and sorry about the long post.....

#2 ·
sounds like an SHO

#5 ·
how many miles, the clutches in the cobalts are stonger than you think from factory, when i launch iuse the clutch alittle bit so i dont stall. this is probaly not a goos thing anybody have any suggestions.

#9 ·
how many miles did the rl have on it before you bled the clutch? My balt seems to have a little bit of a slip in it, not very noticable, but if you pull hard from a launch, it seems that it slips slightly. (only 5500 miles so far)

#10 ·
yeah john thats what mine is doing. its only sometimes, but its been doing it for a while.

ill try bleeding the clutch and get back to you.
or you can try it and get back to me.
whoever does it first

#11 ·
sounds like a plan.

#12 ·
hey, this may sound stupid, but i think it may be plausible. When it is cold, and you first drive your car for the day, the clutch wants to slip. But when it warms up, (clutch lining get 'sticky') it engages better = no slip.... hmmm... maybe im thinking too much...

#14 ·
i hate SLO drivers. they're all cocky. i waste them everytime i come across one. i know it hurts their ego when a big ol' SUV lays a beating on them. :D i work with 3. i've beat 2 of them, the 3rd is special. we've got money riding on it, but it hasn't happened yet.

#18 ·
quiet possibly, mine seems to just not have the right feel... you have to let out too much to get it to engage

#19 ·
in your sig, it says "custom valve tap" what does that mean, please enlighten me.

#30 ·
only if it's glued to another one lol.

ok so it's not THAT bad, lol. but with a decent powered car with less power it can hang with me. now trucks on the other hand....that's a level playing field and i walk on 99.9% of them

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.