Known Cobalt Problems... [Archive] - Page 2 - Chevy Cobalt SS Forum : Chevrolet Cobalt SS Forums

: Known Cobalt Problems...

Pages : 1 [2]

CobaltSSilver
12-04-2006, 01:30 AM
My brake rotors are grooved now. Another 'saga' with this damn car. My dealer said they will take a look at it, turn rotors and replace pads as necessary. I think the damn brakes are dragging. Any advice out there or is this just something that only gets fixed by going aftermarket.

jonsstockrocket
12-05-2006, 05:03 PM
i fixed it going aftermarket

domin8_gt
12-06-2006, 04:27 AM
Airbag light and message on DIC are lighting up now. Haven't hit anything. In fact was just pulling in front of my house when it first happened today. Will take to dealership first thing thursday morning.

CobaltSSilver
12-06-2006, 03:30 PM
i fixed it going aftermarket

When you say fix do you mean that you replaced just the rotors, or rotors, pads and lines? What brand did you go with for each? How many miles has it been since you went with aftermarket parts? How many miles before the aftermarket parts did the stock rotors go before you noticed the grooves as well.

suprchged
12-07-2006, 07:49 PM
When you say fix do you mean that you replaced just the rotors, or rotors, pads and lines? What brand did you go with for each? How many miles has it been since you went with aftermarket parts? How many miles before the aftermarket parts did the stock rotors go before you noticed the grooves as well.
I traded my 06 for an 07 and have grooves at 700

CobaltSSilver
12-07-2006, 08:19 PM
I traded my 06 for an 07 and have grooves at 700

Yeah they have problems with the rotors holding up to what the pads and calipers dish out. Either the compound is too hard from the pads for the rotors or they are heating up and getting cut by the performance rotor. Eitherway I think GM should update/replace the rotors with something better.

Why did you trade up in model years? Was your '06 a lemon? What else if anything on your cobalt have you seen besides the rotors?

suprchged
12-15-2006, 10:48 PM
Yeah they have problems with the rotors holding up to what the pads and calipers dish out. Either the compound is too hard from the pads for the rotors or they are heating up and getting cut by the performance rotor. Eitherway I think GM should update/replace the rotors with something better.

Why did you trade up in model years? Was your '06 a lemon? What else if anything on your cobalt have you seen besides the rotors? yeah it was a total lemon, after break in my 07 deem way stronger i dont know why, a few night ago i spiked out around 14.5 almost 15psi and im bone stock except injen cai it was sweet, I want the gmpp header any opinions, no im not going aftermarket i want to keep my warranty than after that i will put on the stg2

jonsstockrocket
12-16-2006, 09:19 PM

i did rotors and pads
i have wagner ceramic pads, and pro brake stock replacement rotors. (not crossdrilled and slotted)
its been about 13k since then and no problems as of yet,
the stock rotors were rippled when i got the car w/ 50 single miles on it.

CobaltSSilver
12-17-2006, 08:59 PM
yeah it was a total lemon, after break in my 07 deem way stronger i dont know why, a few night ago i spiked out around 14.5 almost 15psi and im bone stock except injen cai it was sweet, I want the gmpp header any opinions, no im not going aftermarket i want to keep my warranty than after that i will put on the stg2

I like the GMPP header because it mates up with no problems, warranty *althought they can't canceld your warranty for going aftermarket*, no worries on welds breaking, good HP gains ect... If you go that route get the exhaust too. I like the touring for sound.

CobaltSSilver
12-17-2006, 08:59 PM
Oh and yeah stage 2 rocks.

I wonder why your balt has so much boost via the guage?
If you had a lemon you must love the SS/SC a lot to go get another one or did GM give you a lemon law swap?

suprchged
12-20-2006, 09:20 PM
Oh and yeah stage 2 rocks.

I wonder why your balt has so much boost via the guage?
If you had a lemon you must love the SS/SC a lot to go get another one or did GM give you a lemon law swap? no i ooked around, i also got a good deal out of it, i may have a factory monster, and the header sounds like a good choice could you feel a difference. I drove the Mazdaspeed3 and wasnt impressed enough to buy it. I dont care how much credit sportcompact gives it, its a turd man. good tq but very heavy almost 3300lbs

JohnsRallyYellowSS
12-20-2006, 10:50 PM
id rather have the rx8, thats the kind of car the hottie in Need for speed most wanted drives!

JohnsRallyYellowSS
12-20-2006, 10:50 PM
but i spanked her ass with my cobalt!

Random Asshole
01-15-2007, 04:26 PM
Holy crap, thats alot of issues for this car. I just bought my '06 SS/SC two days ago, and wish I read all this beforehand. I was in the market for a new car, and my 94 olds was getting well...old. But the thing was solid as a chunk of fucking titanium. No issues at all in its entire lifespan. (Car has been in my family since 95) Just brakes tires, battery, etc, etc. I brought her in for its first balljoint replacement, and found my cobalt in the showroom while waiting. Took it out for a ride and the rest is history. Oh well, I guess I'll just be on my way to my local pastor and see if he can maybe bless my car or something. So much for trying to be loyal to american auto manufacurers, huh? J/K

P.S. I am newer than my car here, so please excuse my noobness. BTW, wtf is LSD besides a hallucigen? I'm pretty sure I have damn near every option for 06. And G85 is the sport seats option, yes?

CobaltSSilver
01-15-2007, 04:59 PM
Holy crap, thats alot of issues for this car. I just bought my '06 SS/SC two days ago, and wish I read all this beforehand. I was in the market for a new car, and my 94 olds was getting well...old. But the thing was solid as a chunk of fucking titanium. No issues at all in its entire lifespan. (Car has been in my family since 95) Just brakes tires, battery, etc, etc. I brought her in for its first balljoint replacement, and found my cobalt in the showroom while waiting. Took it out for a ride and the rest is history. Oh well, I guess I'll just be on my way to my local pastor and see if he can maybe bless my car or something. So much for trying to be loyal to american auto manufacurers, huh? J/K

P.S. I am newer than my car here, so please excuse my noobness. BTW, wtf is LSD besides a hallucigen? I'm pretty sure I have damn near every option for 06. And G85 is the sport seats option, yes?

Limited Slip Diff for the front, keeps the inside tire from going up in smoke when you corner, the G85 also added in Recaro Seats for the front.

Some cars have issues, some cars have pesky stuff. I hope you enjoy your car and get better dealer service then I did at first. Took a trip to two other dealers and then I landed with the right crew to take care of my ride.

Keep a close eye on your rotors, if you run into an issue with the car feeling like it's 'missing' or misfiring at low rpm it may become an issue in the summer with the A/C on or with GM stage 2 applied. There's a PCM update *there are a few of them out there, but this is the one you want applied ASAP* to remedy this.

Enjoy and welcome to the forums!

Random Asshole
01-16-2007, 05:29 PM
Limited Slip Diff for the front, keeps the inside tire from going up in smoke when you corner, the G85 also added in Recaro Seats for the front.

Some cars have issues, some cars have pesky stuff. I hope you enjoy your car and get better dealer service then I did at first. Took a trip to two other dealers and then I landed with the right crew to take care of my ride.

Keep a close eye on your rotors, if you run into an issue with the car feeling like it's 'missing' or misfiring at low rpm it may become an issue in the summer with the A/C on or with GM stage 2 applied. There's a PCM update *there are a few of them out there, but this is the one you want applied ASAP* to remedy this.

Enjoy and welcome to the forums!

Thanks, I'm actually going to the dealer today to drop off my check for the down payment. I'll see if maybe the service writer can look up my vin and catch me up on some of that while I'm there finishing my deal. It's actually pretty funny, I haven't technically paid a cent for the car because the computers were down saturday (they based my credit on a honest handshake!) and I've already got my stage 2 in the mail. I paid $415 including shipping on ebay. I'm gonna wait till after my first oil change to put it in. How many miles you guys typically get? I know the meter tells you when based on your driving habits, it usually closer 3 or 5k? I have already tacked on a hundred and I still only have 260! Next on my "to get" is the stiffy bar and a clutch while I still have the money to afford all this crap. Speed is a hell of a drug, you'd sell your mothers tombstone for a few a couple extra ponies. Anyway, I plan on going to school next fall. That's the reason I bought this car. I wanted a good commuter w/warranty that still wasn't a bitch on the street.

Are dealers voiding warranties over the ingalls stiffy bars and CAIs? I know it sounds like a dumb question, but they seemed pretty strict about anything that didn't have a gm part# on it. Which really sucks 'cause I did whatever I wanted to my old rustang and they didn't give two shits about it. Worse comes to worse, those pieces can be swapped out pretty quick, i guess.

CobaltSSilver
01-16-2007, 08:16 PM
Thanks, I'm actually going to the dealer today to drop off my check for the down payment. I'll see if maybe the service writer can look up my vin and catch me up on some of that while I'm there finishing my deal. It's actually pretty funny, I haven't technically paid a cent for the car because the computers were down saturday (they based my credit on a honest handshake!) and I've already got my stage 2 in the mail. I paid $415 including shipping on ebay. I'm gonna wait till after my first oil change to put it in. How many miles you guys typically get? I know the meter tells you when based on your driving habits, it usually closer 3 or 5k? I have already tacked on a hundred and I still only have 260! Next on my "to get" is the stiffy bar and a clutch while I still have the money to afford all this crap. Speed is a hell of a drug, you'd sell your mothers tombstone for a few a couple extra ponies. Anyway, I plan on going to school next fall. That's the reason I bought this car. I wanted a good commuter w/warranty that still wasn't a bitch on the street.

Are dealers voiding warranties over the ingalls stiffy bars and CAIs? I know it sounds like a dumb question, but they seemed pretty strict about anything that didn't have a gm part# on it. Which really sucks 'cause I did whatever I wanted to my old rustang and they didn't give two shits about it. Worse comes to worse, those pieces can be swapped out pretty quick, i guess.

Mobile 1 is the min required on the oil changes. I've been changing mine around 4K to 5K but that is only because my car is a low mileage car. I have 11K on it and have owned it for 17 months. I would wager that the oil life would get you around 6-7K between oil changes depending on how you drive, where you live ect...I am told that the oil life system is a 'guideline' not sure how true that is.

As for dealer voiding warranty they can't do that by law, unless the part causes the issue you are wanting fixed and then they would have to prove it. Not to mention it depends on the dealer. I've had dealers where I live say the GM stage kits void the warranty, I of course stayed away from those dealers and went with a GM performance dealer. Yes you can just remove the items that your dealer questions, but if you're close to one find a GMPP dealer, have them do the stage kit install or at least verify your install and have them do the flash update.

JohnsRallyYellowSS
01-16-2007, 11:14 PM

If I were you I'd wait til about 2000 miles on the car before I put the stage 2 on, I waited til about 4-5k before I got mine installed.

yawney
01-21-2007, 07:38 PM
I have an '05 SS/SC, with 27,000 kms and it has been in the shop 3 times, soon to be 4 with a clunk in the front end. They hooked up chasis ears the first time and replaced the lower right control arm and said everything else was tight but the sound was still there. The second time they focused on the steering colum, replaced the intermediate shaft but the noise, although reduced somehow was still there. This last time they again hooked up chasis ears, couldn't hear anything but they were advised by GM tech support they had been having troubles with the whole steering column. So they replaced the whole steering column.

There is still a hollow sounding clunk, almost like a knocking or something, from the frontend. Seems to be only now when the car is rocking side to side going slow speed over potholes n stuff, especially when turning.

Any ideas or anyone else have troubles like this?

Harley
01-21-2007, 07:56 PM
Yes, but for myself it only seems to happen once the temperature gets low, so mainly during late fall/winter/early spring. It was diagnosed as the struts for me the one time I took it in, but I was taking it about 500 miles away that weekend to store for the winter. When I brought the car out again in the spring they couldn't find anything wrong with it, but again this fall it came back.

Same problem - only at low speed turning and bumps.

jonsstockrocket
01-21-2007, 08:54 PM
youll want to look at the sway bar bushings and links
this noise occures in my car when cold and i know its not strut plates because that noise is consistant with every bump,
toyota cars have that problem w/ strut mounts

when u turn u r moving the sway bar and the bushings shrink in the cold so there is a possinility that that is what it is

yawney
01-24-2007, 01:35 AM
The sway bar bushings and clamps are next on the list.

Thanks for the insight

HaLt 2da coBaLt
01-24-2007, 07:33 PM
Actually, I had the exact same problem with my eclipse about a year ago. I took it in to the shop and they said it was the struts, so I got those replaced, then it was still there, and then they said it was an axle, but it was just fine. I finally took in again, and they identified the problem to be the Lateral Arm. They replaced it and the sound stopped. I've got the same problem goin on in the front driver side of my bolt. Haven't taken it in yet though.

jonsstockrocket
01-24-2007, 11:48 PM
The sway bar bushings and clamps are next on the list.

Thanks for the insight

your welcom glad to be some help

jeffrieckonfire
01-28-2007, 11:52 PM
today i was driving down a road, and i hear something rattleing in the steering column, and 3 screws fell down as i came off of an exit ramp.
also, i notice at around 3500 RPM in 2nd, 3rd, and 4th gears, i feel the car lose most of its power from the S/C and it goes down to 0 on the boost gauge.

has anyone else had this problem, cause i don't want to drive around if this is some potentail hazard.

jonsstockrocket
01-29-2007, 12:14 AM
taked to dealer

jonsstockrocket
01-29-2007, 12:15 AM
but if that is not possible somehow, see where the screws came from and it could solve the other problems

jeffrieckonfire
01-29-2007, 07:08 AM
yeah i looked, but it doesn't appear they were holding wires, and i called my dealer, and they told me "that seems impossible, unless you were messing around with the electronics." i've only had this car about 2 1/2 weeks, and haven't begun the moding.
also, after reading some of these, i noticed that my front bumper was put on by this "blind man" and my front head light is sticking a little into the bumper.

rlinden86
01-29-2007, 12:27 PM
i got a few probs. on drivers side where front fender panel meets window jam it has little paint in the crack. my inside door on drivers side plastic insert with door handle and buttons for windows and locks is not fitted right. slight ticking in engine i think i got that figured out though. blown pass side door speaker. maybe sub in back too i dont know. the dealer will fix it i said. and for free too.

ryman.

jonsstockrocket
01-29-2007, 04:40 PM
what is the ticking noise

yawney
02-04-2007, 05:12 AM
youll want to look at the sway bar bushings and links
this noise occures in my car when cold and i know its not strut plates because that noise is consistant with every bump,
toyota cars have that problem w/ strut mounts

when u turn u r moving the sway bar and the bushings shrink in the cold so there is a possinility that that is what it is

You nailed my problem, got the bushings replaced along with the clamps and everyting now quiet.

Thanks again

GoTBoOst47
03-20-2007, 06:37 PM
my transmission feels lk shit lk real sloppy n it feels lk my 2nd gear dosent wanna stay engaged .....u kno anything ?

SS Squared
03-21-2007, 06:29 PM
Anyone have an unusual noise coming from under the dash around the passenger side by the windshield. Its only occasional, but its sounds like something shorting out, or a really fast vibration, not sure:confused:

Dealer service here in Canada sucks, so hopefully can find it on my own and fix it! Other than that my 07 has been really great!:)

CobaltSSilver
03-21-2007, 09:18 PM
my transmission feels lk shit lk real sloppy n it feels lk my 2nd gear dosent wanna stay engaged .....u kno anything ?

someone here I think noted they had an issue with the 3rd gear popping out on them. It was traced to a vac hose loose. There may also be a TSB on it.

Keep in mind the tranny in the SS/SC gives positive feel for a gear but not as positive as say the 6spd in a Civic SI or EVO.

Good luck!

CobaltSSilver
03-21-2007, 09:19 PM
Anyone have an unusual noise coming from under the dash around the passenger side by the windshield. Its only occasional, but its sounds like something shorting out, or a really fast vibration, not sure:confused:

Dealer service here in Canada sucks, so hopefully can find it on my own and fix it! Other than that my 07 has been really great!:)

Slow speed, high speed or is it at any time *I see that you stated occasional, but it may be related to speed*

SS Squared
03-21-2007, 10:40 PM
Good question and i should have stated that it happens at highway speed ~110km/hr or 70 mph.:rolleyes:

CobaltSSilver
04-03-2007, 12:14 PM
my windshield wipers and boost gauge went out all fuses are fine i just dont know

Did you take it to a dealer yet?

steiny69er
05-23-2007, 12:18 AM
Originally Posted by SS Squared
Anyone have an unusual noise coming from under the dash around the passenger side by the windshield. Its only occasional, but its sounds like something shorting out, or a really fast vibration, not sure

Dealer service here in Canada sucks, so hopefully can find it on my own and fix it! Other than that my 07 has been really great!

I am having the same problem on my 07 LS with 600 miles on it. It's getting annoying.

steiny69er
05-25-2007, 11:19 PM
steiny69er Quote:
Originally Posted by SS Squared
Anyone have an unusual noise coming from under the dash around the passenger side by the windshield. Its only occasional, but its sounds like something shorting out, or a really fast vibration, not sure

Dealer service here in Canada sucks, so hopefully can find it on my own and fix it! Other than that my 07 has been really great!

I am having the same problem on my 07 LS with 600 miles on it. It's getting annoying.

Located the problem between the glovebox and where it is mounted there was a screw sitting there bouncing around. Havent located where it came from perhaps it was one they dropped durring manufacturing.

COBALT BLUE
05-26-2007, 09:16 PM
how about the body panels not lining up seemlessly/noticable gaps between panels? there's a couple spots on my ss where the body panels don't transition smoothly and there's either a gap or a lip. i'm not sure if i'm the only person wih this and if it's only on the ss/coupe/or all the models.

theres actually a tsb out for the front bumper not lining up with the fender. You have to take it to the dealer and they have to removed the bumper, drill out the reinforcment and reinstall the bumper.

iso
05-29-2007, 02:31 AM
my sunroof stopped working on friday night and then it poured yesterday so woohoo. have to take it in tomorrow to get it fixed since the dealer was closed for the holiday.

iso
05-29-2007, 02:32 AM
theres actually a tsb out for the front bumper not lining up with the fender. You have to take it to the dealer and they have to removed the bumper, drill out the reinforcment and reinstall the bumper.

i'll ask, but at this point i don't care anymore. the front bumper not lining up is the least that's wrong with this thing.

suprchged
05-29-2007, 01:57 PM
whats wrong with your car???

cobaltinator
10-09-2007, 12:58 PM
My 07' 3LT is having the issue with the front bumper also under the passanger side headlight. It bulges up a good bit and is a big diff. between that one and the drivers side. Never been wrecked. I dont kow if the heat is making it form like that or what but its is gettin on my nerves. I gotta find some time to take it to the dealer soon. Also my rotors (3700 miles) are falling apart. The last two times that I washed it debris(rusted metal flakes) fell ou of them and onto my rims.... Is anyone else seing this problem?

Show Off
10-09-2007, 03:35 PM
yes. the rotors on the balts are shit. i had mine resurfaced once and needed it again when i traded it in at 32k miles. the body piece sounds like something wrong from the factory. first time i heard about this. warranty should fix that.

ssnipes
10-10-2007, 04:56 PM
has anyone had a problem with the AC rad loosing its fins?

Show Off
10-10-2007, 08:30 PM
i havent heard of that one yet.

crazyracer
10-10-2007, 09:20 PM
Damn would you guys quit bringin this crap up?!?! My car was fine till I read all this crap and took a lap around it.... now suddenly it looks like a pile of $*#&. Everything's wrong with it!

CobaltSSilver
10-10-2007, 10:59 PM
has anyone had a problem with the AC rad loosing its fins?

I haven't seen or heard of that one. A dealer should be able to get you situated though if still under warranty.

joedashow
10-10-2007, 11:45 PM
Damn would you guys quit bringin this crap up?!?! My car was fine till I read all this crap and took a lap around it.... now suddenly it looks like a pile of $*#&. Everything's wrong with it!

Sorry man, lol.

cobaltinator
10-11-2007, 11:14 AM
I also noticed that Ican wigle my front bumper a good 1/8" up and down. Is tht suppose to be that way or is it loose mounts?

jordan23
11-24-2007, 07:08 AM
SS = passenger's side door armrest has the leather cut too short to fit properly around the handle.

Redbalt24
11-24-2007, 08:47 AM
So will the dealership fix my paint missing wheels and my paint coming of my silver piece where the window buttons are? j/w

wang
12-06-2007, 08:12 PM
So will the dealership fix my paint missing wheels and my paint coming of my silver piece where the window buttons are? j/w

my dealer fixed my chipped up wheels. took them a couple a days though. had to leave there gave me a four door cobalt to drive.

mrsilent13
01-07-2008, 10:10 PM
so my car shitted the tcm and now they wouldnt replace it even though im still within warranty. they tried to tell me that it was the alarm system that the dealer installed for me...the freakin identity alarm system. im sure some of u guys have it. well that is not it. and then they were tryin to charge me 500 to begin anything. when im still under warranty. my car has 33600 miles on it. and i bought it in march 2005. not only that i bought the 5 year extended warranty. wtf!!!!! security chevrolet dealer can go f--k themselves. i dont understand y they didnt replace it. now my car dont shift and and cant tell how fast im goin cuz my speedometer dont work. so yea this shait sucks.

Absolution1517
01-17-2008, 06:55 PM
I see here that this site does not have a search function. Therefore I am asking if anyone knows what is causing the squeaking noise that is apparent from the rear chassis when going over bumps. The noise didn't start until after about 12000 miles.

rms7design
01-19-2008, 02:11 PM
hey guys... when we drive that fast... nobody will see the little glitch... ahahahah

2hndsmke
02-11-2008, 01:35 PM
so my car shitted the tcm and now they wouldnt replace it even though im still within warranty. they tried to tell me that it was the alarm system that the dealer installed for me...the freakin identity alarm system. im sure some of u guys have it. well that is not it. and then they were tryin to charge me 500 to begin anything. when im still under warranty. my car has 33600 miles on it. and i bought it in march 2005. not only that i bought the 5 year extended warranty. wtf!!!!! security chevrolet dealer can go f--k themselves. i dont understand y they didnt replace it. now my car dont shift and and cant tell how fast im goin cuz my speedometer dont work. so yea this shait sucks.
Thats bullshit, my car did the same thing and I don't have that alarm system. My dealer had to replace it though cause they couldn't come up with any decent excuses.

Redbalt24
02-11-2008, 04:57 PM
My radio went crazy all the displays lit up and the thing would freeze up and blink everyonce in awhile. The dealer replaced it they said that it was a bad unit. I have a 06 ss/sc..

domin8_gt
02-15-2008, 01:50 AM
I see here that this site does not have a search function. Therefore I am asking if anyone knows what is causing the squeaking noise that is apparent from the rear chassis when going over bumps. The noise didn't start until after about 12000 miles.

Don't worry about it. It'll go away. Mine did it the first winter I had it. It won't happen when it gets warmer, and didn't come back when this winter hit. It's just a cold thing.

2hndsmke
02-16-2008, 01:21 PM
did you just get the dealer to replace the bushings? I couldn't find an aftermarket source for better components.

nateb06ss
04-12-2008, 02:06 PM
Hey everyone I have a new one I haven't heard of yet. I have an '06 ss sc with 27,000 miles on it. Last weekend I was taking off from a stoplight right when I went to shift from 4,000 rpm's into 2nd gear and my car died. after coasting off to the side of the road, calling a to truck and getting it over to the dealership. I found that my camshaft position sensor had failed. They also told me that this is a part that usually goes out in large trucks around 80,000 miles. Well they replaced it. But!.... I was driving home from work yesterday when suddenly My "SES" light came on. it seemed to be running fine but who knows. Has anyone else heard of this? Any help would be appreciated. Thanks,

Nate
Sacramento CA.

nathan.buchanan@comcast.net

2k7eatonSS
04-15-2008, 09:57 PM
yea o had the same problem in my 07 first they replaced the crank positioning sensor then a few weeks later the problem came right back but we checked there was a loose cable and that fixed it u might wanna have em check the wire for the sensor...

MrChevCobaltSS
06-17-2008, 09:36 PM
I had the problem with my shifter plate (1-2-3-4-5-R) fell off i took it in they fixed it and put a new one on same one not a ugly other shifter.. but they want the old peice back.. good thing i kept it..

zillaguy07
08-21-2008, 01:09 AM
Thats bullshit, my car did the same thing and I don't have that alarm system. My dealer had to replace it though cause they couldn't come up with any decent excuses.

Well, mine isnt an SS, mine is an 07 LT2 automatic, I was having a problem with engine surging when just applying a bit of throttle, like going up hills and things, not enough to kick it into passing gear, it would act like the TCC would lock and unlock rapidly. I'd get a 2 or 300 RPM jump and fall, it was really getting annoying, SO I took it in, I had a few other problems too, but anyways, GM told me there was a TSB out on that, and they flashed the TCM and it hasnt done it since, its been about 2 weeks now.

My shifter (auto) was making a god-awful creak coming out of park, after about the second day I owned it. Turns out the whole assembly had broken where it bolts to the floor, they replaced the whole shifter assembly. Dont ask me how that happened....I'm not rough on stuff.

My real Beef was the fact tha I was cruising down the interstate at 2:30 in the morning, so I'm cookin 75-80 MPH, just chillin out and having a nice drive, and all the sudden the headlights just shut off by themselves. I'd been having issues with them flickering when switching from high beam to low for a while, but just wrote it off and ignored it...typical GM multi-function switch problem...but anyways, the dealership wont do anything about it because "they cant duplicate the problem". I guess I got a taste of my own medicine there...haha. But I'm pretty pissed about that....fix all the rudy-poo B.S. I complained about, but wont do anything about a big safety issue....and then on top of that, they want their "completely satisfied" on their customer survey.....they actually called my house twice to make sure everything was OK....I told them if they'd fix my headlight problem I would be completely satisfied, but until then, I'm not. I dont believe they'll let a car roll out like that, and I work the night shift at the chrysler dealer right next door to the chevy dealer....hmmmm

mcphbrad88
02-04-2009, 12:11 AM
Has anyone had any problems with Speedo gauge either sticking, the speed showing much slower then your moving, and gowing below 0 while moving. this has happend 4 times, no one can figure out whats wrong and when i go to bring it to the dealer its working totaly fine. all the connections are good. the only thing i can think of is a faulty gauge.

ROBERTSTAGE2SS
02-10-2009, 01:07 PM
i was wondering if anyone could help me out i have an 05 ss/sc with mods but anyways i was driving last night up a canyon when sudenlly my power steering went out i dont know why but i turned off my car and when i restarted it it was fine do u guys know what this problem may be. thanks

cobaltSSSC18
02-11-2009, 04:38 PM
i have the problem with my wheels chipping.. i took it to the dealer last spring and they said they couldnt do anything because there was a chip due to taking the wheel off when getting new tires... but i dont see how that one chip caused the rest of the wheel to peel and all 4 of the other ones because i only changed 2 tires... im pissed cause it looks like complete shit

rguitar7
04-03-2009, 05:49 PM
Hi all~

I bought an 09 SS in November of last year, and it has been an awesome car. However, I scraped the bottom of the car pulling out of a parking lot and the car died. It would restart over and over, but as soon as I took my foot off of the throttle, the engine would stop. Turns out, that little scrape on the undercarriage was enough to crack my intercooler--a 900+$ repair that my insurance won't cover due to my 1000$ deductible, and the warranty doesn't cover bc it is considered damage.

Upon looking at the underside of the car, I really think this is a manufacturing flaw. The intercooler hangs down lower than the chassis, which means it is incredibly vulnerable to this kind of damage.

U8_mY_g00ch
04-05-2009, 02:53 PM
^^^Damn that sucks dude

JAYNO20
06-13-2009, 01:41 PM
I am not sure I understand this completely... are the wheels chipping an issue that the dealer will fix? Like a recall almost? If they will fix them does it have to be where you bought it from?

CobaltSSilver
06-13-2009, 06:28 PM
I am not sure I understand this completely... are the wheels chipping an issue that the dealer will fix? Like a recall almost? If they will fix them does it have to be where you bought it from?

Possibly, not likely and no you can get warranty work done at any Chevy dealer.

Boosted1
07-21-2009, 02:14 PM
keep getting engine power reduced dealer cant find anything wrong any sugg....

CobaltSSilver
07-21-2009, 04:48 PM

Much like visiting a Dr.....get another opinion, or even a 3rd dealer to check out your ride.

1fastSSCob
01-27-2010, 09:58 PM
I have had a weird problem, I just bout a 2007 cobalt SS/SC and sometimes when im really getting on her when I shift its like it is still in neutral so I shift to the next gear and it does it still til i let off the gas pedal for a couple seconds. Is that a well known problem...the car had 19.4k miles on it when I bought it.

1fastSSCob
01-27-2010, 10:07 PM

Are they running a full diagnostics analysis on it? Get 1-2 more opinions, when do you notice the power reduction i.e gear/speed/rpms. Maybe a performance mod done wrong if any mods have been done.

CobaltSSilver
01-27-2010, 10:31 PM
I have had a weird problem, I just bout a 2007 cobalt SS/SC and sometimes when im really getting on her when I shift its like it is still in neutral so I shift to the next gear and it does it still til i let off the gas pedal for a couple seconds. Is that a well known problem...the car had 19.4k miles on it when I bought it.

If you are in gear, foot is off the clutch pedal your right foot is in the thr***le and the RPM is just flying up as if you are in neutral sitting and revving the motor then it 'sounds like' your clutch is failing. What mods are on the car if any? If the car is stock it may just be a bad clutch part or it could've been abused by the previous owner. If it has some heavy mods it could just bee too much power and you need to upgrade. GMPP has a clutch option for our cars that is rated for 300 HP. I plan on upgrading my clutch down the road but 47K miles so far on the stock clutch and I have a fair amount of mods.

CobaltSSilver
01-28-2010, 06:07 AM

Hey not sure if you are still battling this or not, but I just received a notice from GM yesterday about my SS/SC. It states that any engine power issues and messages across the display for engine power reduced is due to a catalytic converter issue. This is for the LSJ only. They state that they will replace it for free, car has to be less than 10 years old and have less than 120,000 miles.

U8_mY_g00ch
01-28-2010, 12:24 PM

I would guess that the clutch is gone. Mine does the same thing sometimes. Our cars are known for crappy clutches

1fastSSCob
01-28-2010, 05:15 PM
If the clutch was completely gone I would know that, im not sure if it was abused or not, hard to tell. It doesn't do it alll the time, just sometimes. There are no mods yet, ill keep an eye on thing, if it keeps doing it im taking it in because it is still under the 48/48 warranty. If it is the clutch, is there aftermarket I can get that won't void the warranty? Possibly from GMPP?

TheBalt
01-28-2010, 06:29 PM
i have a problem with my driver side door handle, i can pull the handle and nothing happens, it seems like the internal parts aint working your something. Let me know if anybody else has this problem

CobaltSSilver
01-28-2010, 08:24 PM
i have a problem with my driver side door handle, i can pull the handle and nothing happens, it seems like the internal parts aint working your something. Let me know if anybody else has this problem

It is possibly just the inner latch of the door. If you are under warranty take it in. Otherwise it is a few hundred bucks depending on what exactly is wrong.

CobaltSSilver
01-28-2010, 08:29 PM
If the clutch was completely gone I would know that, im not sure if it was abused or not, hard to tell. It doesn't do it alll the time, just sometimes. There are no mods yet, ill keep an eye on thing, if it keeps doing it im taking it in because it is still under the 48/48 warranty. If it is the clutch, is there aftermarket I can get that won't void the warranty? Possibly from GMPP?

Go back and read my response to you. GMPP makes a clutch that is good to 300 HP, some say even more.

It does sound like your clutch is slipping under heavy load. Basically it doesn't have enough clamping pressure. Or at least the symptoms you describe lead me to think that. Only way to know is to look at it/get it checked out. The clutch is not covered, but in some rare instances if your dealer believes it is clutch failure based on faulty parts/improper install from the factory they would warranty it. Otherwise I would put in the GMPP clutch or something similar from the aftermarket. Just depends on what you plan to do with the car.

CobaltSSilver
01-28-2010, 08:40 PM
1fastSSCob...Also which gear(s) if any are hard to shift into or won't shift into at times? It might be the pin giving way, that is a known problem since it is weak. If you shift hard or have a short throw that can give way too. Just take it into the dealer and have them check it out. How many miles do you have on the car now?

lemonade07
03-23-2010, 10:19 AM
anyone have a problem with the doors not opening? like there locked? also i had a question.. carfax says my car is salvage the title doesnt.. it has 26000 miles and the dealer wont touch anything on the car without me paying for it.. they wont even do the safety recall on my power steering which is out and hard as f*ck to turn. i thought they shuld at least do the safety recall?

CobaltSSilver
03-23-2010, 11:36 AM
anyone have a problem with the doors not opening? like there locked? also i had a question.. carfax says my car is salvage the title doesnt.. it has 26000 miles and the dealer wont touch anything on the car without me paying for it.. they wont even do the safety recall on my power steering which is out and hard as f*ck to turn. i thought they shuld at least do the safety recall?

If your car is a salvage title you won't get any warranty work that's for sure. Ya the safety recall you would think, but their stance is probably that the whole car is screwed because of the salvage title.

If carfax shows it, then it must've been titled as such at some point. Whom did you buy it from? If they didn't disclose that depending on the laws and how long ago you might have a leg to stand on to get your money back if you want. Just depends on the circumstances in which you purchased the vehicle.

chevyrodney
03-23-2010, 11:51 AM

Salvage title is just that, salvaged. The vehicle was totalled out, someone bought the vehicle and repaired it, then resold it. Legally it should have a "blue" title or something along the lines of a remanufactored title. A dealership is not obligated to repair a totalled vehicle/salvage title, and the warranty is definately void, on all repairs, including recalls. If you did not know it was a salvaged title when you purchased it, and the seller didnt disclose that info, you me have some laws that will be in your favor, check with your local authorities. PM or post your complete VIN number and I can check GM and see if I can get any info for you.

Rodney

StrobeSS
04-11-2011, 06:06 PM
I have a difficult problem. I bought an '07 SS S/C recently, and the computer keeps tripping on a code. I use an Actron OBDII PocketScan, and the code is P0420 (Catalyst efficiency below threshold, bank 1). After inspection, the stock cat had been removed, and a straight pipe was installed, so I took it to a muffler shop, had a hi-flo cat put back on along with a new down stream O2 sensor. It'll go along fine for maybe 5-8mins (until the computer runs a scan on itself again), then pops the same code. It doesn't matter if the car is just idling, or if i am at 12psi/110mph, it still does it.
I thought at first it was something tied into the supercharger (hence the run at 110mph), but as I said, it did it at idle at the c-store too.
It's f'n aggravating, and any help would be appreciated from a knowledgeable donor.

I don't know a lot about the history of this car with the previous owners, but it's in really good shape, 96K miles, no mods.

RedSStreak
04-11-2011, 06:35 PM
The O2 sensor is gone bro ;)

http://www.p0420.com/

06cobalt racer
04-11-2011, 06:57 PM
I have a difficult problem. I bought an '07 SS S/C recently, and the computer keeps tripping on a code. I use an Actron OBDII PocketScan, and the code is P0420 (Catalyst efficiency below threshold, bank 1). After inspection, the stock cat had been removed, and a straight pipe was installed, so I took it to a muffler shop, had a hi-flo cat put back on along with a new down stream O2 sensor. It'll go along fine for maybe 5-8mins (until the computer runs a scan on itself again), then pops the same code. It doesn't matter if the car is just idling, or if i am at 12psi/110mph, it still does it.
I thought at first it was something tied into the supercharger (hence the run at 110mph), but as I said, it did it at idle at the c-store too.
It's f'n aggravating, and any help would be appreciated from a knowledgeable donor.

I don't know a lot about the history of this car with the previous owners, but it's in really good shape, 96K miles, no mods.

even with a hi-flow cat on there it will still pop the code sometimes. this is because even though there is a cat there it is a lot igher flowing then stock and the computer isnt set-up to see hi flow figures so it thinks the cat is not working properly.

does that make sense?

RedSStreak
04-11-2011, 07:59 PM
The SS/SC came with a high flow cat from the factory. If this still happens, it is an O2 sensor (not the downstream, the upper O2 is what causes a bank#1 code). My link explains it....

06cobalt racer
04-11-2011, 11:43 PM
Yes that is true. But there is a difference between a factory hi flow and an aftermarket one. Aftermarket flows more. And as your link states a REAR o2 sensor trips a 0420 code and he already changed that.

RedSStreak
04-12-2011, 12:11 AM
Yes this is true.... But an aftermarket catalytic converter should not trip a code if you also put a test pipe. Better flow is less stress on the engine meaning it would throw a misfire at the most. Get it checked out by a tuner or such and maybe they should be able to help you a little more. On all vehicles we have tested, just changing the upstream O2 sensor, with the addition of the downstream, that code clears. Its doesn't just apply to our cars so its pretty common. Either that or get the headers checked. There may be a crack on the stock exhaust manifold.??

06cobalt racer
04-12-2011, 07:30 AM
the upstream 02 sensor has nothing to do with the cat. the upstream one is used to regulate fuel ratio's. the only job the downstream one has is to check the cat to see if it is working. if the header was cracked then he would hear it. it would also trip a lean code.

RedSStreak
04-12-2011, 10:16 AM
The code does indicate that bank 1 is lean.... That is why I said to check the exhaust manifold. You don't have to hear it to be broken. And even though the upstream has nothing to do with the cat, it still measures the exhaust flow and then the downstream recollects info to indicate efficiency. I still say check all the exhaust and make sure that everything is working in order. I have diagnosed and cured a lot vehicles with this code by simply replacing the O2 sensors, and if that wasn't the issue, the cat. But since he said that he has done that, must be something bigger. The car has a stage 2 already so he is running higher temps than stock so it has to be that some part failed prematurely.

mfowler
05-15-2011, 10:31 PM
Today one of my spark plugs blew rite out of the head ruining the coil pack and also tore the threads rite out of the head... anyone else experience this?

RedSStreak
05-16-2011, 03:09 PM
^^

Wow, :eek:

No actually that is a new one to me as well. Sounds like you got something serious going on there.

mfowler
05-16-2011, 04:19 PM
yeah i havent heard of this happening to anyone else... well she was taken to the dealer today on a flat bed so hopefully i will hear from the dealer tomorrow!

RedSStreak
05-16-2011, 04:34 PM
Gud luck on that. Hopefully the Balt will come back ready to run hard for 100k ;)

mfowler
05-16-2011, 08:09 PM
Hopefully considering theres only 66k on her!

Mentalm
05-17-2011, 07:29 AM
wow ive never heard of that happening :O id of !@#!@#!@ myself lol.. hope all ends up well bro.

mfowler
05-30-2011, 12:05 PM
Finally got the car back on friday fully covered under warranty! they installed a new head and coil packs

RedSStreak
05-30-2011, 09:17 PM
Thats awesome. Good to hear that the Balt took a good trip to recover. :)