Cobalts SS banner

Base Cobalt Govenor

12K views 66 replies 22 participants last post by  Badmunky 
#1 ·
My base Cobalt has a govenor. This spoils things for me on a freeway race. Even the tires are S rated (up to 100mph I think, or maybe it was 110?), I'm planning on putting some better tires on. I take the car up to 105 and the gas cuts. Does anyone know if it is just a chip, or is it in the ECU? I would like to scrap the govenor and a how to would be appreciated if possible. Or maybe one of my fellow Houstonians can reccomend a shop. Mines family oriented and I know they wouldn't do it.

#5 ·
clevelander2002 said:
Its loaded, with the sport appearance package but it still has the same motor as the base.
it doesnt matter if it has the same motor. thats not how they come up with the speed the will govern it at. they go by the tires. she has the upgraded ones which allows her to go 120. the other guy has stock steel rims with hubcaps and cheaper tires so its only allowed to go 105.

#7 ·
Yeah, I got a 05' base model. Sport pkg not availiable for it. But at least it's a stick! So exactly how would I go about gettin rid of the gonernor? Could I get the dealership to do it after I get better tires?

#8 ·
KillahKermitt said:
Yeah, I got a 05' base model. Sport pkg not availiable for it. But at least it's a stick! So exactly how would I go about gettin rid of the gonernor? Could I get the dealership to do it after I get better tires?
no the dealer will not do it. you need to look for an aftermarket company with some kind of power programmer.

#9 ·
Yeah. I get what you're saying. Now that I think about it, asking the dealership to do it after I bought better tires is kinda stupid. But at least I go by the rule that there's never a stupid question when I really know that there are quite a few out there.

#11 ·
Well, the speed limit on the freeways vary from 60 to 65 yes. But there are certain areas where the cops rarely patrol so yeah I've gotten it there plenty of times. You know, you got the punk kid who refuses to admit he's lost..., even when you've put two to three car lengths on him and still pullin. Alot of the time when I'm on the Sam Houston Parkway (a huge loop around Houston) where there are few lights, even fewer cops, and long straights. I only race late at night w/ few other motorists on the road. Most everybody does 80 to 85 anyway.

#12 ·
governor bypass

i had a 2003 cavalier 2.2 ecotec. my governor shut it down at 108 but i found a way to bypass that.
you need about 16 feet of wire and a on/off switch. cut the wire in half so you have two 8 foot pieces.
you will need to find your vehicle speed (vss) sensor. it will be on your tranny.
it will have two wires coming out of it, one should be purple. cut the purple one in half. splice one of your 8 foot pieces of wire into one end of the purple wire. do the same for the other end. run both pieces of wire through your fire wall and find a easy to reach location for your toggle switch. hook your toggle switch to both pieces of wire and you will have your governor bypass switch.
keep your switch on until you want to go faster than 105. right before you shut down turn the switch off and your speedo will go back to 0 and you will keep going faster. your tach will still work so you know when you are about to redline.
i strongly suggest you get higher rated tires and a better suspension. your car is governed at 105 because your tires and suspension wont handle high speeds.
i had my cavalier to 140 at 5000 rpms redline was 6500 rpms.
you might want to look at your owners manual for the vss sensor. i had a cavalier but the motor and tranny is the same so it should work.

#15 ·
you will have to set the ecu every couple of days. the only time your speedo wont work is when you turn the switch off to go over 105. the tach still works so you will know approximately how fast you are going. oh and also you wont lose powersteering assist at all. i had the same motor and tranny as a cobalt ls and it worked great for me. but also my warranty was already void because of after market parts so it really didnt matter.

#17 ·
Does the base cobalt have drive by wire like the ss/sc. Youll definitely lose power steering too. It was funny when i bought my car and the salesman pointed at the brake fluid and said it was the power steering fluid. I laughed and had to correct him that there is no fluid to check.

#21 ·
Maybe I should just waite until my warranty runs out. I am very fond of "ghetto rigging my shit", but nowadays the manufacturers are making it harder and harder. I'll still look for a way around it in the meantime though. :D

#23 ·
kermitt, if you do plan on ghetto rigging it as mentioned, be sure to test it BEFORE you go all the way up to 105, thats never a good time to find out that the car basically dies on you if you do it...try at like 10 mph and see what happens then, you should be able to tell...but I also say doing it right with a programmer of some sort is the way to go.

#25 ·
Annihilator said:
kermitt, if you do plan on ghetto rigging it as mentioned, be sure to test it BEFORE you go all the way up to 105, thats never a good time to find out that the car basically dies on you if you do it...try at like 10 mph and see what happens then, you should be able to tell...but I also say doing it right with a programmer of some sort is the way to go.
Mos def. I don't want people to read in the obichuary that Killah Kermitt died last night while doing over 105 in his Cobalt. His car shutdown w/ the flip of a switch and then slammed into a guard rail. Then into a 18 wheeler. Then into the front end of a Lambo where he when correening into the air for about 200 feet where his car finally blew up. :confused: :( :mad: :p

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.