ZZP Header [Archive] - Chevy Cobalt SS Forum : Chevrolet Cobalt SS Forums

: ZZP Header

jwolf8604
06-18-2007, 12:14 PM
Well, my zzp shorty header will be here tomorrow. I am really excited about getting it put on. Will I notice a significant difference from the stock manifold????? It might seem late to ask, but I knew I wanted a header and didn't want the gmpp manifold. So will I notice a big difference, and if so, where in the power band???

jwolf8604
06-20-2007, 05:58 PM
Comon guys.....Will I feel torque or hp with this header??????? ....or both :rolleyes:

Doc
06-20-2007, 07:15 PM
you'll notice both....nothing extreme.

jwolf8604
06-22-2007, 06:50 AM
First off, I love the header. I'm taking it back to the guy who put it on cause there were some problems. When my engine torqes down, my downpipe (stock one) is rubbing up against something (can't tell what it is). My heat sheild is also missing a screw and there is a very obnoxious ticking noise (maybe an exhaust leak). Other than that, I am really satisfied with the header.

Doc
06-22-2007, 05:48 PM
I bet its rubbing on the sway bar....you can see it if you look through the engine bay, following the downpipe down where it crosses over the sway bar. Hopefully it isn't the coolant tube that crosses close by.

KlugSRT-4v2
06-22-2007, 06:16 PM
First off, I love the header. I'm taking it back to the guy who put it on cause there were some problems. When my engine torqes down, my downpipe (stock one) is rubbing up against something (can't tell what it is). My heat sheild is also missing a screw and there is a very obnoxious ticking noise (maybe an exhaust leak). Other than that, I am really satisfied with the header.

You might want to get that looked at and fixed. I know in the GTP world, the downpipe hitting the sway bar would cause false knock and pull timing = Less Power. Not sure if this can do the same on a cobalt?

SuperSlow07
06-22-2007, 07:25 PM
You might want to get that looked at and fixed. I know in the GTP world, the downpipe hitting the sway bar would cause false knock and pull timing = Less Power. Not sure if this can do the same on a cobalt?

my brother had a gtp a while ago and that was happening. we fixed it by flipping the sway bar upside down.

jwolf8604
06-23-2007, 01:29 AM
Yea, the downpipe was vibrating against the sway bar when my engine would torque down. Got it fixed, and one of the bolts on the left port was loose causing the exhaust leak. He fixed both today, and offered me a gatorade and a ride in his 03 SVT Cobra (Convertable w/ 450 whp). We called it even.:D

matt_SS_205
06-23-2007, 07:08 AM
so did you notice much of a performance gain with the header?

jwolf8604
06-23-2007, 09:20 AM
Absolutely. Like doc said, it is nothing dramatic, but it gives your exhaust a little bit better tone (I still have stock exhaust). You notice an increase in torque and in horsepower and the car sounds mean, even with stock exhaust. Not too loud, just sounds angry and feels like it flows better. I would def. reccomend!

matt_SS_205
06-23-2007, 10:23 AM
Absolutely. Like doc said, it is nothing dramatic, but it gives your exhaust a little bit better tone (I still have stock exhaust). You notice an increase in torque and in horsepower and the car sounds mean, even with stock exhaust. Not too loud, just sounds angry and feels like it flows better. I would def. reccomend!

ok sweet, i have been trying to decide which header to go with, there are alot out there

Doc
06-23-2007, 02:33 PM
to be honest, the headers available are pretty much the same. Well, not exactly, the shorty style ones are gonna give similar performance, zzp, intense, cobalt addiction, cti, hahn all make a version. The mid length header is newer and I haven't seen too many people with them, zzp makes one. Then there is the longer 4-2-1 style like pacesetter. Getting the coating makes sense for long term reliability, not too sure about the performance edge at this point. The coated ones sure look good though.

matt_SS_205
06-23-2007, 02:49 PM
to be honest, the headers available are pretty much the same. Well, not exactly, the shorty style ones are gonna give similar performance, zzp, intense, cobalt addiction, cti, hahn all make a version. The mid length header is newer and I haven't seen too many people with them, zzp makes one. Then there is the longer 4-2-1 style like pacesetter. Getting the coating makes sense for long term reliability, not too sure about the performance edge at this point. The coated ones sure look good though.

yeah i have come to that realization that there is not much performance differance between them, but i don't want anything that i'm gonna have to do major exhaust work, as you have to on the long tube headers, i just want one that will match up to the same points the stock header, dp, and exhaust do. zzp is at the top of my list right now, i've heard nothing but good about them, and also what dp would you guys recomend, i want a high flow cat on it.

HaLt 2da coBaLt
06-23-2007, 07:21 PM
I've been looking at headers, but I've heard that ANY header but the GMPP one would completely void your warranty. Are there any downpipes that don't risk the warranty? Sorry bout the extra question in the post =(

Doc
06-24-2007, 02:46 PM
yeah i have come to that realization that there is not much performance differance between them, but i don't want anything that i'm gonna have to do major exhaust work, as you have to on the long tube headers, i just want one that will match up to the same points the stock header, dp, and exhaust do. zzp is at the top of my list right now, i've heard nothing but good about them, and also what dp would you guys recomend, i want a high flow cat on it.
ZZP has a really nice downpipe/hi-flow cat...I believe they have a 2.5" and 3". If they don't have a 2.5" then cobalt addiction carries one.
I've been looking at headers, but I've heard that ANY header but the GMPP one would completely void your warranty. Are there any downpipes that don't risk the warranty? Sorry bout the extra question in the post =(
This honestly depends on where you take the car for service. The the GMPP manifold, you can't tell the difference unless you take it off and examine it. Even then, there will be carbon buildup so it'd have to be clean....i sure as hell wouldn't go that far to prove a point. Actually, pay the dealership to install the header, they will usually warranty the work not the part. If the part fails, its on you to fix....if they do a crappy install, not tightening the bolts, its on them.

matt_SS_205
06-24-2007, 07:05 PM
ZZP has a really nice downpipe/hi-flow cat...I believe they have a 2.5" and 3". If they don't have a 2.5" then cobalt addiction carries one.

This honestly depends on where you take the car for service. The the GMPP manifold, you can't tell the difference unless you take it off and examine it. Even then, there will be carbon buildup so it'd have to be clean....i sure as hell wouldn't go that far to prove a point. Actually, pay the dealership to install the header, they will usually warranty the work not the part. If the part fails, its on you to fix....if they do a crappy install, not tightening the bolts, its on them.

just your opinion, which would be better 2.5 or 3 inch?

Doc
06-24-2007, 07:11 PM
I like the 3" but its stepped down near the flange so it can go into most cat backs.

matt_SS_205
06-24-2007, 08:09 PM
ok thanks, i don't have any money to do anything right now anyway, just ordered Eibach Sportlines this afternoon

jwolf8604
06-25-2007, 08:49 AM
Holy crap guys, my MPG is dropping like a bad habit. I understand that it "depends on driving conditions". But I am attempting to keep it high. I am not driving hard at all but my MPG is down to 25.4 and still dropping. Doc, did this happen to you????? (I am highway driving and it is still dropping, 70 mph cruise control)

Doc
06-25-2007, 10:30 AM
Holy crap guys, my MPG is dropping like a bad habit. I understand that it "depends on driving conditions". But I am attempting to keep it high. I am not driving hard at all but my MPG is down to 25.4 and still dropping. Doc, did this happen to you????? (I am highway driving and it is still dropping, 70 mph cruise control)
No it didn't. Do you have anything else done, like a tune..?
If you don't, it might be dumping fuel to compensate for the extra flow. My mpg is actually very good, for the most part. Lately it sucks because I live about a mile from work.

jwolf8604
06-25-2007, 11:27 AM
Just the stage 2 tune

Doc
06-25-2007, 06:38 PM
hhmm...I dunno. It could be a number of things.

JCobalt
06-27-2007, 10:36 PM
i just got the long tube headers from zzp with the high flow cat.i think there great themoved my peak hp from 5800 to 6400, and they made my torque curve really flat. i make peak torque at like 3700 and it only drops like 10 tq to like 5500. Its also quiet but aggressve sounding, but i have stock exhaust so thats probably why. There well worth the money