Cobalts SS banner

Force induction help

2K views 4 replies 5 participants last post by  CoBIZZLE 
#1 · (Edited)
I heard rumors of people adding making plans to add turbos ontop of the super or some other setup, and as i sit here looking at my engine i cant help but wonder if the turbo wouldnt do any good cause the air still has to go at the speed comming out of the super(at max 12 psi).
If u set the turbo at a higher psi you'd be wasting the use of the turbo cause id backfeed into the super, and if u reverse it u have the turbo set lower the super charger is basically sucking it off :), and if u set them the same it achieves nothing(i think).
======================================
for example;
now: intake
v
super @ 12 psi
v
engine geting 12 psi boost
-------------------------------------------------
w/turbo: intake
v
turbo at any given psi (ex. 14)
v
super @ 12 psi
v
engine still getting 12 psi boost
======================================
Or am i just ignorant and overlooking somthin...
any help appreciated

See less See more
#4 ·
The way the Supercharger/Turbocharger set up is engineered the Super takes the engine from idle up (to around 3K RPM's) and then the turbo re-charges the compressed air and takes the engine from there to the limiter at an even higher PSI.
Superchargers are efficient at getting the vehicle launched while a turbo works great at higher RPM's, but it takes some professional engineering to put a reliable system together and get it operating well.

#5 ·
Yeah what he said, they would be lookin into this to provide a constant high boost level instead of having the lower lag of a turbo and the drop off of boost that a s/c may have. And besides if someone was lookin into producin a unit like this I would assume that they would modify the computer to null and void that stupid 12 psi limit horse sh!t. ;)

Imagine how that would sound!!! S/C whine AND turbo spool with a blow off valve, I cant eve imagine, I think it would be cool as hell!! :cool:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.