Cobalts SS banner

Engine will not turn over

15K views 12 replies 6 participants last post by  CObalt88 
#1 ·
Here is the story. As some of you know, I took my car down last weekend for some mods, flywheel, clutch upgrade, CAI, polyurethane engine mounts and so on. Anyway, I buttoned everything up today and got in the car, hit the key and the engine would not crank. Has anyone had this problem? I am getting a check engine light, but OnStar diagnostics is not giving me any help. Right now, I have the battery disconnected again for overnight. When I first tried to start it, I was getting some weird stuff such as the words "Power Steering" in my driver information center. I realized that I did not fully seat the connectors in the ECM when I put it back in, so I did and the "Power Steering" message disappeared, but that was when I got the check engine light. Now when I turn the key on, I hear the fuel pump come on and certain items in the engine compartment "waking up", but still no crank. I thought maybe I left a connector unplugged, but I crawed all around the engine compartment and did not find any that I did not re-connect. I am sure it will be something simple, but I don't know where to look at this point. If you have experienced a similar problem, let me know.

#3 ·
The starter does not give any indication of even trying to engage. I am going to put it back up in the air and check the trigger wire to the starter. I was able to turn things over by hand when hooking up the axles.

#5 · (Edited)
Id say its not a starter problem. My guess is its in theft mode, or you forgot a connector unplugged. Im thinking the one on the driverside firewall. In eithier case you will need a scan tool to clear the theft codes. Umm if i were you id jump the starter relay at the underhood fuse block. It should crank and start if it a theft code. Hope that helps. One more thing check your two grounds on the front bell housing bolt.

#6 ·
OK, here is an update. I have checked every fuse and switched all the circuit breakers under the hood with known good ones. Still no crank. With the key in the run position, I jump the soloniod on the starter and the engine starts. Go for a drive(short) and put back in barn. Engine does not crank. Checked the clutch engage switch at the pedal and it is hooked up. Searched high and low for a connector that I missed or a loose ground. Nothing. Need a circuit diagram to go any further.

two grounds on front bell housing bolt. I will check them tonight. Thanks.

#7 ·
soccer1061287 said:
OK, here is an update. I have checked every fuse and switched all the circuit breakers under the hood with known good ones. Still no crank. With the key in the run position, I jump the soloniod on the starter and the engine starts. Go for a drive(short) and put back in barn. Engine does not crank. Checked the clutch engage switch at the pedal and it is hooked up. Searched high and low for a connector that I missed or a loose ground. Nothing. Need a circuit diagram to go any further.

two grounds on front bell housing bolt. I will check them tonight. Thanks.
Well its not power to the starter that is a problem you have proven that.

My first thought it was the clutch pedal. not here is the deal. I dont want to over simplify the problem but some times if the clutch is not all the way down my car wont turn over either. could that be it? or is it bent down there so the switch is not being depressed all the way? can you bypass the switch just to ensure that is not the problem?

I believe it is the relay circuit from the ignition to the clutch pedal to the starter some where. I sure hope I got your gears turning enough for you to find the problem.

Let me know how it turns out.

#8 ·
I checked the clutch pedal switch and it is being activated. I ran a ground directly from a starter bolt to a chassis ground and that did not do it. I think I will bring a tech 2 home from work tomorrow and see if there are any stored codes. But when the engine starts by jumping 12V to the solonoid, the check engine light goes out. I have felt all around for a connector that may be disconnected or a ground that is hanging and I find none.

#11 ·
i don't know about anyone else, but that cel isn't anything important. when i turn my car to just acc, the cel comes on. so, that's probably the reason why the cel is on, because you can turn on acc's. that's about all the help i can offer...

#12 ·
Found the problem. Car is running. When I re-installed the ECM, two pins on the top connector got bent. Straightened the pins and everything is fine.

#13 · (Edited)
Here is the story. As some of you know, I took my car down last weekend for some mods, flywheel, clutch upgrade, CAI, polyurethane engine mounts and so on. Anyway, I buttoned everything up today and got in the car, hit the key and the engine would not crank. Has anyone had this problem? I am getting a check engine light, but OnStar diagnostics is not giving me any help. Right now, I have the battery disconnected again for overnight. When I first tried to start it, I was getting some weird stuff such as the words "Power Steering" in my driver information center. I realized that I did not fully seat the connectors in the ECM when I put it back in, so I did and the "Power Steering" message disappeared, but that was when I got the check engine light. Now when I turn the key on, I hear the fuel pump come on and certain items in the engine compartment "waking up", but still no crank. I thought maybe I left a connector unplugged, but I crawed all around the engine compartment and did not find any that I did not re-connect. I am sure it will be something simple, but I don't know where to look at this point. If you have experienced a similar problem, let me know.
check in the fuse/relay panels to see if there is a starter relay that could be bad. I assume you assembled the engine so I would guess that one thing to check would be your timing, it could be out 180 but normally it would back fire. Do not use cheap plugs in this engine.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.