Cobalts SS banner

tightening the e-brakes

18K views 11 replies 5 participants last post by  BlueSteffan 
#1 ·
Has anybody tightened their emergency brakes before, if so, how easy is it and what 's the procedure? Thanks!

#2 ·
You do not have any drum brakes in the rear hub so the only way to do it is to tighten the cable. And for these vehicles, according to all the mechanics and personal friends that are mechanics do not recommend that. Only for the sole purpose that if you tighten too much, it could be engaged all the time slight enough to wear your pads prematurely and you will have the same issue all over again. The need to adjust it. The best thing to do is to inspect the rear brakes and if they are low, upgrade your rear rotors to drilled or slotted and change the pads to your choosing.:)

#3 ·
i did it in my tc a few weeks ago. i just slid the ebrake cover off and tightened the bolt beside it it was seriously just hanging there loose. i think the bolt backs off over time all i know is the brake is maxed out when pulled for it to grab yet again alredy... now if thats the way to do it im not sure i just saw a how to and decided to try it all i did was tighten the bolt till the nut was wobbley i guess is the best way to put it. basicly made it snug.... it made my ebrake grab alot sooner and better for a few weeks but now its the same issue so maybe give that a try?

#6 ·
Well, I think on my version of the cobalt, I think they're self adjusting...I could be wrong and somebody correct me if I am. But what's happening with mine is that when I disengage my ebrakes, they don't fully detract or disengage because I could feel it dragging. I have to manually disengage it with my hands by getting under the car. Is there something I need to grease or what?

#8 ·
the pin the i forget i think it lifts up by the clamp that turns when u pull up the e-brake. that needs to be regressed when u have that issue. sounds like its staying stuck. if u look at the rear wheels u can see the pins im talking about hopefully u get what i mean. now im not the most car savey guy but ive read and seen it discussed alot.

#10 · (Edited)
ill see if i can get pictures but may be late next week. at the soonest

*from what ive been told and read the cobalts e-brake is self adjusting the only adjustment i know that can be made is if you remove the plastic e-brake cover theres a 10mm bolt that u tighten and it does something cause ive done it on mine which wasnt grabing and now it is. and has been for a few days . u removed the middle trim peace / rear cup holders / ebrake plastic cover. and its right there raise and drop the e-brake a few times to settle the hardware. the tighten the bolt u may have to tighten the bolt a few times with the ebrake raised then lower it and tighten it untill it finaly grabs at a normal height

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.