Cobalts SS banner

Brake Dust

2K views 5 replies 5 participants last post by  HeppyCat 
#1 ·
My wife's 06 SS sedan has about 21,00 miles on it. She has owned it since new.I have to clean the brake dust of the front wheels at least once a week. The brakes are about halfway worn out, the rotors are wearing at a good rate also. I think I will be replacing the rotors when I replace the pads. The brakes are not dragging , so why the heavy brake dust on the wheels? Before any of you jokers comment about my wife road racing the car, she is a good, careful driver LOL. This car dusts the wheels more than any car I have ever owned.

Thanks Mr Chuck

#3 ·
You guys work yourself up over stupid stuff "if it ain't broke dont fix it" you can get a low dust pad but they will not give you as much grip. Its just the compound of the brake pad. You should see my mother carbon brakes on her car. It goes black with in a week. Michelin makes a brake dust repellant for your wheels you can get it at autozone.

#4 ·
I got the ceramic brake pads at autozone, and yes, they dont bite nearly as hard, but the wheels stay clean. The part number for the front brakes are Duralast Golds DG1028 (SS coupe). I also got new rotors at the same time. I havnt washed my car in about a week and the wheels look shiny and new, and I live on a dirt road. I am assuming this is a notorious problem for the cobalts.

#5 ·
You guys are right, it has great brakes. I guess the dust is a small price to pay for the braking this car has. I'll keep washing them once a week I guess. We have had a lot of rain lately, it seems like the rain made the black stain on the wheels worse.

Mr Chuck

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.