Hahn or Gm performance parts? - Page 2 - Chevy Cobalt SS Forum : Chevrolet Cobalt SS Forums
Mark Forums Read

Auto Insurance

» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Chevy Cobalt SS Forum : Chevrolet Cobalt SS Forums > Cobalt SS Discussion > Performance Modifications

CobaltSS.com is the premier Chevrolet Cobalt Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 12-19-2009, 04:59 PM   #11
Turbalt

Quote:
Originally Posted by skoal*boy View Post
IMO and in fact, The GM tune will only give you 20hp and 40tq, comparded to trifecta and HPT that will get it around 310-320hp, And if you read his first post he said

"got all the major upgrades" I would think a tune would be a major upgrade. but i could be wrong.

And even if you do get the GMPP tune, even if you get all the charge piping, CAI, exhaust ect. it still has the learn down, so its not going to give you anything besides the 20hp and 40tq
You realize you're quoting GM on the horsepower results and not what people are actually seeing on the dyno, right? Do more research and you'll see that the results people are actually getting are in line with what I originally said. 40whp and 50-60wtq.

Second, what's this "all the major upgrades" you speak of? I reviewed the whole thread and never saw any mention of any such quote.

Third, the GMPP tune gets rid of the learn down. Again, you need to do more research.

Finally, you were right in your original post that he won't see the same hp with the GMPP kit that he would with the Hahn intake/catback. He'll definitely see much MORE hp with the GMPP tune and still be under warranty.
Turbalt is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-21-2009, 05:25 AM   #12
skoal*boy
Super Moderator

Garage
How about you read his first post
skoal*boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2009, 05:27 AM   #13
skoal*boy
Super Moderator

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by vdizz View Post
Hey guys,

I bought an 09 cobalt ss/tc about 2 months ago and got all the major upgrades, But I also purchased the extra warranty or whatever which lasts about 72 months on certain things, I was wondering if it would be better to go with hahn's cold air intake/exhaust and the whole deal or stay under warranty with gm performance parts. The dealership said they fully cover all gm performance parts but I've been looking around at specs and stuff and comparing between brands and I've noticed Hahn is one of the best for the ss and want to buy those parts but just want to know if anyone has had problems with any certain aftermarket brands and if hahn warranties there cold air intake/exhaust kit. Thanks!
I guess you missed this post,

And i will give the learn down with the stage kit, but i have to see someone dyno with the stage kit, That might be 40hp to the crank

Last edited by skoal*boy; 12-21-2009 at 05:51 AM.
Old 01-10-2010, 08:39 AM   #14
michmo

itss to my undertanding that once you get the gm tune, that it removes the learn down feature.
michmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2010, 10:36 AM   #15
skoal*boy
Super Moderator

Garage
I have read that it does, and also doesnt so i dont know. But its still not worth $650 or however much it is IMO
Old 01-10-2010, 10:51 AM   #16
IdreamofYenko

The GMPP Stage 1 tune DOES NOT remove the learn down feature it simply moves it up. It gives you a cushion of about 20 whp. You get a boost of anywhere between 20-40 hp depending on the dyno and environment during the dyno. After the tune you can only get about another 20ish from bolt-ons before the learn down kicks back in.
IdreamofYenko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2011, 08:41 AM   #17
kromko52
Contributing User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbalt View Post
You're getting bad advice, in my opinion.

First, does Hahn even offer a tune unless you're at their shop? I assume they do, but if you're getting a tune then I'd go with the Trifecta tune or a HP tune from someone in your area.

Second, if you're looking for performance parts without a tune then you'll get next to nothing out of anything Hahn offers because of the learn down feature on these cars. Again, people suggesting you get bolt-on parts without a tune are simply giving you bad advice. I'm shocked and saddened that a vendor would recommend you buy his parts without a tune knowing that the car won't benefit from them.

My suggestion? Get the GMMP tune that will give you 40hp and 60lb/tq and enjoy your warranty. If you absolutely don't want to keep your warranty then get the Trifecta selectable tune, a charge pipe, down pipe, and do the modified stock air box with a K&N filter. You can choose Hahn if you like because their parts are great, but more expensive than you'll pay for other very similar items. The only item from Hahn that I'd buy is the cat back because it is the least obnoxious sounding. Then again, you gain so little hp for that mod vs cost that it's not worth it.

Tune, charge pipe, down pipe (catless if you can in your area), modified stock airbox with K&N. Those are the mods you want to start with, imo.
hahn does offer a tune that you can do yourself with a laptop
kromko52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2011, 03:32 PM   #18
heavyrocktunes

i have an 09 ss/tc, i went with only hahn performance... my car 323hp and 361tq with a tuner, charge air pipng, exhaust, downpipe, and intercooler. I think that they have extremely good quality parts and would def recommend them. the only downside is the trifecta tune is currently the best for this car and would recemmend that over the bsr ppc tuner that hahn offers
heavyrocktunes is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement