3rd brake light led conversion - Chevy Cobalt SS Forum : Chevrolet Cobalt SS Forums
Mark Forums Read

Auto Insurance

» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Chevy Cobalt SS Forum : Chevrolet Cobalt SS Forums > Cobalt SS Discussion > General Discussion

CobaltSS.com is the premier Chevrolet Cobalt Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 07-23-2006, 08:15 PM   #1
domin8_gt
Contributing User

3rd brake light led conversion

It's really simple, and you use GM parts. Take a look and tell me what you think. I know the light looks crooked, but it's not. It's my camera phone, and unlevel ground. I think this looks a lot better than the stupid 3 bulb system that the Cobalt's were made with.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	07_23_06_1928.jpg
Views:	169
Size:	37.2 KB
ID:	1092   Click image for larger version

Name:	07_23_06_1929.jpg
Views:	145
Size:	24.1 KB
ID:	1093  

07 Sport Red 4 door SS:
-sticking around for now
domin8_gt is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-23-2006, 08:16 PM   #2
wyoming_bass
Contributing User

Quote:
Originally Posted by domin8_gt
It's really simple, and you use GM parts. Take a look and tell me what you think. I know the light looks crooked, but it's not. It's my camera phone, and unlevel ground.

there are three cobalts out here that have done this and it looks so much cleaner!

Cobalt SS/SC Yellow = My Car
Cobalt LS Granite Blue = Wifes Car
Cofounder - www.rockymountainecotec.net
wyoming_bass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2006, 08:17 PM   #3
domin8_gt
Contributing User

I knew you would be all over this. This is only the beginning of this mod. More is just around the corner. Just waiting for a delivery.

07 Sport Red 4 door SS:
-sticking around for now
Old 07-23-2006, 08:52 PM   #4
wyoming_bass
Contributing User

Quote:
Originally Posted by domin8_gt
I knew you would be all over this. This is only the beginning of this mod. More is just around the corner. Just waiting for a delivery.

right on man.. i was just letting everyone else know from somone elses point of view thats all.. actually only 2 cars here right now have them mikes and mine. but chris got his board today and im sure will be putting it in this week!

Cobalt SS/SC Yellow = My Car
Cobalt LS Granite Blue = Wifes Car
Cofounder - www.rockymountainecotec.net
wyoming_bass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2006, 09:20 PM   #5
dawhit99
Contributing User

Wanna post a how to with part numbers, etc? I would love to do that but would like to know how much it costs first.
dawhit99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2006, 09:34 PM   #6
2.4litersoffury
Contributing User

Yeah i def want the part number for that it looks rlly nice
I love f-250's.
2.4litersoffury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2006, 02:10 AM   #7
domin8_gt
Contributing User

How to for led 3rd brake light

Quote:
Originally Posted by dawhit99
Wanna post a how to with part numbers, etc? I would love to do that but would like to know how much it costs first.
I hope you don't mind Curtis. I'm posting a how to for this.

First off, I want to thank Curtis for him showing me this and telling me how to do it.
This mod is amazingly simple, and is fairly inexpensive. Less than $60 (supplier pricing) for me and takes about 30 minutes to do.

1) Go to Chevy dealer and get the 3rd brake light for the 2004 Chevy Impala. I'm sorry, I don't know the part number. This item lists for approx. $70-$75. Go home and disassemble this part. All you want is the piece that looks like a computer board with several led lights.

2) Remove trunk lid liner by removing the 7 plastic retaining caps.

3) Remove stock brake light by removing the 2 10mm nuts. When trying to pull the light out there is a retaining type of clip think on the right side, just push that to the left and pull light out. Unplug.

4) Disassemble Cobalt 3rd brake light. The part that you don't need is the black portion that contains the 3 bulbs.

5) Affix the Impala led board to the silver reflective housing some how. I used 2 sided tape, just like the same that is used to hold on badges and body molding since this is durable to heat. I did this by folding 2 strips about 3/4" long over the 2 creases that seperate the portions of reflective area in the silver housing and then one long strip on the back of the light board. I then centered the board in the housing and pressed firmly down to make it stick. If you do this, be careful to not break the board. Other people have superglued this in. Don't use gorilla glue. It won't work. Didn't for me.

6) To wire the board in correctly first pull the Cobalt plug through the housing and past the light board so that you can plug in the lights.

7) And here's where you need to be very careful to what you are doing. The plug is labeled with which side is "+" and which side is "-" by marking them "A" and "B". Since the Impala didn't have a plug on the board, just 2 colored wires with tabs in which you can insert into the Cobalt plug you will need to make sure You identify "A" and "B". The red wire goes in "A", the black wire goes in "B". I then used electrical tape and wrapped this up to prevent any problems here, though it really doesn't need it. Then push the plug with wires behind the light board.

8) Reattatch red brake lens to housing and reinsert entire light into trunk making sure the light is properly placed.

9) Then tighten down with 2 nuts that you removed earlier and replace trunk liner and reinsert plastic caps.

It's that simple. The Impala light is kept in stock, so no special ordering needed.

If you have any further questions, please feel free to ask.

Oh, one last thing. I have been asked to refer to this as the CMD light, not the led light. Curtis, Mike, and Dave of www.RockyMountainEcotec.net came up with this.

07 Sport Red 4 door SS:
-sticking around for now
Old 07-28-2006, 04:25 PM   #8
domin8_gt
Contributing User

Here's an update of my project

I just had these made today for the 3rd brake light. I can get them in any color if anybody wants these. I've paid for the art work, so I think the cost is quite reasonable. If anybody wants one just let me know. I can get it to you in about 1 week for $20. I don't expect everybody to PM me for one, but I won't recoop my cost until I sell 7 of these at that price. I'm sorry the pic isn't the greatest. It should be showing silver. The silver looks like a very close match to the car color. I'll let you know when I install it tonight. Won't be doing it then because it is too hot and I don't want it to bubble.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	07_28_06_1606.jpg
Views:	115
Size:	19.6 KB
ID:	1095  

07 Sport Red 4 door SS:
-sticking around for now
Old 07-28-2006, 04:26 PM   #9
domin8_gt
Contributing User

This is going to look awesome with the led conversion I have already done.

07 Sport Red 4 door SS:
-sticking around for now
Old 07-28-2006, 07:50 PM   #10
domin8_gt
Contributing User

Finally, I'm done

Here it is, installed.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	07_28_06_1659.jpg
Views:	116