Cobalts SS banner

(Possible) 2008 Cobalt Recall....

4K views 6 replies 4 participants last post by  08cbltsprt 
#1 ·
I have heard there is a recall on 2008 Balts with the 2.2 engine. I don't know if it includes earlier years/other engines or not. I also hear it is a very simple recall, such as a defective coolant clamp or something.
Ha,,, seems I'm not a "wealth of knowledge" on this. Has anyone else heard of this or know the exact facts surrounding this issue?
Thanks in advance, as usual!!

GTO 1

#3 ·
According to GM's service information website there is a preliminary engineering TSB about coolant loss on all '07-'08 L61 2.2's. They are attempting to determine the cause of it but have no idea what it is at this time. All they say is to look at coolant leak service procedures. They wouldn't recall cars for coolant issues unless people started destroying engines from it. Which knowing how bright everyone is, is a very destinct possibility.

#6 · (Edited)
Here it is Guys..... (and Gals!)

#07255: Customer Satisfaction -- Coolant Leak - (Oct 4, 2007)

Subject:07255 -- Coolant Leak

Models: 2008 Chevrolet Cobalt
2008 Pontiac G5

THIS PROGRAM IS IN EFFECT UNTIL OCTOBER 31, 2008.
Condition

On certain 2008 model year Chevrolet Cobalt and Pontiac G5 vehicles, the hose connecting the surge tank to the thermostat cover may not seal sufficiently. This could result in a coolant leak at the thermostat cover. If enough coolant leaks out, the engine coolant temperature warning light will illuminate. If the vehicle is driven with the light illuminated, it could result in engine damage.
Correction

Dealers are to install an additional clamp to the hose at the thermostat cover.
Vehicles Involved

Involved are certain 2008 model year Chevrolet Cobalt and Pontiac G5 vehicles built within these VIN breakpoints:

2008 Chevrolet Cobalt 87100001--87125118
2008 Pontiac G5 87100006--87125081

Important: Dealers are to confirm vehicle eligibility prior to beginning repairs by using the GM Vehicle Inquiry System (GMVIS). Not all vehicles within the above breakpoints may be involved.

For dealers with involved vehicles, a listing with involved vehicles containing the complete vehicle identification number, customer name, and address information has been prepared and will be provided through the applicable system listed below. Dealers will not have a report available if they have no involved vehicles currently assigned.

-- US dealers - GM DealerWorld Recall Information

-- Canadian dealers - GMinfoNet Recall Reports

The listing may contain customer names and addresses obtained from Motor Vehicle Registration Records. The use of such motor vehicle registration data for any purpose other than follow-up necessary to complete this program is a violation of law in several states/provinces/countries. Accordingly, you are urged to limit the use of this report to the follow-up necessary to complete this program.
Parts Information

Parts required to complete this program are to be obtained from General Motors Service and Parts Operations (GMSPO). Please refer to your "involved vehicles listing" before ordering parts. Normal orders should be placed on a DRO = Daily Replenishment Order. In an emergency situation, parts should be ordered on a CSO = Customer Special Order.

Part Number
11571080 Clamp, Rad Surge Tk Otlt Hose

12346290 - US Coolant, Eng (Extended Life) (DexCool)
10953464 - CN As Needed

Service Procedure

1. Remove the engine cover.
1.1. Unscrew the oil cap.
1.2. Pull upward on the cover to unseat the cover from the pins.

2. Open the spring clamp and push the hose fully down to the thermostat cover housing.

3. Install the hose clamp.
3.1. Open the hose clamp fully, disengaging the worm screw.
3.2. Slide the hose clamp over the surge tank outlet hose.
3.3. Hand-start the worm screw to engage the hose clamp over the hose.
3.4. Position the hose clamp along the top of the existing spring clamp. The screw head should be on the outboard side of the hose and facing forward.

3.5. Tighten the hose clamp. Keep the two clamps beside each other but with no overlap.

4. If the surge tank fluid level is below the cold full line, top it off to the line with coolant.

5. Wipe any spilled or leaked coolant from the engine and engine compartment.

6. Replace the engine cover.
6.1. Engage the two pins.
6.2. Replace the oil cap.

#7 ·
Holy crap. My bad, when I did the search that didn't come up. Well, now I know. I know at my shop we've had to warranty a couple of '07 Ion 2.2L cylinder heads for leaks too. I am so glad the Ion is gone. Anybody who says the Ion and the Cobalt are the same is full of crap. They ride the same chassis and use the same powertrains but they are NOT the same car.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.