ignition/starting problem - Chevy Cobalt SS Forum : Chevrolet Cobalt SS Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-22-2009, 07:38 PM Thread Starter

ignition/starting problem

i hooked up some fog lights tonight and the car was fine. next thing i know i go to leave my house and my car wont start. it cranks, but doesnt start. it ticks and ticks and ticks. im so pissed i have no clue. i checked all the fuses that i knew had to deal with the problem, non of them are blown everythings good. i can crank the car let off the key, and still have in the clutch and it still cranks for a couple seconds.

i tried jump starting it, and it tells me check my charge system. everything plugged in i didnt unplug anything. please help.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-22-2009, 08:27 PM
Super Moderator

Garage
do you have a short somewhere?

I was beat by RKRamos.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-22-2009, 08:44 PM Thread Starter

i dont see why i would. i mean everything was fine. i pulled the inj. fuse on accident, could that be the problem? but i put it back in

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-16-2009, 11:58 AM

Have you tried unplugging the headlamps and ballasts, then try to start the car? What did you tie into for the power feed to the ballast? What did you use for a ground?

Last edited by frstgrdedropout; 10-16-2009 at 12:10 PM.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-16-2009, 12:07 PM

Probably not your issue but read and check

#05-07-30-016C: Transmission Control Module (TCM) Shorted to Battery Voltage During Diagnosis, Service or Jump Starting - (Oct 7, 2009)

Subject: Transmission Control Module (TCM) Shorted To Battery Voltage During Diagnosis, Service or Jump-Starting

Models: 2005-2010 Chevrolet Cobalt

2006-2010 Chevrolet HHR

2006-2010 Chevrolet Express

2006-2010 GMC Savana

2005-2006 Pontiac Pursuit (Canada)

2007-2010 Pontiac G5

2005-2007 Saturn ION

with 4T40-E or 4T45-E or 4L60-E Automatic Transmission (RPO MN4, MN5, M30)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

This bulletin is being revised to add models and update the model years. Please discard Corporate Bulletin Number 05-07-30-016B (Section 07 - Transmission/Transaxle).

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

It has been found during warranty part reviews of the TCM at the Warranty Parts Center (WPC) that the TCM is possibly being shorted to battery voltage during vehicle diagnosis and/or repairs when the vehicle is brought to the dealer for any number of reasons.

It has been found that if the positive battery jump start post/terminal cover is removed and/or missing, and the TCM comes in contact with the positive battery jump start post/terminal during diagnosis and/or service, the TCM WILL BE DAMAGED and require replacement.

Service Precautions
• Prior to removing the TCM from its mounting bracket, disconnect the negative battery cable. Refer to the appropriate SI Document.

• If service requires the negative battery cable to be installed for diagnostic purposes, unplug the TCM before it is removed from its mounting bracket. Unplugging the TCM will eliminate the possibility of damaging the module during diagnosis and/or repair.

Caution: Control module damage may result when the metal case contacts battery voltage. DO NOT contact the control module metal case with battery voltage when servicing a control module, using battery booster cables, or when charging the vehicle's battery. DO NOT us the TCM or its mounting bracket/fasteners as the ground connection when jump-starting.

DO NOT allow the TCM to come in contact with the positive battery jump start post/terminal during diagnosis and/or repairs.

Positive Battery Jump Post/Terminal (Remote Positive Terminal) Location
The location of the positive battery jump post/terminal for each vehicle (excluding Express and Savana) is shown in the following illustrations. Do NOT allow any part of the TCM to come into contact with the positive battery jump start post/terminal.

Chevrolet Cobalt and Pontiac Pursuit/G5

Chevrolet HHR

Saturn ION
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-16-2009, 12:09 PM

Also when you remove battery power the di pump will evacuate fuel pressure and it may take several seconds and a couple of cranks to start the car.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-12-2016, 10:08 AM

Thanks for the post guys, useful information!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy Cobalt SS Forum : Chevrolet Cobalt SS Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode