rough starting - Chevy Cobalt SS Forum : Chevrolet Cobalt SS Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-18-2005, 09:16 PM Thread Starter

rough starting

does anyone else have this ???

when you "get on your car" (you know..high speeds, running out gears), turn off your SS(maybe you killed it ) and starting it like less than 5 minutes later, it starts a little rougher than you would like. for a split second i wonder if it will start, then it goes.. just something i've noticed...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-19-2005, 01:10 AM

I have this problem with my redline. I always thought, maybe the excess heat from the s/c sitting IN the s/c than being forced into the engine with basically no cooling effect makes it hard for the engine to turn over. Though I know nothing about engines except basic knowledge (hot air is bad, cold air is good, blah blah blah, etc) so I could/probably am wrong on this. Just my imput though.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-19-2005, 10:27 AM

its from the boost you get when your on it and the heat....try leting the engine idle for 30-60 seconds to let the engine and supercharger cool down and and than shut it off. than it should go away

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-20-2005, 10:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by krzykarl
does anyone else have this ???

when you "get on your car" (you know..high speeds, running out gears), turn off your SS(maybe you killed it ) and starting it like less than 5 minutes later, it starts a little rougher than you would like. for a split second i wonder if it will start, then it goes.. just something i've noticed...

I have had this problem on other cars before. I was always told is was caused by heat soak in the engine. ?
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-27-2005, 11:40 AM
Contributing User

Quote:
Originally Posted by nice_n_lo_silverado
its from the boost you get when your on it and the heat....try leting the engine idle for 30-60 seconds to let the engine and supercharger cool down and and than shut it off. than it should go away
This could be part of the issue on the SS but my LS will do the same thing. I think it's mainly to do with the engine and no so much the S/C itself because we're having similar issues across both the S/C and non-S/C models. It does show up however after longer trips particularly with the mad humid summer we've been having. I always make sure to turn off the A/C before I shut off my car so it doesn't startup the compressor at the same time as the engine as well though this doesnt seem to have much of an effect.

Permafried-
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-27-2005, 05:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 05BlackSS
I have had this problem on other cars before. I was always told is was caused by heat soak in the engine. ?
exactly right. does not have much to do with the superchager. it is heat soak causing it. when you turn off you car you would think it would start cooling off right away but the engine actually gets quite a bit hotter before it cools down
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-28-2005, 03:07 AM
Contributing User

Send a message via AIM to skater2968 Send a message via Yahoo to skater2968
i get it in my LS when starting up in the morning tho, and actually at any time of day. i always kill the radio and a/c before turning it off at night, and wait for the fuel pump to prime fully before starting, so could it still be heat soak? what happens to me is, when i start it it revs to 1500 rpms, drops to 500 rpms, revs back to 1500 rpms, back to 500 rpms, then levels off to idle. is this what you all are experiencing?

2003 Red Mitsubishi Evo VIII GSR: It's Modded...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-04-2005, 07:35 AM

I have a redline and I've noticed a little roughness starting it and I asked someone at the dealership that owned one also and they told me to let it run for a little bit when you park and it should really help with it. If you just kill the car it'll choke a little when you go to start it up.
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-04-2005, 07:55 AM

Ok guys... This works two ways... All cars have this similarity & its not a problem. The car has a coolant temp sensor thats usually bolted onto the head. It tell the computer how hot or cold the car is based on the coolant. If a car is too cold, the engine would crank a few times developing heat.When it reaches that temp when less engine wear would occur the car would turn-over. Same goes when its too hot. When the cooler coolant is circulated into the engines' head assembly the car would turn-over.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy Cobalt SS Forum : Chevrolet Cobalt SS Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode