Rear Inner Brake problems SS/TC - Chevy Cobalt SS Forum : Chevrolet Cobalt SS Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-04-2009, 11:49 AM Thread Starter

Rear Inner Brake problems SS/TC

My left inner rear brake pad detached from it's backing on Sunday, causing a loss of pressure (and therefore braking power) throughout the brake system in my 2009 Cobalt SS (@ about 18350 miles). I inspected the entire vehicle's braking system less than a week before this occurrence (@ about 17850 miles), and everything was within normal limits and wearing properly. It was going to be at least another 10k miles before any of the brakes needed attention.

I was denied a repair under warranty by my local dealership, after a very brief inspection. Even their own mechanic, their best mechanic, agreed that it was a warranty issue, but was afraid to get in trouble for doing so.

So after appealing to corporate GM, again I was denied.

Thanks for s***ing on the little guy GM. I appreciate that. Oh, and thank you for treating me like an idiot. It was obvious that this was a repair that should be covered under warranty, but because I could not prove without a shred of doubt that it was a sudden failure, I was denied coverage. Furthermore, this is a serious safety issue. Sudden brake failure on a car that is only 6 months old, with less than 20k miles is not something to take lightly, but according to GM, it's "routine maintenance" or "regular wear and tear".

It's not like I bought the vehicle in May of 2009 to help bail GM out in their time of need. And it's not like this is my fifth Chevrolet out of the 6 cars I've owned. It's not like I've done them any favors. I guess good service is not part of their commitment to good customers.

I bought an American car, to help an American company, when everyone is selling out our country to Japan and China. While I still don't agree with doing so... I'll seriously consider my next vehicle purchase being a Honda.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-04-2009, 12:22 PM
Super Moderator

Garage
Thats crap, my back breaks wore down because of a messed up capliper, and they fixed it. Iam not 100% sure that that should be a 3 year 36,000

I was beat by RKRamos.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-04-2009, 01:14 PM
Contributing User

That is crap. I work at a chevy dealer as a brake tech and if there is plenty of pad life left then this is a warranty repair. I believe you are to far away for me to help. Mark this up against your local dealer and not all dealers. Some of us out there still be lieve in customer service.

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-24-2009, 03:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmdale1984 View Post
My left inner rear brake pad detached from it's backing on Sunday, causing a loss of pressure (and therefore braking power) throughout the brake system in my 2009 Cobalt SS (@ about 18350 miles). I inspected the entire vehicle's braking system less than a week before this occurrence (@ about 17850 miles), and everything was within normal limits and wearing properly. It was going to be at least another 10k miles before any of the brakes needed attention.

I was denied a repair under warranty by my local dealership, after a very brief inspection. Even their own mechanic, their best mechanic, agreed that it was a warranty issue, but was afraid to get in trouble for doing so.

So after appealing to corporate GM, again I was denied.

Thanks for s***ing on the little guy GM. I appreciate that. Oh, and thank you for treating me like an idiot. It was obvious that this was a repair that should be covered under warranty, but because I could not prove without a shred of doubt that it was a sudden failure, I was denied coverage. Furthermore, this is a serious safety issue. Sudden brake failure on a car that is only 6 months old, with less than 20k miles is not something to take lightly, but according to GM, it's "routine maintenance" or "regular wear and tear".

It's not like I bought the vehicle in May of 2009 to help bail GM out in their time of need. And it's not like this is my fifth Chevrolet out of the 6 cars I've owned. It's not like I've done them any favors. I guess good service is not part of their commitment to good customers.

I bought an American car, to help an American company, when everyone is selling out our country to Japan and China. While I still don't agree with doing so... I'll seriously consider my next vehicle purchase being a Honda.
If you go to a gm dealer for regular maintenance. Then you would have a record of you break linings with your dealer. Then they could see a sudden drop in pad material. For all they know you drove around with you park brake on. Gm has a free multi point inspection that the dealer keeps records off. This would have been you proof. And the dealership is more likely to help you in a bind if you doing regular maintenace with them. Most imports require that you do their exact maintenance scedule with a dealer, or they void your
warrenty. Gm does not do this.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-25-2009, 06:22 AM
Super Moderator

Garage
Is like a 25k mile maintenaces for these cars? I have looked and cant find it anywhere.

I was beat by RKRamos.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-25-2009, 12:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by skoal*boy View Post
Is like a 25k mile maintenaces for these cars? I have looked and cant find it anywhere.
Chevy has a "maintenace one" that they want you to do. Which includes....
Oil change, top off fluids, add bg moa "mobil oil system cleaner/conditioner", add bg cf5 "fuel system cleaner/conditioner". Gm multi point inspection "gm on a roll"-. Inspect for leaks. Inspect the brake system. rotate and inspect tires.
Our maintenace one costs $194.95 includes all parts and fluids.

I would recomend replacing the brake fluid. Brake fluid is hydroscopic (absorbs water). And if your doing hard driving the moisture in the brake fluid could boil, getting air into the system. The moisture will also corrode brake components. Also would recomend doing and induction and or a fuel system service.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-30-2009, 05:13 AM
Super Moderator

Garage
When do i need to get this?

I was beat by RKRamos.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy Cobalt SS Forum : Chevrolet Cobalt SS Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode