intercooler is vulnerable - Chevy Cobalt SS Forum : Chevrolet Cobalt SS Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 38 (permalink) Old 11-24-2009, 10:18 AM Thread Starter

intercooler is vulnerable

To all 09 SS/TC owners: be very careful when going over bumps, dips, and steep driveways or you will crack your intercooler! You may have to slow down to idle speed and/or go across at an angle.
This results in loss of boost pressure, loss of power, and may cause the car to idle poorly or stall completely. The warranty won't cover it, (because its damage, not a manufacturing defect) and insurance will but its marked down as an at-fault accident, even though its not an accident. It's really a design flaw. I told the dealer this and told them they need to report it to GM.
I wish I had done something about it after the first time. That's right, it happened to me twice and at least one other member has mentioned it. The roads in my area are designed poorly, but I thought if I drove carefully it wouldn't happen again.
My plan is if GM doesn't issue a recall, (not likely) I will either get an after market intercooler that is mounted above the front crossmember, or weld on some steel pieces to hang down. I'd rather bounce off a steel bar than my intercooler again.
Does anyone know where or to who at GM I can send a nasty letter about this? I want nothing less than for GM to issue a recall, and it would be nice if they will refund my $1500.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 38 (permalink) Old 11-24-2009, 12:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbgun06 View Post
To all 09 SS/TC owners: be very careful when going over bumps, dips, and steep driveways or you will crack your intercooler! You may have to slow down to idle speed and/or go across at an angle.
This results in loss of boost pressure, loss of power, and may cause the car to idle poorly or stall completely. The warranty won't cover it, (because its damage, not a manufacturing defect) and insurance will but its marked down as an at-fault accident, even though its not an accident. It's really a design flaw. I told the dealer this and told them they need to report it to GM.
I wish I had done something about it after the first time. That's right, it happened to me twice and at least one other member has mentioned it. The roads in my area are designed poorly, but I thought if I drove carefully it wouldn't happen again.
My plan is if GM doesn't issue a recall, (not likely) I will either get an after market intercooler that is mounted above the front crossmember, or weld on some steel pieces to hang down. I'd rather bounce off a steel bar than my intercooler again.
Does anyone know where or to who at GM I can send a nasty letter about this? I want nothing less than for GM to issue a recall, and it would be nice if they will refund my $1500.
It should be covered under warrenty as long as there in no impact damage to the intercooler. If you go over a bump and the intercooler cracks that is a manufacturing defect. Gm didnt properly isolate the intercooler from the chasis. Now if you ran the front of the car over a curb and the curb physically hit the intercooler causing it to bend or crack, that would not be
warrenty. The dealership probably wont call gm for this issure. You should call the gm customer service line and tell them your issue.
post #3 of 38 (permalink) Old 11-24-2009, 12:20 PM
Super Moderator

Garage
See the stock on is a poor and cheap design, And i know that was going to happen, so i just went ahead and bought a aftermarket one.

I was beat by RKRamos.

post #4 of 38 (permalink) Old 11-24-2009, 02:27 PM Thread Starter

skoal*boy, how high does your intercooler sit? Mine is 7.5 inches from the ground. The front fascia and frame member are both 7 inches, but won't do anything to protect the intercooler if the road is steep enough. It looks to me like I could shorten the pipes and move the whole thing up.
Thanks for the help. I don't want to order anything just yet, because they never show just how things fit in the vehicle.
post #5 of 38 (permalink) Old 11-24-2009, 04:28 PM

Garage
You know that you can go to any sheet metal fabricator and have them make a scrape plate to protect it a little more.... I am considering it greatly and it would probably even look cool!

But sorry that the design is so poor.
post #6 of 38 (permalink) Old 11-25-2009, 06:20 AM
Super Moderator

Garage
mine is 7in of the ground, but i dont have a problem with it unless i get to close to a curb, but then my front lip hits it first.

I was beat by RKRamos.
post #7 of 38 (permalink) Old 11-25-2009, 05:00 PM
Contributing User

Wait just a sec you spent $1500???? Fuck me that's alot. Crazy Steve's are like $250, Synapse are $450. But back to the topic, I would have a shop fabricate a diamond plate skid plate, that would look sick (and be efficient).

'09 ss/tc white sedan
lsd, matte black wheels, black headlights, smoked taillights, Hahn CAI, custom catless dp, custom exhaust, Injen CP, trifecta multi-stage tune, dejon bpv spring
post #8 of 38 (permalink) Old 11-25-2009, 07:45 PM
Super Moderator

Garage
yea but GM might cause a fuss because of an aftermarket intercooler. Just like everyone that has a tune should take it off before going to the dealership. As far as i know its pretty easy to pull the tune. And i was told GM cant tell how many tunes have been on there unless the dealership has to send in the ECU

I was beat by RKRamos.
post #9 of 38 (permalink) Old 11-25-2009, 10:57 PM
Contributing User

^^True true, they deff could make a fuss. My tune is undetectable by GM tech2s.' It is detectable if they send off the ECM, but here in WV that's not likely to happen. It's all who you know in this world.

'09 ss/tc white sedan
lsd, matte black wheels, black headlights, smoked taillights, Hahn CAI, custom catless dp, custom exhaust, Injen CP, trifecta multi-stage tune, dejon bpv spring
post #10 of 38 (permalink) Old 11-27-2009, 05:48 PM
Super Moderator

Garage
yea that is the one good thing about the trifecta tunes. How many PSI are you running? And i dont really think that gm will fuss about an aftermarket intercooler to much considering that its better for motor

I was beat by RKRamos.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy Cobalt SS Forum : Chevrolet Cobalt SS Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode