SS problem - Chevy Cobalt SS Forum : Chevrolet Cobalt SS Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-20-2005, 07:08 PM Thread Starter

SS problem

The car started fine, everything normal. When I pulled onto the street, my security light comes on. My a/c stopped working, and my cc also quit working. I pulled into a gas station parking lot to turn the car off, and restart, sthinking maybe I just need to reset everything. Then the damned car doesn't start! So i call Onstar, and they couldn't help cuz there was no CEL. As I was waiting for them to put a GM mechanic on the "phone", I tried starting it again, and it came on. Everything was great again. A/C worked fine. When I got on the freeway, the light came back on, and a/c quit and cc quit again. The car drives fine though, no engine troubles or stalling. When i get to work, I call my dealer and the guy seemed pretty knowledgable. He knew right away what it might be (which is a bad sign). he said it was most likely some electrical problems in the steering column, like ignition or something. Gonna bring it in tomorrow.

Anyone else have this prob?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-20-2005, 07:12 PM

no.. that sucks.. i hope i don't have that problem. How long have you owned your car? how many miles on it??
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-20-2005, 07:13 PM Thread Starter

1850 miles

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-20-2005, 07:21 PM

Send a message via AIM to CoBIZZLE
Probably an issue with the theft system in the car. I have had that happen TONS of times when putting in security systems, remote starts, etc into GM vehicles, the security light comes on and we would have to wait like 15 minutes for it to go off so we could finish our work... (sometimes it was an easy way to get a free break ) If they have released a new version of Passlock (Passlock 3 or newer maybe...) then they might not have all the bugs out yet?!?! I dunno man, hope they get it taken care of, they may have to swap your whole computer cause I believe it is all tied in, maybe that'll reset your odometer !! And that sounds about right cause thats where we have to tie into the passlock systems at is usually in the steering coloumn... unless the bottom of the dash can drop away far enough.
Not sure if I cleared anything up or not, but hopefully its an easy fix for em...
Good luck!!!
Chris
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-20-2005, 07:32 PM Thread Starter

This is my first GM vehicle, so this is news to me. But from what you say and the dealer says, sounds like this is "normal" on GM vehicles. Oh yea, another strange thing happened...my boost guage "calibrated" itself when my car died. When I shut the car off in thr past, the needle would drop the the #20 on the vac side of the gage, when it's supposed to go to zero. Now, it's back to zero when the car is shut off lol.
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-20-2005, 07:36 PM

dead a/c probably means that the fans quit working. That is what he noticed. I would bet a ton of money that the battery is shot or a main ground has an intermittant short.
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-20-2005, 07:41 PM Thread Starter

The fans still work, it just blows hot air when the light comes on. When it goes off, ice cold air..weird.
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-22-2005, 07:32 PM

i have the exact problem with mine. everything is the same like you said with me. this happened to me twice so far. only thing different is my ABS light goes on during all this also. i have 1700 on mine but this began at 1400 and then around 100 miles later. keep me updated with your car so i can find out whats going on with mine and i dont have to wait a week for the tech to diagonis my car.
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-22-2005, 09:26 PM

It may be a the fuse box some wire may be shorting out. That's what happened to mine........
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-30-2005, 03:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spanky
i have the exact problem with mine. everything is the same like you said with me. this happened to me twice so far. only thing different is my ABS light goes on during all this also. i have 1700 on mine but this began at 1400 and then around 100 miles later. keep me updated with your car so i can find out whats going on with mine and i dont have to wait a week for the tech to diagonis my car.
My co-worker's 04 GMC Envoy had the exact same problem Spanky's SS has. The dealer replaced the ignition switch and it corrected the problem. There was a memo issued to dealers about it. Hope this helps you guys out.

Last edited by Golf Girl; 07-30-2005 at 06:07 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy Cobalt SS Forum : Chevrolet Cobalt SS Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode