Power Steering Light - Chevy Cobalt SS Forum : Chevrolet Cobalt SS Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 02-09-2010, 08:54 PM Thread Starter

Power Steering Light

I am not going to lie to you I love my 2006 Chevy Cobalt. We bought it brand new when I was 15 and I got the car for my sweet 16.
I have always had problems with it the day we brought it home the passenger air bag sensor wasnt hook-up and then there was a random squeak in the back seat when you would drive down the highway but those problems are fixed.
Just recently I was driving down my street in my addition and my power steering light came on and I had to completely shut my car off so i could steer again. This has happend to me twice in the past week. My dad works at GM and he said that its rumored that they might have a recall on the power steering. I was just wondering if the power steering problem has happened to anyone else and if it has is how much it is to get it fixed.
Thank you this would really help me out a lot.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 02-10-2010, 04:43 PM

Garage
Well, since I have bought my 2007 SS/SC, it has given me a couple problems and the power steering light was one of them. I gave it a little too much gas around a sharp bend on the way to work, lit the tires up and the light came on with a warning ding on my dash.

I thought nothing of it and still have ignored it to the day but what I think may be the problem is a bad connection with either the wiring to the power steering or a sensor may be loose and causing to make the fault code come on. Now I did NOT loose my power steering completely but then again for a service truck I drive a 90s Nissan pickup with no power steering at all so I may have not noticed it at all.

Only thing I would advise is to have the dealer look at all the connections and see if there is a problem with them at all.
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 02-22-2010, 08:21 AM

you sure are cute lol, yes i have the same problem with mine.. everytime i race or it wheel hops a little the power steering light comes on and i lose steering about 5 mins after, its currently out right now lol but its just popping the fuse in the right side kick panel, i put a new one in and it comes back.. still a stupid problem though i also heard of a recall i mean its pretty unsafe, im pretty strong and its hard to turn at a stop light for me lol

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 06-20-2012, 09:19 PM

I added power door locks to the car at about 10,000 miles. The intermittent problems started around 20,000 miles after the power steering motor was replaced in the recall. The car is out of warranty now. I spoke to the service manager about the problem within a week after the power steering motor was replaced.and he said he had never heard of that issue. Same response others have gotten when they spoke with their service department. This is not an isolated incident as there are many different reports just like this on the forums. I have not read a single report where the computer fixed the problem long term. In all cases I've read where the computer was replaced.the problem returned within a few months. I thought I had fixed.mine by deserting the fuses in the box under the hood but after about 5 months the problem returned. It seems to be a ground problem but I don't know which ones to work on.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 07-08-2012, 11:51 PM
Contributing User

Send a message via AIM to kromko52
this problem is covered under warantee GM sent out a recall on the cobalt steering so take it to your nearest dealer and problem solved i had both my 07 lt and my 08 SS taken to chevy on the same day before i had any problems so your welcome

435whp 402tq with the HAHN RACECRAFT SUPER 20G TURBO KIT
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy Cobalt SS Forum : Chevrolet Cobalt SS Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode