These Damned Clutches! - Chevy Cobalt SS Forum : Chevrolet Cobalt SS Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-13-2010, 09:01 PM Thread Starter
Contributing User

These Damned Clutches!

Ok, so I have an 06 'Balt LT and the clutch went out at 57,7XX miles less than 3,000 miles from when the warrantee expires. It was noticeably slipping for a while and then finally went out and now can be shifted into each gear with absolutely no catch what so ever. We had to rig it up to a tow strap and pull it to the GM Dealer. I have heard that the clutches in these vehicles suck but blowing a clutch WELL under 100k miles sounds crazy to me.

Now I have blown three clutches in my other cars (89 Probe GT Turbo at 145k, 80's Camaro with 130k or something that was a pos anyway, and a 95 Ford Aspire with 170k or something) but those were all high mileage original clutches. I am known to be hard on the shifting for shits and giggles but its not like I am flying around everywhere. For the most part I drive and accelerate just slightly faster than most traffic. So I shouldn't be my driving, right?

Now, I am waiting 2-3 weeks to hear from the GM dealer back home, while I am away at college with no damn car now, what the problem is and if it is covered under powertrain. My friends' dad does a lot with cars and that's how he makes his living and he said GM won't cover it under powertrain and his recommended shop that I had years earlier gone to for a rear ending told me his son had an SS and the clutch went out at 21k and they wouldn't replace it until they got all up on them about it. I hope I don't have to deal with that kind of stuff. It's the last thing I need right now.

Anyone had a similar experience? And if indeed they WON'T cover a clutch under powertrain. I will be buying and installing it with a buddy of mine. What clutch would you recommend as a relatively cheap, long lasting, mild performance yet still easy daily driver clutch? I only have plans to mod it out to a point where it would have an Cold Air Intake, an exhaust system, upgraded spark plugs, a performance chip or tune and maybe a turbo kit as far as added power goes. And those wouldn't be for another 2 years from now or so with being a broke ass college kid and all. Like I'd like to spend $300-400 tops for just a clutch or possibly $400-600 for a whole clutch kit (like the ones with flywheels and all).

So let's hear your opinions...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-14-2010, 04:42 PM
Super Moderator

Garage
No they wont, after 8k miles because its a wear out item.

I was beat by RKRamos.
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-15-2010, 10:52 AM Thread Starter
Contributing User

How do you only guarantee a clutch for 8,000 miles?

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-16-2010, 06:48 AM
Super Moderator

Garage
I dont know man, Because i had to get mine replaced at less then 9k miles and i got a goodwill marker. That was becasue i was over 8k miles. Now being at 57k miles i really really dont think they will fix it for free.

I was beat by RKRamos.
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-16-2010, 07:23 AM

2010 are guaranteed for 160000kms

everything in the powertrain is covered, clutch, gears,intercooler, turbo everything for 5 years/160000kms

the warranty is what pretty much sold me

....and the turbo
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-16-2010, 07:24 AM

it really should be covered if your powertrain is still under warranty

just read up on it
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-17-2010, 10:36 AM
Contributing User

Send a message via AIM to TurboTechRacing
SPEC Stage 3+ is the best... Well worth the upgrade from stock.

-Aaron

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-19-2010, 07:40 AM Thread Starter
Contributing User

I don't really need something as sporty as a stage 3. More looking at a stage 1 or 2. Also I need it a full kit with pressure plate, clutch and flywheel, and probably a slave cylinder. Although they said they will cover the slave cylinder under warranty.
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-19-2010, 03:28 PM
Contributing User

Send a message via AIM to TurboTechRacing
Stage 1 and 2 IMO are worse than the OEM. The first level of clutch that is better than the stock one is the SPEC stage 2+ and 3+...

Dont go cheap, you will hate it, and have to re do it and spend more $ in the long run.

-Aaron

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-20-2010, 02:08 PM

Garage
I already had to change my clutch and the funny thing is, I replaced it with a Luk and it is just a standard clutch but it grabs a whole lot better than the OEM. Mine would do such a weird thing that every time I quick shifted into second from first, it wouldn't grab and react as if I didn't engage and would ONLY grab if I got off the thr***le and then got back on. Then now with this one, I have no problem engaging and never really had any slip....

That may just be that Spec is a pretty crappy clutch. And I drive my car HARD.... Trust me, many track days on my belt with McLovin.

Any questions about the Balt, all answered here:

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy Cobalt SS Forum : Chevrolet Cobalt SS Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode