Cold Whether Killed my Balt - Chevy Cobalt SS Forum : Chevrolet Cobalt SS Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-15-2010, 02:41 PM Thread Starter
Contributing User

Cold Whether Killed my Balt

So, I'm trying to figure out what is wrong with my car. Any advice will help.

It has been really cold here lately and one night after work I go to start the car and the battery is dead. I tried jumpstarting it with the jump post with no luck. I figured we just couldn't ground it well enough cause the only thing we can use really is the little nuts and bolts above the shocks. So we try to push start it but again, no luck. It was -9 out so we left it for the next day.

Come back the next day and jump it, this time hooking it up directly to the battery. It worked right away but made the weirdest noise in doing it. Next problem: none of the gauges work and none of the accessories work but the security light is on in the warnings (the one with the lock and the car). Get home and shut it off and turn it back on to see if it'll work, it does but again no accessories. I let it run awhile then off. After that nothing.

So I got a new battery. Nothing. Accessories and all are just fine but not ignition. We tried jumping it (for like 30 mins) thinking it just was a little low but did not work.

Got a new set of cables thinking that might be it because it wasn't sparking when you'd touch the cables together. Nothing.

We called GM thinking it may have electronically locked us out and that's what that security light is on for. They said unlock and lock it with the FOB 6x in a row or put on ACC in the ignition for 7-10 minutes. Neither worked.

They are speculating it might be the started because you don't hear the traditional clicking you are used to hearing. But I doubt that is it because it started up both the times before.

What do you think?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-15-2010, 04:32 PM

Garage
That happened to me and they said that they had to reflash the ECU and program the remote FOB again. And they charged me. And the gauges not working could be a result of a fuse.... But then again, it was after I changed my clutch.

Hope you get taken care of. Its been a while slacker. Where you been??

Any questions about the Balt, all answered here:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-15-2010, 09:55 PM Thread Starter
Contributing User

Not good. I blew a clutch and the works in September. Replaced it with a stage 1 and lightweight flywheel from Turbo Tech. I had a buddy slid into me with his Jeep on the first snowfall. Now this. Its one headache after another.

Thanks for the advice. I was hoping I would hear something like that. Is that something I can get done at an Autozone or need to be done at the dealer?

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-16-2010, 10:06 AM

Garage
Autozone doesn't have the tool to reflash the key FOBs.

It is strictly dealer. Unless you take it to an alarm installer. MAYBE.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-16-2010, 10:32 AM Thread Starter
Contributing User

I called the dealer and they said they had the same problem the other day and that the starter could be frozen. They advised me to get heat up some charcoal and put it under the starter because I don't have a garage. But where is the starter located.
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-16-2010, 12:39 PM

Garage
That is a good question! I have no clue and the only way to tell is to put it up on a lift.

It more than likely will be on the right side of the motor (facing from driver seat towards front of car) where the belts are, but to actually be sure, a quick inspection on a lift is best.

post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-16-2010, 01:15 PM Thread Starter
Contributing User

Well, I gave in and got it towed. We'll see what it is shortly.
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-19-2011, 07:25 PM Thread Starter
Contributing User

Took me awhile to get back on this thread. My bad! RedSStreak was right! It was just a security code that needed to be reset. $200 later I can start my car again. Oh, and there is a $5 tool at Autozone that you can buy that is basically just a plug in for a 9v battery that will plug into a cigarette lighter and hold the computer's memory. This is "supposed" to help save you from needing to take your car in to start it after loss of power. It will only work if it is plugged in before and during the time when power will be lost. So won't probably work if the battery is totally dead but maybe if you switch batteries like I had.
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-21-2011, 02:32 PM

Garage
I had a feeling it was that. I had the same problem that is the only reason why I even knew.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy Cobalt SS Forum : Chevrolet Cobalt SS Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode