Possible Exhause leak, or something worse - Chevy Cobalt SS Forum : Chevrolet Cobalt SS Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 2 (permalink) Old 01-29-2011, 08:27 PM Thread Starter

Possible Exhause leak, or something worse

Hello everyone, I just picked up a 2006 Cobalt SS S/C. Obviously I did a poor job of listening to the vehicle before I bought it, I must have had the radio up too loud Whenever the vehicle is under load, there is a tick/rattle, that sounds very similar to an exhaust leak. I have been looking everywhere for a crack or loose area but I cannot find anything. As I have mentioned, this is only when the vehicle is under load, it will not do it when the clutch is pushed in, or when it is just sitting at idle. I even tried jacking up the front end, dropping it on jack stands, and putting it in gear to see if I could identify the problem. From inside the cabin it sounds like it is coming from directly below where the passengers feet would be, or the passenger side of the engine compartment. So, perhaps there is a small leak that is only audible when there is more back pressure (i.e. when the boost begins to build). If I keep the vehicle below 10Hg it wont do it. And as I have mentioned it wont do it if the engine is simply being revved. I can rev it up to 5k if I wanted to and it would not repeat the sound. I hope someone with more wisdom than me can answer this question. Are cobalts known for this type of a sound? Or do I have a problem here? I hope I havnt confused anyone, I am just trying to include as much info as possible.

I look forward to your responses!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 (permalink) Old 02-01-2011, 09:38 AM

Garage
Your catalytic converter is no good.

Any questions about the Balt, all answered here:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy Cobalt SS Forum : Chevrolet Cobalt SS Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode