Possible intercooler problem - Chevy Cobalt SS Forum : Chevrolet Cobalt SS Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-10-2011, 08:51 PM Thread Starter

Possible intercooler problem

I just recently purchased a 06 cobalt ss/sc, have had it for 24 hours now and I've noticed some white smoke coming out of the tail pipe. Being a cautious person I ran it constantly checking my coolant level, and it was not decreaseing but I realized the intercooler had no coolant visable. So I filled it up and drove it around the block and it the level slowly decreased drove it around for 30 mins and checked it. Again it had no coolant visible so refilled it turned it on gave it some gas and it dosent seem like the coolant is being pushed through the line at all but yet when I drive it, it slowly losses it. I've exhausted my options checked the houses and no leaks so my question is, could it be the intercooler pump gone bad or possibly something else. Any help would be appreciated.
Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-11-2011, 09:25 AM
Super Moderator

Garage
where you at Red, this is all you...

I was beat by RKRamos.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-11-2011, 08:00 PM

Garage
So it sounds like the coolant level decreases.... You may need to investigate your head gasket. If it is gone, then you would be burning an excessive amount of coolant. Check the thermostat not just the hoses. Also does the car overheat, bog or anything of that sort?? Please more info!

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-11-2011, 11:44 PM
Contributing User

Send a message via AIM to kromko52
this might be a dumb question but i thought the SC cobalts didnt come with intercoolers?

435whp 402tq with the HAHN RACECRAFT SUPER 20G TURBO KIT
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-12-2011, 09:23 AM Thread Starter

As far as I know they come with Intercoolers, on the manual it has a arrow pointing down to the cap and spout that says "HOT FILL" and labels it as a "Intercooler System Pressure Cap"

The car dosen't Overheat, the hottest its gotten since I've had it is 189 degrees and that was on a 2 hour drive. No it dosen't bog down, it seems pretty smooth. I never thought that there would be a thermostat in the intercooler cooling system. Figured it just flowed the entire time the car was on using the intercooler pump. I'll have to inspect it once i find it. The more i drive it the more it seemed like it would only loose coolant if the SC was producing boost but that could just be a correlation my mind is making just from what I'm noticing. Another thing that came to mind is maybe the dealership that had it, filled the cooling system up but not all the way. I know some cars cooling systems after purging you have to run the car for a sec to let the coolant flow then add more. I haven't noticed a purge valve for the Intercooler cooling system though. (all though i have been assuming it is its own independent cooling system that's what I've been reading on *************) I'm not sure if any of this matters but it's better to ramble about possibly useful information than to not say it at all. I could check out the Head Gasket but the only way i know how to check it besides coolant loss and White exhaust is to actually get down to it and see it, is their possibly any other way to diagnose it besides getting down to the gasket?
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-12-2011, 01:31 PM
Super Moderator

Garage
I think thats called a heat excherger, or air to water intercooler.

I was beat by RKRamos.
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-12-2011, 01:35 PM
Super Moderator

Garage
And you say that its white smoke, so it could be your head gasket. Check your oil, if it looks kinda like grayish- cream or pretty much any color then burn oil your headgasket could be leaking, and check your spark plays same thing if there white-ish

I guess next time i will read your whole post.

I was beat by RKRamos.

Last edited by skoal*boy; 12-12-2011 at 01:37 PM.
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-12-2011, 02:54 PM

Garage
It is called a heat exchanger but if the book says intercooler???? All the symptoms point to head gasket. But the thermostat is recommended to be changed with any head gasket labor.
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-13-2011, 06:54 PM
Contributing User

Send a message via AIM to kromko52
Quote:
Originally Posted by skoal*boy View Post
I think thats called a heat excherger, or air to water intercooler.
thats what i thought i knew they didnt come with intercoolers thats only turbos but they do have heat exchangers

435whp 402tq with the HAHN RACECRAFT SUPER 20G TURBO KIT
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy Cobalt SS Forum : Chevrolet Cobalt SS Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode