First gear... - Chevy Cobalt SS Forum : Chevrolet Cobalt SS Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-31-2005, 01:56 PM Thread Starter

First gear...

I'm really enjoying my Cobalt SS but first gear is really annoying.

I try to shift it smoothly but the car always seems to have the front end bow down then back up in the middle of the shift. Anyone else experiencing this?

It doesnt matter whether the a/c is on or off.

I'm not a pro at driving stick but I cant believe this is how its meant to be. For example the car idles at 1000, I rev it to 2000 as I let the clutch out and that 'bow' dips the rpm to 1500.

The only cure is to let the clutch out really slow while keeping the revs high, sometimes its not as noticeable others its almost gone. Only bad thing about this is with the higher revs i'm out accelerating vehicles infront of me in traffic like when the light turns green.

It almost screwed me up in traffic as I had to get out into the lane quickly and it did it. Its like theres a chain to the front bumper and someone behind you gives it a tug then lets go.

Its like this car hates to be given just a bit more rev over idle to go into gear.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-31-2005, 02:09 PM

Not to be a jerk, and I only can say what I experience in my RL, but I don't even have to rev to get into gear. If I feather it, idle gets the car moving and I can actually let off the clutch (NOT good for any part of the clutch/tranny). But yes, it is a difficult car to start moving in (my cavy was at least 3 times easier and smoother), but over time it should just start coming to you on how to do it better. I can't say for sure as I don't own a SS, but in my RL to get moving, I just lightly hit the throttle and release the clutch, there is some bucking, but I can get rid of this by giving more gas and feathering the clutch more.
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-31-2005, 03:11 PM

^^What he said. Just work with it.

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-31-2005, 03:33 PM
Contributing User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iroc
I'm really enjoying my Cobalt SS but first gear is really annoying.

I try to shift it smoothly but the car always seems to have the front end bow down then back up in the middle of the shift. Anyone else experiencing this?

It doesnt matter whether the a/c is on or off.

I'm not a pro at driving stick but I cant believe this is how its meant to be. For example the car idles at 1000, I rev it to 2000 as I let the clutch out and that 'bow' dips the rpm to 1500.

The only cure is to let the clutch out really slow while keeping the revs high, sometimes its not as noticeable others its almost gone. Only bad thing about this is with the higher revs i'm out accelerating vehicles infront of me in traffic like when the light turns green.

It almost screwed me up in traffic as I had to get out into the lane quickly and it did it. Its like theres a chain to the front bumper and someone behind you gives it a tug then lets go.

Its like this car hates to be given just a bit more rev over idle to go into gear.
Just follow what Xero said, first gear always requires more precision and patience than the others and the shift to second from first can be argumenative if you pull your foot off the gas just before hitting the clutch, it feels like you're going to bury your front end into the road.

Just keep at it, you'll get the feel for the car .

Permafried-
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-06-2005, 05:14 PM

Sounds to me as if you might just need some practice with the new car. I had a little trouble going from a N/A car to a SC also. If it dosent seem to get any better with some practice or you are sure it is not your driving you might want to have your bypass valve on your blower looked at. If it was stuck shut it would make low speed driving alot harder.
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-06-2005, 05:21 PM

Same thing here I had a 1996 Z24 all the way up to 2005 and that thing was really easy to drive.. This SS took a little time to drive.. Just give it a little time...
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-06-2005, 08:26 PM

Hahaha, yea, people agreed with me! I feel so welcomed! Hahaha. Yea, I still have troubles every now and then launching nicely. Just hang in there, it'll come. I had to change the way I launched, coming from a N/A 2.2 cavy (that was WELL worn in...lol) to a boosted "tuner" car.
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-07-2005, 11:18 AM Thread Starter

Update

Well seems I stumbled upon they way to do it. I revved the engine and as the rpms are coming back down I let out the clutch to start rolling from a stop. Its much smoother. Still practicing though as this car sure loves to live at 3k+ rpm

Thanks for the replies guys..
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-07-2005, 03:26 PM

3k+, thats where the fun is. But you gotta hand it to gm, they made a car that can roast the front tires (with some help of a brace) with almost an idle launch.
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-07-2005, 05:50 PM

Quote:
3k+, thats where the fun is. But you gotta hand it to gm, they made a car that can roast the front tires (with some help of a brace) with almost an idle launch.
This is VERY true. Not that i'd know, of course.....he he he
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy Cobalt SS Forum : Chevrolet Cobalt SS Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode