3rd gear blown already!? - Chevy Cobalt SS Forum : Chevrolet Cobalt SS Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 25 (permalink) Old 09-02-2005, 06:26 PM Thread Starter

3rd gear blown already!?

Yup 725miles on the car and today went to pass someone and when I shifted at 5300rpms it would not go into gear! So I tried it a few more times during the day and it would happen almost every time if I was shifting at 5K. It fells like shifting into a wall. It eventally gose in, but I have play with it for a few seconds. Has anyone else come across this?? Feels like a bad syncro??
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 25 (permalink) Old 09-03-2005, 12:26 AM

i havent had problems like that, but my 3rd gear grinds periodically and pops out under hard acceleration. you have to hold it in there TIGHT if you dont want it to pop out. It makes a loud BAM when it comes out and the rpm's go sky high <------good thing i dont have nitrous or i would be slinging rods thru my hood!!!!!!!!!
post #3 of 25 (permalink) Old 09-26-2005, 04:59 PM

Warranty!!

post #4 of 25 (permalink) Old 09-26-2005, 05:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EastCoastZ
Yup 725miles on the car and today went to pass someone and when I shifted at 5300rpms it would not go into gear! So I tried it a few more times during the day and it would happen almost every time if I was shifting at 5K. It fells like shifting into a wall. It eventally gose in, but I have play with it for a few seconds. Has anyone else come across this?? Feels like a bad syncro??

Did you break the car in correctly? Should you be shifting into gear at 5300rpms with only 725 miles on the car?

I bet if you didn't shift above 4000rpms before 1000 miles this wouldn't have happened
post #5 of 25 (permalink) Old 09-26-2005, 05:48 PM

All signs point to the driver!! Sounds like some high rev shifting for a car that has 750 miles. 5400 miles on my SS and it shifts smoothly in all gears.
post #6 of 25 (permalink) Old 09-26-2005, 06:23 PM

Psht, I redlined mine the first day I got it, with 8 miles on it, haven't had a problem since, have 1100 on it now.
post #7 of 25 (permalink) Old 09-26-2005, 06:25 PM

i dont buy the whole breaking in thing. at least not how some people get all into it. im sure his problem is not that he shifted at 5300 in 3rd at 750 miles. 250 miles later if it would have been fine? dont think so. i got my car with 12 miles on it and had it up to 125 on the way home redlining 1st 2nd and 3rd and i have driven it pretty hard for these 4400 miles and no problems.
post #8 of 25 (permalink) Old 09-26-2005, 06:26 PM
Contributing User

Quote:
Originally Posted by tube
Psht, I redlined mine the first day I got it, with 8 miles on it, haven't had a problem since, have 1100 on it now.
So have a lot of other people, so its not the driver. Brand new cars to a lot of people should be broken in how they are driven. Not like a grandma.

THE LIST too hot to handle on Cobaltss.com
post #9 of 25 (permalink) Old 09-27-2005, 02:55 PM

You idiots that floor your car from the beginning will not have a car that peforms well in the long run. Also my father is a 35 year GM guy, it's standard practice on all GM performance vehicles. I hope you blow your f*ckin engine. ALSO FYI. It is a fact that an internal seal exsists for Goodwrench employees to check for pulley mod's. Since it is the number one cause to blow your ecotec. Just saying for FYI. I have aLOT of connections here in Detroit. Right now I am having a custom flywheel created that weighs like 7 pounds(stocks like 20 somthing), this is going to be sick. I will follow up...
post #10 of 25 (permalink) Old 09-27-2005, 03:38 PM

My buddy beat the shit out of his brand new STi with only 17 miles on it when he picked it up from the dealer. Ran fine for the next10k or whatever he had until he sold it. But then again, thats Subaru build quality. I wouldnt expect any less from GM than what has happened EastCoastZ and Ronnie. Theres no reason that a gearbox should need to be broken in. A clutch, yes. Gearbox made to last 100k+, NO. And needing to hold a gear in place tight by hand like Ronnie mentioned? HAHA. I would return the POS the first time I needed to do that and get a car with a T56
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy Cobalt SS Forum : Chevrolet Cobalt SS Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode