Top of Shift Knob Snapped on 2.2L - Chevy Cobalt SS Forum : Chevrolet Cobalt SS Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-16-2005, 01:52 PM Thread Starter
Contributing User

Top of Shift Knob Snapped Off (2.2L 5spd)

Yep that's right...the top of the shift knob blew clean off. While making a hard shift into 3rd the whole top of my shift knob snapped off so now it's basically on there on a 30 degree angle just so the thing holds until I can get to my dealership to order the part.

It turns out there are only three ridiculously tiny plastic clips holding the top of it on so just a heads up to everyone with a manual 2.2L. Be careful when shifting the car hard...one slip of the hand or the wrong angle and the whole thing comes flying clean off with no way to re-attach it.

I'm considering asking my dealership to order in the short-shifter from the SC if it will actually fit mine and I'll pay the difference...I'm afraid the same thing will happen with a replacement part later on down the road. I like the look of the shift knob but not real wild about the possibility of it snapping off if I make a hard downshift on the highway or just happen to slip during normal every day driving.

Permafried-

08 Cobalt SS/TC
Black w/ 20% Tint

Last edited by Permafried-; 10-16-2005 at 06:32 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-17-2005, 12:20 AM
Contributing User

Wow I would think more than 3pins would hold it on, I guess I better watch out when shifting hard. Good luck getting that fixed, let us know what you replace it with.
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-17-2005, 12:38 AM

it will do no good to order the short shifter, they are not compatible. also, i have a ss/sc, and mine did the same thing. dont waste your time with the dealer, just use super glue. a new one will still do the same thing.

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-17-2005, 11:23 AM Thread Starter
Contributing User

Well for now I'm taking the car into the service department tonight to get them to order me a new one...maybe if enough people have to GM will start to recognize that there is a problem with them that needs to be addressed. I was informed by a dealer in my area last week that the B&M is planned for the 2.2/2.4 models in early to late January '06 so maybe I'll look into that when it's released. For now I'll just keep my fingers crossed the new one holds .

Permafried-

08 Cobalt SS/TC
Black w/ 20% Tint
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-22-2005, 03:51 PM

January or so until a B&M for the Cobalt? Sounds good. The only thing I dont like about the car is the shifter is so tall and shifts arent very crisp. I love my B&M ripper in my Camaro and it would be cool to have something in the Cobalt since I have to live with it until fall 08
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-22-2005, 06:14 PM
Contributing User

Do most new cars have clips holding the knobs on? Or is it just cars with the reverse lock-out thing? Why don't they put threads on them and screw them on like MOST cars???

THE LIST too hot to handle on Cobaltss.com
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-26-2005, 12:03 PM Thread Starter
Contributing User

Quote:
Originally Posted by wasey13
Do most new cars have clips holding the knobs on? Or is it just cars with the reverse lock-out thing? Why don't they put threads on them and screw them on like MOST cars???
As far as I know the majority of vehicles are still threaded and twist on and off...I know every car that my friends have are that way. As for the reverse lockout the 2.2L (and I believe the 2.4L as well) don't even have reverse lockout...not real sure why GM took this route.

I'm going to pick-up my car in 30 minutes with the new shift knob so I'll check if this one is more solid than the old one was on the way back to work . It always had quite a bit of play (I could twist the top half of the knob almost 1/2 a cm before it would stop) which I never thought was right but I'm considering trying to get some epoxy in under the edge of the knob this time so it's really stuck on there...here's hoping I don't have to though .

Permafried-

08 Cobalt SS/TC
Black w/ 20% Tint
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-26-2005, 01:43 PM Thread Starter
Contributing User

Well the new shift-knob is on and the top no longer has any play to it...it's solid as a rock! Also, the wrapping on it feels different than my old one did. It actually feels like leather this time and matches the colour and feel of the steering wheel exactly. I always thought the original one that was on there didn't have the correct feel to it to be leather (not to mention why it didn't match my steering wheel leather wrapping) but now that the new one is on there I'm almost positive this was the case. I guess this would indicated it had been replaced once by someone down the line with the wrong part but I guess I can't really worry about it. This new knob feels like it should hold up much better than the other one did...here's hoping !

Permafried-

08 Cobalt SS/TC
Black w/ 20% Tint
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-26-2005, 02:49 PM

I have tried for a while to get the DAMN THING OFF but to no avail. Does anyone know a "proper" method of removing it?
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-26-2005, 04:33 PM Thread Starter
Contributing User

Quote:
Originally Posted by canada6901
I have tried for a while to get the DAMN THING OFF but to no avail. Does anyone know a "proper" method of removing it?
If you mean removing the entire shift knob assmbly including the neck here's what you do:

1) Twist your shift boot and gently try to continually pull it down. After a certain degree of turn it will slide down since there's teeth that line up to hold it in place and you need to line these up with the notches.

2) Gently pry back the four tabs holding the entire assembly in place and slide it off the stick itself. Make sure not to bend the tabs too far or you're basically SOL for putting it back on .

In my case it was actually the top half of the ball that snapped right off...I don't think there's any way to just take that off but I don't imagine anyone would ever need to do that anyways.

Good luck,

Permafried-

08 Cobalt SS/TC
Black w/ 20% Tint
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy Cobalt SS Forum : Chevrolet Cobalt SS Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode