Missfiring - Chevy Cobalt SS Forum : Chevrolet Cobalt SS Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-20-2005, 03:01 PM Thread Starter
iso
Contributing User

Unhappy Missfiring

well i'm shit out of luck for a couple days. i dropped my ss off at a local dealership yesterday because my car would stutter and the CEL would blink at higher rpms. i took it in, and sat in the waiting room for a while, then the service guy comes and and tells me that he just took my car out and "tached it out" until he could get the same results. i surpressed my anger that some asshole had just gone for a joyride in my car and asked him what the problem was. number 4 cylinder is misfiring, and my black box has me clocked doing 99 mph when it happened. then he gives me shit cuz i have a small k&n sticker on my side window. he asks me if the filter is a "direct replacement" and i kindly inform him that it is (even tho it really isn't, but who cares, it's a filter). he asks me what else i have done to the car, obviously trying his best to void my warranty on the subject, and once again i kindly tell him nothing. so after 4 hours sitting at the dealer, he comes out and tells me that they know what the problem is but have no idea what is causing it. they offer me a rental car (a 95 malibu with about a million miles on it that shakes when i do 65) and i'm off on my way to work in my shitty white malibu. i called them back today and the service manager tells me that they have found the problem to be that one of my rocker control arms came apart. they're not sure if it caused any damage, but he's trying to get a parts list together. they have no idea how long it will take to fix, since they don't know the status on getting parts from gm for this car. so i'm stuck with a malibu that i now have to drive the 60 mile trip back home this weekend and then back to school. i feel so helpless without my car, and i'm afraid that they're not being nice to her. i'm gonna check back everyday for status updates, but i don't know how long it's going to take. this sucks.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

custom valve tap
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-20-2005, 05:19 PM
Contributing User

Man that sucks...but I'm not real sure how they can say you were clocked at 99mph when it happened. Is there something on the chip that says "Car was running 99mph and began misfiring" that sounds like a pretty good story to me but I could be wrong . It seems some dealerships are determined to prove that all problems with the car are due to abuse.

Hopefully there's no major damage outside of what they've found and everything gets fixed up for you without any major problems.

Permafried-

08 Cobalt SS/TC
Black w/ 20% Tint
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-20-2005, 06:18 PM Thread Starter
iso
Contributing User

i wouldn't be surprised if i was doing 99 when it first happened. i was angry cuz someone was doing 60 in the left lane so i dumped the clutch and floored it (extremely angrily) past them, and i didn't stop until it started to stutter. i actually thought i was doing more lik 110 ish, but there's really no way they can deny my warranty just cuz i was going over the speed limit. i could have told him that it was wet out and my tires were spinning when it first happened, so the tires were going 99 but i wasn't . i just hope they fix it soon cuz i hate driving auto's, especially in a 95 malibu. let's be honest tho... how many people on here don't at least occasionally beat on this car? it's supposed to be driven hard... hence the "Performance" in GM Performance Parts.

thanks for your concern though, i'll post up the parts list when the service manager calls me with it.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

custom valve tap

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-20-2005, 06:36 PM
Contributing User

Send a message via AIM to Butch Sosa
Yeah i know what you mean about taking it in. When I had to take mine in to fix a leak in my sunroof they took for ever and they wouldnt give me a loaner car. My stepdad took his Z06 in and it took them literally a 3 month period of in and out of the shop to find what was causing the miss fire. They finally decided it was the wirering harnes which my stepdad had told them from the begining. But they cant void your warrenty for racing because thats what we do with the Z06. Just as long as you dont purposefully do something really bad to it.

All I can say is at least they gave you a loaner car.
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-20-2005, 07:06 PM Thread Starter
iso
Contributing User

yea, i'm only 18 too, so they're not supposed to give me a car to begin with but they made an exception for me since i'm a college student and i have a job. but i really think they gave me the shittiest car they had. at least i have something to drive for now. i just hope i don't get a parking ticket at my school since i don't have a parking sticker on the loaner.

custom valve tap
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-20-2005, 07:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Permafried-
Man that sucks...but I'm not real sure how they can say you were clocked at 99mph when it happened. Is there something on the chip that says "Car was running 99mph and began misfiring" that sounds like a pretty good story to me but I could be wrong . It seems some dealerships are determined to prove that all problems with the car are due to abuse.

Hopefully there's no major damage outside of what they've found and everything gets fixed up for you without any major problems.

Permafried-
its called freeze frame data. when a fault occurs it stores all the engine data at the time it happened. on the mercedes most the time it takes 2 times for a fault to throw a code and it will store them both.
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-20-2005, 10:26 PM

Yea My brother a misfire when he had his 98 camaro 3800, they can tell how fast the car was going and the rpms and all that i think he was doing like 97 or something, but what does it really matter if it broke it was a weak component. U could have been going alot slower tached out in first and it would have broke too, the speed the car was going has nothing to do with the internal working of the engine. what are car tach at at 80 in fifth.....like 3grand or something like that?
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-21-2005, 12:07 AM

you see when the CEL started flashing it was telling you it was seeing a catylist damaging missfire. when it sets a DTC it stores a freeze frame that tells the tech various sesor readings at that time. its really nice for when you need to get a intermittent problem to act up. and it makes it nice for diagnosis. we had a car come in and the guy said he was idling down the street and his engine went. it dropped three valves. when the valves dropped it set miss fire code and we reviewed the data and it said he was stopped and rpms were at 6500. so we voided his waranty and refuse to fix his car under waranty. it is a nice little feature
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-21-2005, 01:43 AM

I happen to work at a VW dealer.. go ahead get the laughs out.

Anyway, since when does reving your motor void your warranty? And on VW's it throws a fault code but it doesnt tell you WHY that fault occured, it just tells you what the problem is. And pretty much every OBD2 computer will tell you the same thing, doesnt tell you why it happened.

And about the freeze frame data..... it refreshes itself about once every milli second so in the event it does capture your speed or whatever its very unlikely your "actual speed the problem occured at" will be stored.

Thats just my .02 cents
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy Cobalt SS Forum : Chevrolet Cobalt SS Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode