Warning!!!! - Chevy Cobalt SS Forum : Chevrolet Cobalt SS Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 43 (permalink) Old 12-09-2005, 06:52 PM Thread Starter

Transmission Warning!!!!

I just found out the hard way that the third gear problem is potentially fatal to our transmission. True, I am a spirited driver, but I have never had anything like this happen to any of my other cars, and I have been driving stick for 11 years.

Some of you may have read about my tranny problems over on .net, but for those that have not, here's the cliff's notes:

pulling onto the interstate, -BANG!- third gear wall, no biggy- back out of the gate, go for it a little easier- NO THIRD GEAR. I limp home doing the 2-4 thing with 2 and 4 getting progressively harder to engage. pull onto my street- lose 2. pull into my driveway- lose 1. quick run 1-2-3-4-5, nothing in any of them.

Dealership says the roll pin broke. As a result of the shifter breaking. Which then destroyed the synchros on the drive home. Total tranny obliteration.

So if you aren't already taking that 2-3 REAL easy, learn from me. The shifter/tranny is NOT strong enough to handle spirited driving! So the Hurst is on somebody's list to Santa Also, and I've already advised my friends of this- GO GET THAT THIRD GEAR SYNCHRO CHECKED BY THE SHOP if you are having the brick wall thing. tell them to look for fatigue on the roll pin. My dealership is covering this under warranty, but the next guy might not be so lucky- so get it seen now.

<END WARNING>

Last edited by J.D.; 12-09-2005 at 11:01 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 43 (permalink) Old 12-09-2005, 06:56 PM

WOW that really sucks.

post #3 of 43 (permalink) Old 12-09-2005, 07:01 PM

I sometimes feel like theres a wall in first. But its when im giong like 20, so there probably is a wall considering I think 1st gear only goes to high 20s. Anyone else have that????

post #4 of 43 (permalink) Old 12-09-2005, 07:05 PM

So were is the roll pin located is it in the shifter ? or is it in the transmission ? if it's in the transmission what will replacing the stock shifter solve .
post #5 of 43 (permalink) Old 12-09-2005, 07:18 PM Thread Starter

(to the best of my understanding- the part they showed me was already removed) the roll pin is a piece of the shifter that essentially connects it to the shift cable- I'm hoping the Hurst will replace that part- I'll be buying the Hurst shortly after Christmas, so if no one else gets one before me I will give y'all an update and let you know if it replaces that part as well.
post #6 of 43 (permalink) Old 12-09-2005, 07:41 PM

I get that wall going into second gear. I got it today as a matter of fact, pulled out of work and started to go and smack it finally got it into gear then damn near redlined, went to go to third and smack wall again.
post #7 of 43 (permalink) Old 12-09-2005, 07:49 PM Thread Starter

^^^^^^get it checked, bro. It only happened to me about 4 times total, but that fourth time was a looloo.
post #8 of 43 (permalink) Old 12-09-2005, 08:55 PM Thread Starter

Would you guys consider sticky-ing this for a little while just so people are aware of it? It seems to be a nearly across the board issue, and I would hate for other people to not realize the potential extent of the problem, and find themselves in my situation.
post #9 of 43 (permalink) Old 12-09-2005, 10:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by J.D.
Would you guys consider sticky-ing this for a little while just so people are aware of it? It seems to be a nearly across the board issue, and I would hate for other people to not realize the potential extent of the problem, and find themselves in my situation.
Ok will do.

post #10 of 43 (permalink) Old 12-09-2005, 10:16 PM Thread Starter

Awesome. Hope it helps.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy Cobalt SS Forum : Chevrolet Cobalt SS Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in