brakes - Chevy Cobalt SS Forum : Chevrolet Cobalt SS Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-05-2005, 11:54 AM Thread Starter

brakes

My 05 (sedan) just had new wheels and tires, 17 inch, put on. When braking I now feel a slight pulse in the brake pedal at 45MPH and over and then it fades away. No vibrations at highway speeds when not on the brake.Feels like a warped rotor but I never felt it with the 15 inch stock tires. Car has 400 miles on it. Anyone know if they have come through with bad rotors. Thanks for your thoughts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-05-2005, 03:38 PM

Send a message via AIM to CoBIZZLE
Well I would say one of the wheels could be off weighted but I would think that that would make it vibrate at higher speeds and u said its not so...

Just puttin new rims on shouldnt mess with the brakes, unless the brakes aren't powerful enough for the bigger wheel maybe.
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-05-2005, 11:36 PM

The tire size incresse may be causeing the brakes to not work properly and you sould get bigger and better brakes to make up the difference of the extra weight because of the rims. That should take care of the problem MAYBE i am not 100% sure but i think the added weght might be it.

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-07-2005, 08:40 PM

yea u might need different and better brakes
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-08-2005, 11:42 AM

Yeah run Bremebos at all four corners. They work AWESOME!!
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-08-2005, 11:49 AM

Plus they look sweet as hell too!!!
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-08-2005, 01:28 PM Thread Starter

OK, here s the update. Put original wheels back on and car is fine. So, something the idoits at the wheel place can t find. Returned wheels for full refund and went to another wheel place. Got new rims and Toyo Proxis and have no problems.
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-08-2005, 02:12 PM

Awesome!!! I told you one of the wheels was misweighted!! That can screw up the smoothness of a ride! Glad ya got taken care of.
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-08-2005, 11:09 PM

It doesn't sound like this was your problem, but here's some useful info....

Whenever you install wheels, always ALWAYS torque the wheel nuts to the PROPER torque and in the correct sequence.

Most tire places don't do this. They have a guy that stands there with an impact gun, and blasts the nuts on there at 100lbft without paying any attention to the manufacturer's recommended setting.

That can warp your brake rotors (warped rotors manifest themselves as a pulsating feeling in the pedal whenever the brakes are applied). Too much torque on the wheel nuts, and especially uneven torque (ie, one at 100lbft, one at 80, onr at 90, etc.) will create uneven pressure on different parts of the rotor and can cause them to warp. Especially if the rotors aren't top-quality to begin with. (we all know how fantastic GM's brakes are....)

Invest in a good torque wrench and always torque the bolts in the correct sequence (zig-zag for 4-bolt wheels, star-pattern for 5-bolts) and to the correct torque, and your brakes will thank you...
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-09-2005, 11:07 AM Thread Starter

Dan is 100% on the money. I think also that the retaining clips for the rotors sit where the hub meets the rim and on the aftermarket wheel those clips came in contact with the rim making an uneven fit. The factory steel rim had spacing where they meet because it did not sit flat against the rotor like the aftermarket wheel. Clips had to be removed. The first guy didn t do that.Alot to consider when changing wheels.A little confusing but you get the idea.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy Cobalt SS Forum : Chevrolet Cobalt SS Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode