CEL light problems - Chevy Cobalt SS Forum : Chevrolet Cobalt SS Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 28 (permalink) Old 02-20-2006, 04:17 PM Thread Starter

CEL light problems

Hello i have done some searching and still have come up blank. i installed the CAI from AEM on a 06 2.2 cobalt. i have reset the computer twice now and after about 20 miles it still keeps comming on. please help. the wife is going to make me take it off till i can figure it out? can anyone help? heres what i have done.... unplugged neg battery cable installed CAI and drove nicely for 5 miles then got on it no light. next day drove to 7-11 and CEL came on... went home neg battery cable off turned start key waited 22 min reconnected battery started car let it run on it's own for 6 min then drove it 15 miles then CEl again... in walmart parking lot un plugged battery turned key waited 45 min shopping then reconnected battery then started it for 6 min again on way home about 15 miles still light came on what gives??
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 28 (permalink) Old 12-03-2006, 09:43 AM
Contributing User

Cel

Ya, I've done a custom intake a while ago and my CEL came on so i disconected the battery and after a while it came on again. Oddly after the 3rd time I did it it never came back on for months until just recently when it got cold out. I did the battery trick again and it didn't work to i took it to autozone and the scanner said my engine was running to lean... I had them erase the code and it came back on after about 150 miles. Then i checked for leaks, cleaned my MAS unpluged the battery and it was off for a while then came back on for about 7 miles and now its off..... i dunno what, those are all my tricks..
post #3 of 28 (permalink) Old 12-03-2006, 05:10 PM

does the cai come with a new maf sensor, if it does that may be a problem

and about how many miles do you have on your car,

btw who said to take off the negative cable to reset the cel, that ould cause a code on its own

i had a problem with that same code and it was the fuel filter as the problem

post #4 of 28 (permalink) Old 12-03-2006, 07:12 PM

AEM is known for producing CEL's... it's not really a big deal, it's just that more air is coming in that it's used to...
post #5 of 28 (permalink) Old 12-03-2006, 07:53 PM
Contributing User

Cel

Yea im using my stock MAS... Its just not use to all the extra air
post #6 of 28 (permalink) Old 12-03-2006, 11:25 PM

you need to have the pcm reflashed for this,
after you drive your car for a while the pcm picks up the driving habits
and it learnes where the sensors are normally when you drive
if you reflash the pcm it will go back into the state it was coming off the production line and when it reads all the flow it should not set a cel anymore
post #7 of 28 (permalink) Old 12-03-2006, 11:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SportLS View Post
Yea im using my stock MAS... Its just not use to all the extra air
Quote:
Originally Posted by jonsstockrocket View Post
if you reflash the pcm it will go back into the state it was coming off the production line and when it reads all the flow it should not set a cel anymore
first off its a MAF sensor...Mass Air Flow....all aftermarket CAI's use your stock unit...to this date no high flow, corrected, or any other type of aftermarket unit is out...a bigger maf with a better correction rate at higer Freq would be nice tho...big intakes, more over all flow but then the TB become a bottle neck and restriction...but thats a whole other post...

jon..i wish to know what the hizzle your talkin about?...a reflash aint gonna do DICK....the most you can do with a simple reflash is changer your MAF fail Freq...not gonna solve this problum tho..

you could fix it with useing a Wideband and re-doing your entire VE/timeing maps with your MAF sensor correction rates...but that takes time, wideband and some know how...

what i would sugjest(sp?) is scaning the car with a simple code reader...then post the code so myself and others can know what the car is "thinking" and then problum solve from there.

off the batt tho...dissconnect the battery to clear the ECU then drive the car for a SOLID 20-30 min...very easy for the first 15-20 min

BUT you must take the rpms ALL the way up..so lock it in a gear and drive it to redline a few times...

then for the last few min drive it kinda hard this way the car will re-scan and learn its ST/LT fuel trims, VE maps, air flow and cylinder air mass maps...and it will do its best to take thouse maps and corralte them with you MAF's readings...that'll hopefully make the car happy and thus NO CODE
post #8 of 28 (permalink) Old 12-04-2006, 01:14 AM
Contributing User

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonsstockrocket View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by 06Black View Post
first off its a MAF sensor...Mass Air Flow....all aftermarket CAI's use your stock unit...to this date no high flow, corrected, or any other type of aftermarket unit is out...a bigger maf with a better correction rate at higer Freq would be nice tho...big intakes, more over all flow but then the TB become a bottle neck and restriction...but thats a whole other post...

jon..i wish to know what the hizzle your talkin about?...a reflash aint gonna do DICK....the most you can do with a simple reflash is changer your MAF fail Freq...not gonna solve this problum tho..

you could fix it with useing a Wideband and re-doing your entire VE/timeing maps with your MAF sensor correction rates...but that takes time, wideband and some know how...

what i would sugjest(sp?) is scaning the car with a simple code reader...then post the code so myself and others can know what the car is "thinking" and then problum solve from there.

off the batt tho...dissconnect the battery to clear the ECU then drive the car for a SOLID 20-30 min...very easy for the first 15-20 min

BUT you must take the rpms ALL the way up..so lock it in a gear and drive it to redline a few times...

then for the last few min drive it kinda hard this way the car will re-scan and learn its ST/LT fuel trims, VE maps, air flow and cylinder air mass maps...and it will do its best to take thouse maps and corralte them with you MAF's readings...that'll hopefully make the car happy and thus NO CODE
Here's the deal. I read on .net that there's a GM update concerning the DTC code associated with adding in a CAI. Go to your dealer with the PCM code/CEL and they will update the PCM under warranty in most cases. Now keep in mind you may have something else going on with the vehicle. My car is going in for issues with my rotors *Yes my car IS having that issue even though I though everything was fine* and while it's in there they will be updating the PCM. I will then install a CAI and go from there.

I hope this helps.

2006 Cobalt SS/SC Silver,G85, all factory options
GM Sport Pedals,GM Arm Rest, GMPP Stage 2 w/2.9 Pulley. DC Front Strut Tower Bar, Bwoody Rear Bar, Corsa Touring Exhaust, Ingalls TQ Dampner, TTR rear sway bar, AEM Dryflow CAI, 1 range colder NGK BKR7EIX Iridiums, ZZP dual pass intercooler, Lingenfelter thermastat, Vibrant Header/Downpipe.
post #9 of 28 (permalink) Old 12-04-2006, 01:45 AM

Im having the same issue here, i gota viper scanner. The code i pulled was P0171 "System too Lean"

Dealer keeps resetting which i can do with the scanner. 4th time its came on after my CAI install (been on for a month).
post #10 of 28 (permalink) Old 12-04-2006, 04:44 AM
Contributing User

Quote:
Originally Posted by deuses300c View Post
Im having the same issue here, i gota viper scanner. The code i pulled was P0171 "System too Lean"

Dealer keeps resetting which i can do with the scanner. 4th time its came on after my CAI install (been on for a month).
There's a GM PCM update for that code. Ask their driveability tech to check it out.

2006 Cobalt SS/SC Silver,G85, all factory options
GM Sport Pedals,GM Arm Rest, GMPP Stage 2 w/2.9 Pulley. DC Front Strut Tower Bar, Bwoody Rear Bar, Corsa Touring Exhaust, Ingalls TQ Dampner, TTR rear sway bar, AEM Dryflow CAI, 1 range colder NGK BKR7EIX Iridiums, ZZP dual pass intercooler, Lingenfelter thermastat, Vibrant Header/Downpipe.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy Cobalt SS Forum : Chevrolet Cobalt SS Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode