coolant temp - Chevy Cobalt SS Forum : Chevrolet Cobalt SS Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-24-2006, 07:51 AM Thread Starter

Cool coolant temp

I just got my ss/sc last friday and I was wondering what the coolant temp should be. When I drive it's about 180 degrees, but I've noticed that when I'm just sitting idlng it gets to about 210-215... Is this normal, hopefully I'm just being super paranoid. Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-24-2006, 08:05 AM

Mine runs right at 180 degrees too. You don't have the cooling airflow when you're just sitting still so the temperature does go up when you are just sitting there. I watched mine once, but it was a long time ago and I don't remember what it got up to.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-24-2006, 08:50 AM
Contributing User

If I recall correctly, when I autocrossed my car (definately paid attention to temp) when I got done and pulled around to park and let her idle for a bit with the hood still closed I was reading temps at least that high. Once I popped the hood and let her idle some more it would drop down to 190 or so before I would drive my next run.

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-24-2006, 02:29 PM
Site Moderator

Send a message via AIM to joedashow Send a message via Yahoo to joedashow
180 is normal. Mine usually gets to about 182 when I drive mine.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

CHICAGO CUBS - NINETY-NINE YEARS OF TRADITION

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-24-2006, 04:02 PM

well, i like to romp mine around town, n when i make it across town in like 5 mins n check the temp, its runnin bout 223 224, but shes still doin fine, so i guess its still good, just as long as its not alwayz happenin or you dont do it for a long period of time.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-24-2006, 10:35 PM

180F is ideal for most engines. 215 F is the upper range.

Sharkboy see if your electric fan is coming on. 223 to 224 is like so close to severe engine damage. makes me wonder if something is wrong. definitely not normal. see your dealer to verify.
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-25-2006, 08:28 AM

i would say it's ok. most engine dammage occurs when you get around 240-260 ish and that was just becouse of oil thinning and flying off the engine parts. but now a days the oil can take it. i always switch to a top quality synthetic then it's golden. as long as your fan can cool it down fairly quickly 220 is not bad. mine rund 190 tull i start romping it then 200-210 i have seen. but it cools quickly.
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-25-2006, 10:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cobaltltblue
i would say it's ok. most engine dammage occurs when you get around 240-260 ish and that was just becouse of oil thinning and flying off the engine parts. but now a days the oil can take it. i always switch to a top quality synthetic then it's golden. as long as your fan can cool it down fairly quickly 220 is not bad. mine rund 190 tull i start romping it then 200-210 i have seen. but it cools quickly.
Well I agree that you would have immiediate damage with that temperature, but constant 220f will wear out engine prematurely. Boiling point of 50/50 mix of antifreeze is 223F (106C) and for water 212F (100C). I would think at 223F that the overheating dummy light would be on. are you guys sure your running that hot? personally my car has 212F just slow driving on residential streets with the a/c on. soon as I hit a major route doing 40mph it cooled down right away. If you blow an engine GM may not warranty it for you didnt notify them ASAP of the problem. just trying to help. hope you take what I am saying seriously. If you at least get GM dealership blessing that everything is okay you have covered your ass.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy Cobalt SS Forum : Chevrolet Cobalt SS Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode