Rotors - Chevy Cobalt SS Forum : Chevrolet Cobalt SS Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 27 (permalink) Old 04-14-2006, 12:58 PM Thread Starter
iso
Contributing User

Rotors

ok, so the deal with getting new tires has fallen through for me now. i'm gonna have to wait a bit and then i'll probably just pick up 2 of the oem pirellis oh well. anyway, the reason for this is cuz my front rotors are warped. i'd rather go aftermarket rather than have the dealer cut the rotors so that they can just warp again so my question is, does any one have any suggestions for aftermarket rotors. i don't want to go drilled yet because of the added wear, but i would like slotted. is anyone running aftermarket rotors that they would recommend, or does anyone know of any reliable ones for the ss. thanks for the help anyone who answers .

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

custom valve tap
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 27 (permalink) Old 04-14-2006, 01:06 PM

damn your rotors are warped???? how many miles are on your car? that's freakin ridiculous!!!
post #3 of 27 (permalink) Old 04-14-2006, 01:31 PM Thread Starter
iso
Contributing User

lol, yea they're warped. i have 17,000 miles on the car and i don't beat on it. i downshift to slow down while lightly applying the brakes, and i've only been to one autox event and it was in a parking lot and i only ran once and it was a small course... so it really shouldn't be from that. my brakes have been squeaking since i've had 5k miles on the car (before the auto x event) and i've takin it in once at 5k and once at 10k for the dealer to look at the brakes and they swore nothing was wrong, but apparently they were wrong, cuz now the rotors are warped and they want to charge me friggen 100 bucks to fix it. so, i'm gonna go aftermarket, cuz my dealer aint gettin any more of my money.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

custom valve tap

post #4 of 27 (permalink) Old 04-14-2006, 01:34 PM

damn that's scary because I have 16500 on mine... i guess i should get mine checked out.
post #5 of 27 (permalink) Old 04-14-2006, 01:44 PM
Contributing User

Send a message via AIM to ItalianJoe1
Slotted rotors will wear out your brakes just as fast as drilled. Its so fucked up that GM gave such weak brakes to such an otherwise high-performance car. They work great, they just dont last like they should.

We need more boost!

K&N CAI, GMPP exhaust w/XTC 3" d-pipe,
Ported stock exhaust manifold, B&M Shifter
Stage 2 w/2.8, DC Sport sturt brace,
Torque brace, CAB's, poly Trans mounts,
225/40/18 BFG KDW2 tires
GM drilled rotors w/Hawk Pads
post #6 of 27 (permalink) Old 04-14-2006, 02:18 PM

Mine went for 20,000 miles plus racing....

I've posted this a few times, but I almost warped my rotors from mis-torquing the caliper guide pins. A few people have told me no, yet two Saturn techs, one of which is probably a GM engineer, but won't disclose it, agreed with me. If no one has had the brakes off the car, then disregard. If it was ever re-done by GM, I'd be suspicious... I know, I've NEVER used a tq wrench on brakes before, but the minute I retorqued everything, all vibrations were gone.
post #7 of 27 (permalink) Old 04-14-2006, 02:52 PM

Well, as I have stated in my post.. ( SEE Brakes, alignment and misc CRAP )

I have had problems with my rotors since 3 weeks into the car's life.

I have had the front rotors cut 3 times between 4 and 13K miles.
THe rears were cut twice!

Ok... so I just now got back from teh dealer, and @ 20,800 miles they replaced all 4 rotors. Plus they cleaned the pads to make sure they were ok.

Other stuff they did is in that post, so I won't hi-jack this post.

You all ARE NOT ALONE in the issues with brakes.

Don't even get me started about the wheels.
post #8 of 27 (permalink) Old 04-14-2006, 03:09 PM

dude dont buy those oem pirrellis those are the biggest rip off ever... get the kumho ecstas.. they have just as good of wet and dry traction and a much better tread wear rating for $90 a tire !
post #9 of 27 (permalink) Old 04-14-2006, 03:10 PM

also warping rotors was a problem with the ION redlines so......
post #10 of 27 (permalink) Old 04-14-2006, 03:33 PM

Hell....
GM's small cars since the early cavaliers have had rotor issues. I've had 3 of these style cars, and none of them were immune to it.

Annoying isn't it?

I just power thru and make them pay for it as long as it's in warranty, and then suck it up when it isnt.

GM doesn't seem to listen to people and the dealers about it. Now... that's not to say all dealers actaully say soemthing to the higher ups about it, but I'm sure some do.

Going to start looking into a series of mods for the car now.

a little here, and a little there.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy Cobalt SS Forum : Chevrolet Cobalt SS Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode