Rims corroding - Chevy Cobalt SS Forum : Chevrolet Cobalt SS Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-23-2006, 04:36 PM Thread Starter

Rims corroding

yea so i was washin the ss a few weeks back and noticed that in between the grooves on my rims, there were a few spots where the finish was corroding and chipping...im sure it was most likely because of driving it through the winter months and the salt eatin away at them, however i figured it give my dealership a shot to see if they would warranty them...so the service manager looks at them, and says "young man thats because of road salt", and which point i responded "i garaged it for the winter", which was a total lie. so instantly he says "oh in that case well get you four new rims!"...haha i couldnt believe my ears the sucker totally believed me so i have 4 new rims comin
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-23-2006, 04:51 PM
Contributing User

Send a message via AIM to fljohnboy
There's lots of problems with these painted wheels. I've had my car since April 15 and told them when I bought it 1 of the wheels is flaking the paint off. They claim they have to refinish the wheel and won't get a replacement. So they have my car for 3 days while they send wheel out. Wheel comes back darker then the other 3. I told them from the beginning it will never match unless they do all 4. The car now has been at the dealer since last Wed, 6 days ago having the wheel sent out and done again. I've been without my car now going on 10 days out of 37 days when I bought it.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-23-2006, 07:18 PM

Damn, that sucks for you john! But good for you wordtourmama. I have the n/a, so mine are polished, hopefully I won't have any problems.

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-24-2006, 09:47 AM Thread Starter

yea that does suck man, im so lucky too, last weekend i hit a curb when a huge puddle made my hyrdoplane and i scraped the shit out of my front passenger rim, fortunatly there was no other body damage, and i already had the new ones ordered...there comin on tomarrow ...along with my 3rd fuckin shift knob
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-24-2006, 10:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by werdtourmoma
yea so i was washin the ss a few weeks back and noticed that in between the grooves on my rims, there were a few spots where the finish was corroding and chipping...im sure it was most likely because of driving it through the winter months and the salt eatin away at them, however i figured it give my dealership a shot to see if they would warranty them...so the service manager looks at them, and says "young man thats because of road salt", and which point i responded "i garaged it for the winter", which was a total lie. so instantly he says "oh in that case well get you four new rims!"...haha i couldnt believe my ears the sucker totally believed me so i have 4 new rims comin
WOW! That worked out well hah? Sweet!
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-24-2006, 06:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fljohnboy
There's lots of problems with these painted wheels. I've had my car since April 15 and told them when I bought it 1 of the wheels is flaking the paint off. They claim they have to refinish the wheel and won't get a replacement. So they have my car for 3 days while they send wheel out. Wheel comes back darker then the other 3. I told them from the beginning it will never match unless they do all 4. The car now has been at the dealer since last Wed, 6 days ago having the wheel sent out and done again. I've been without my car now going on 10 days out of 37 days when I bought it.
My wheels are in the process of being refinished, they were worried about a color match so they're doing all 4, and they're doing them in gunmetal, as I like that color better then stock anyway (almost went with full black..but I think black wheels + black car might be too much black).

I have spoken with the guy who is re-doing the wheels and he said the issue we're having is likely because the paint job looks to be a really cheap / rushed job. There's simply not enough product on the wheels to stand up to regular wear and tear that a rim experiences, stuff that should be on there to make this paint job last is simply not there.

My dealer said they havn't experienced anything like this with any of the cobalts around here, which I find shocking because I live in Nova Scotia and we use quite a lot of salt on our roads during the winter months (I personally did not own the car during the winter and this winter the rims are coming off at the first hint of salt). The guy who's re-finishing the wheels said he's shocked any of the paint jobs have held up with the kind of job thatwas done on these wheels.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-25-2006, 07:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spoony
My wheels are in the process of being refinished, they were worried about a color match so they're doing all 4, and they're doing them in gunmetal, as I like that color better then stock anyway (almost went with full black..but I think black wheels + black car might be too much black).

I have spoken with the guy who is re-doing the wheels and he said the issue we're having is likely because the paint job looks to be a really cheap / rushed job. There's simply not enough product on the wheels to stand up to regular wear and tear that a rim experiences, stuff that should be on there to make this paint job last is simply not there.

My dealer said they havn't experienced anything like this with any of the cobalts around here, which I find shocking because I live in Nova Scotia and we use quite a lot of salt on our roads during the winter months (I personally did not own the car during the winter and this winter the rims are coming off at the first hint of salt). The guy who's re-finishing the wheels said he's shocked any of the paint jobs have held up with the kind of job thatwas done on these wheels.
Black Wheels + black car would be ok IF there was a lip or something. With the SS wheels I think it would be too much black. I have a balck one too, and I was going to get AHS JH8 black with machined lip, which would have looked awesome, but finances dictate I keep the polished ones for now. :-(
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy Cobalt SS Forum : Chevrolet Cobalt SS Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode