Tranny problems? - Chevy Cobalt SS Forum : Chevrolet Cobalt SS Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-28-2006, 05:50 PM Thread Starter

Tranny problems?

new to the forums. i actually own a srt-4, but i highly respect the cobalt (was actually my second choice behind the srt-4). so anyways, my friend has a cobalt ss/sc and her tranny went out on her 2 times already (only has 2500 miles). dealer said something that the flywheel is burned out. not really sure what she told me, but just curious if you guys have any idea if this is a constant problem with the ss/sc or if she just can't drive.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-28-2006, 05:57 PM

In my cobalt build guide that i have, i cant find it at the moment, but i read something about a gear that is on the fly wheel that is made of poor quality metal and GM says that if you spend alot of time on the rev limiter, around 6500 rpms, that this causes the gear to expand and make the trany fail. It also gave an upgrade part number. As soon as i find my build guide ill hook you up with the part number.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-29-2006, 08:00 AM Thread Starter

that would be great. thanx!

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-29-2006, 08:29 AM

at 2,500 miles that would be ALOT of time on the rev limiter, but hey I guess anythings possible....I mean you can't eliminate driver error at this point.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-30-2006, 05:20 PM

I was looking for it in my build book, i couldnt find it. Google PDF files with the words; "Flywheel gear expands if a lot of time is spent on the rev limiter' ive downloaded and viewed so many i cant remember which one it is. but i do know that it is in a pdf file.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-02-2006, 08:08 PM

tranny prob

I just bought an 06 ss supercharged and my damn trans went out at 1900.. Ive only owned 5 speed cars and im pissed this happened.. just wondering if a lot of others have had the same prob.
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-03-2006, 12:40 PM

On paper the tranny is suppose to be pretty strong for the price. I beleive it was adapted from a turbo saab. The clutch on the other hand seems to be a "crap shoot" meaning some peoples are fine while others are pure garbage.

So you mean your entire transmission is shot or is your clutch just gone bad?

(i'm talking to bigdon)
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-02-2006, 01:17 AM

i dont think it the tranny i think its the cluch because wat happened to me the damn thing blew out peace of shit other than that i love the car
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy Cobalt SS Forum : Chevrolet Cobalt SS Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode