Got the shakes when braking! - Chevy Cobalt SS Forum : Chevrolet Cobalt SS Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 21 (permalink) Old 07-31-2006, 08:13 AM Thread Starter
Contributing User

Exclamation Got the shakes when braking!

I think my rotors have warped. I have less than 3000 miles on it and when I brake a little hard I have the shakes. Anyone else have this problem so early in the life of the rotors. I am taking it in but I just think if they replace the rotors it will just come back. Is this a problem with Cobalts or is just mine?
Thanks
John

'06 Black Cobalt SS Sedan
'71 Corvette Convertible

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 (permalink) Old 07-31-2006, 08:45 AM
Contributing User

Send a message via AIM to ItalianJoe1
Ha, replace the rotors. They are gonna cut the rotors and let it go. There is a bulletin out on that one. It will happen again if you continue to drive the same way. GM wants people to be easier on the brakes, but they are gonna warp sooner or later. Mine made it to about 9000. cut, and at 14000 they are doing it again. And i work at the freakin dealer. Nothin you can do short of upgrading to better aftermarket brakes.

We need more boost!

K&N CAI, GMPP exhaust w/XTC 3" d-pipe,
Ported stock exhaust manifold, B&M Shifter
Stage 2 w/2.8, DC Sport sturt brace,
Torque brace, CAB's, poly Trans mounts,
225/40/18 BFG KDW2 tires
GM drilled rotors w/Hawk Pads
post #3 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-09-2006, 04:59 PM

I had the same problem and mine has about 7500 miles on it now and they told me today that they were going to let it go for now because GM will only take care of it once a year now even if its still under warranty. They told me this is all new starting either this month or last month that gm does this

post #4 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-10-2006, 05:06 AM Thread Starter
Contributing User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evan24
I had the same problem and mine has about 7500 miles on it now and they told me today that they were going to let it go for now because GM will only take care of it once a year now even if its still under warranty. They told me this is all new starting either this month or last month that gm does this
I am taking mine in today and They'll have it for a week (vacation). I hope I don't get that song and dance. 3000 miles and my brakes are worn out????? I don't think so. If GM will not do anything to make it better I will pressure the dealarship to do something or they will get trashed by me if anyone ask if that dealership is any good. I just don't play games with a $20,000 purchase. I'll keep you posted.

'71 Corvette Convertible

post #5 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-10-2006, 01:59 PM
Contributing User

Send a message via AIM to ItalianJoe1
The problem is that the pads are not worn, just the rotors are warped. They will cut the rotors to eliminate the problem, and if it comes back, they might replace rotors and pads. It depends on how much they like you. And how loud you complain. If you haven't spent money there on service and they don't know you, you might not get much for free.

We need more boost!

K&N CAI, GMPP exhaust w/XTC 3" d-pipe,
Ported stock exhaust manifold, B&M Shifter
Stage 2 w/2.8, DC Sport sturt brace,
Torque brace, CAB's, poly Trans mounts,
225/40/18 BFG KDW2 tires
GM drilled rotors w/Hawk Pads
post #6 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-20-2006, 11:28 AM Thread Starter
Contributing User

Well the shakes are gone for now. The dealer just resurfaced the rotors. We'll see if it last more than 3000 miles this time. I also had the steering clunk. They replaced the intermediate steering shaft. Clunk gone.

'71 Corvette Convertible

post #7 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-20-2006, 11:44 AM

i have the same prob on my 2.2 and im going to get better rotors/ pads, mine started at about 7-8k and still doing it.
post #8 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-20-2006, 03:16 PM

ya my SS silverado had to get the brakes cut at 900 miles..... it started doing it worse at 2500 now, so im just getting Baer brakes
post #9 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-20-2006, 03:29 PM

wow. wish i had that much, id get my head and cam done...... maybe i can talk the gf into it.........
post #10 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-21-2006, 09:25 AM
Contributing User

Send a message via AIM to Butch Sosa
Quote:
Originally Posted by theandies
I think my rotors have warped. I have less than 3000 miles on it and when I brake a little hard I have the shakes. Anyone else have this problem so early in the life of the rotors. I am taking it in but I just think if they replace the rotors it will just come back. Is this a problem with Cobalts or is just mine?
Thanks
John
Are you sure it wasnt the anti-lock brakes that you felt because when I autocross and I get hard on the brakes the brake pedal will vibrate which is the anti-lock brakes working hard. I just figure this might be your problem just because you said under heavey breaking.

Also Nice 71' corvette. My dad just restored a 71 just like that. Same color but with a black convertable top and it had A/C. Does it have the 454?

2009 Turbo Cobalt SS
traded in 2005 SS/SC

Dragracing is for fast cars, autocross is for fast drivers.

This car looks fast even standing still!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy Cobalt SS Forum : Chevrolet Cobalt SS Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode