Help...blowing smoke!!!! - Chevy Cobalt SS Forum : Chevrolet Cobalt SS Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 23 (permalink) Old 08-13-2006, 12:21 PM Thread Starter

Exclamation Help...blowing smoke!!!!

Here lately when i am getting on it the car has started to blow smoke. I guess I'm going to take it to the dealership on monday, but i just wanted to see if anyone maybe knows why i'm having the problem.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 23 (permalink) Old 08-13-2006, 03:45 PM

If its black smoke its normal. GM programs their engines to run a little rich.
post #3 of 23 (permalink) Old 08-13-2006, 04:41 PM Thread Starter

Its more of a gray color, and I really don't understand why it decided to start doing it out of the blue. I have GM Stage 2 and a magnaflow catback. You think it would hurt to go ahead and let them check it out?

post #4 of 23 (permalink) Old 08-13-2006, 07:40 PM
Contributing User

Send a message via AIM to xravenwingsx Send a message via MSN to xravenwingsx
i have the exact same problem..i don't sweat it too much. could be if you're breaking the car in--the rings are still seating in the cylinders or just some crappy gas.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Injen CAI + Corsa Touring + GMPP Stg 2 + Eibachs
Hawk Pads + too much suspension to mention
On the way: Flywheel + DC Sports header
post #5 of 23 (permalink) Old 08-13-2006, 08:37 PM Thread Starter

Hopefully it is something like crappy gas. Last night i just met a guy with a yellow S/C SS and all he has is a cold air, and his car was pulling on me. He was behind me and i could see all of the smoke in his headlights. We ended up pulling over and i asked him if i was seeing things and he said that it was blowing pretty good. My Clutch isn't much anymore either so i know that can play a big factor in my exeleration, but he said he hasn't had smoke out of his yet. Thats why i kinda feel like something might be wrong with my performance too.
post #6 of 23 (permalink) Old 08-13-2006, 10:05 PM

i have the same probebly after i added the exhaust to the car. it just means the engine is running rich, not a bad thing, but its not a good thing for the pocket book at the pump ither. means you are putting un burnt gas out the tail pipe, but thats the cost of adding power to the car, more power equals less gas mileage.
post #7 of 23 (permalink) Old 08-23-2006, 10:31 PM

invest in a fuel management device such as apex'i safc II, your obviously running rich as everyone else is telling you, but do something about it, its not "ok" to run rich
post #8 of 23 (permalink) Old 08-24-2006, 11:24 AM

If the car runs too rich, you can cook your catalitic <sp> converter...it acts as an afterburner for unburned gas...too rich, it runs too hot...and can lead to an expensive repair
post #9 of 23 (permalink) Old 08-24-2006, 06:44 PM

ya the cars all run very rich. my cobalt, my buddies cobalt, and one of our employee's cobalt ALL blow a little gray smoke. totally normal, like they said its just excessive gas. the exhaust makes the smoke flow out more than stock (less restrictive) and the added boost/fuel from stage 2 will also make a little more smoke. my car is a stage 1 with a 2.8, and it blew LOTS of smoke under WOT. i had a magnaflow also.... BTW the reason the guy with the CAI was pulling on you is because the stage kits work different every day lol. mine made some crazy dyno numbers any given day, and sometimes it hardly pulled....
post #10 of 23 (permalink) Old 08-24-2006, 11:47 PM

Most performance cars from GM hit enrichment mode and throw a little smoke. Unburnt fuel is all.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy Cobalt SS Forum : Chevrolet Cobalt SS Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode