Right Front wheel clicks. - Chevy Cobalt SS Forum : Chevrolet Cobalt SS Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 31 (permalink) Old 08-24-2006, 08:39 PM Thread Starter

Right Front wheel clicks.

i have had a problem with a clicking sound from my right front wheel. i took it to the dealer and they heard the noise. it is a sharp click when pulling out quick but not too fast. and once you stop and go into revers it will click/snap again. also does it when shifting. almost as if when the drive train is going from a load to no load. anyways the dealership went over the whole front end and couldnt find anything. was told to come back if it gets worst. well it is. i let my buddy do it while i listen/watch and the tire moves a good 2 inch back and forth in the wheel well. had it on a lift and checked the a-arm bushins and i went over all the nuts and bolts but i cant find anything... any one have this problem? heard of it? know how to fix it?

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 31 (permalink) Old 08-24-2006, 09:05 PM

2006 Chevrolet Cobalt
Bulletin #: 050232005A
Sequence #: 10017497
Date: 11/01/2005
Component Name: 010000 steering
Make: Chevrolet
Model: Cobalt
Year: 2006
Summary: Ei05093 - clunk in steering system at slow speeds while turning and/or driving over bumps. *tt

2006 Chevrolet Cobalt
Bulletin #: 3687
Sequence #: 10016948
Date: 01/01/1901
Component Name: 020000 suspension
Summary: Clunk noise from front of vehicle during turning maneuver. *sc
post #3 of 31 (permalink) Old 08-25-2006, 07:08 AM
Contributing User

Send a message via AIM to ItalianJoe1
Quote:
Originally Posted by BLT2DRP06
i have had a problem with a clicking sound from my right front wheel. i took it to the dealer and they heard the noise. it is a sharp click when pulling out quick but not too fast. and once you stop and go into revers it will click/snap again. also does it when shifting. almost as if when the drive train is going from a load to no load. anyways the dealership went over the whole front end and couldnt find anything. was told to come back if it gets worst. well it is. i let my buddy do it while i listen/watch and the tire moves a good 2 inch back and forth in the wheel well. had it on a lift and checked the a-arm bushins and i went over all the nuts and bolts but i cant find anything... any one have this problem? heard of it? know how to fix it?

Thanks
No, there is not a bulletin to address this issue. My car does that. I have yet to put it up in the air to look at it, but it has done it for a long time, exactly as you describe, when first moving off or reversing.

We need more boost!

K&N CAI, GMPP exhaust w/XTC 3" d-pipe,
Ported stock exhaust manifold, B&M Shifter
Stage 2 w/2.8, DC Sport sturt brace,
Torque brace, CAB's, poly Trans mounts,
225/40/18 BFG KDW2 tires
GM drilled rotors w/Hawk Pads

post #4 of 31 (permalink) Old 08-25-2006, 07:12 AM
Contributing User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forseti
2006 Chevrolet Cobalt
Bulletin #: 050232005A
Sequence #: 10017497
Date: 11/01/2005
Component Name: 010000 steering
Summary: Ei05093 - clunk in steering system at slow speeds while turning and/or driving over bumps. *tt

2006 Chevrolet Cobalt
Bulletin #: 3687
Sequence #: 10016948
Date: 01/01/1901
Component Name: 020000 suspension
Summary: Clunk noise from front of vehicle during turning maneuver. *sc
Both of these issues are more of a popping noise felt when turning or going over bumps, due to normal operation of the electric power steering or to insufficent lubrication in the intermediate shaft, which is a division-wide problem. Not the noise i have.

We need more boost!

225/40/18 BFG KDW2 tires
post #5 of 31 (permalink) Old 08-25-2006, 08:07 AM

Almost sounds like a CV Joint than anything... Hmmm
post #6 of 31 (permalink) Old 08-25-2006, 10:03 AM
Contributing User

Quote:
Originally Posted by S8ER95Z
Almost sounds like a CV Joint than anything... Hmmm
Yeah, thats what i think, but i have yet to get a chance to look at it.

We need more boost!

225/40/18 BFG KDW2 tires
post #7 of 31 (permalink) Old 08-26-2006, 03:44 PM Thread Starter

i also thought C-v joint but you cant tell. unless the boot is ripped and thats a dead give-away. but there not. i have "heard" that subaru's had this type of problem and what it was is the splines on the cv shaft having play at the wheel hub but i personaly havent read anything.. and joe if you find it let me know...
post #8 of 31 (permalink) Old 08-27-2006, 02:39 PM
Contributing User

if its the cv joint

You should be able to feel it if the wheels are off the ground and turn them sharply one way spin the wheel slowly and feel the drive shaft.

Cobalt SS Supercharged,Racaro Preformance option
post #9 of 31 (permalink) Old 08-27-2006, 02:44 PM
Contributing User

Could it be somthing in the Engine compartment

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLT2DRP06

Thanks
If its when you load and unload the engine it could be from the engine rocking and what you are hearing is maybe air con hosing or the main motor mount on that side of the car.

Cobalt SS Supercharged,Racaro Preformance option
post #10 of 31 (permalink) Old 08-27-2006, 05:37 PM Thread Starter

well the sound is almost directly in the center of the wheel. i also looked with the hood open with a buddy driving. thinking it was the engine. but it dont move hardly. i had the wheels up and spinning and it wouldnt click. but like i said the wheel does move back and forth in the wheel well. so i dont know. it almost torq in and forward or reverse depending. and the dealer/ boss said he would hook up the chassie ear's. which they hook up 5-9 clamps on the car and they can listen to each one but i havent had time to get it back there to do so.. and im hoping its something little. i wanted to look into it today but it is raining ahah.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy Cobalt SS Forum : Chevrolet Cobalt SS Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode