Car has the shakes once in a while - Chevy Cobalt SS Forum : Chevrolet Cobalt SS Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-26-2006, 03:47 PM Thread Starter

Exclamation Car has the shakes once in a while

I have a strange problem with my car. It is a 2005 base model coup. So no antilock brakes, or anything else special.

A while ago I had the tires rotated. 2 days later I was driving down the interstate, and the car started vibrating slightly. At first I thought I lost a weight off one the wheels or something. When I applied slight brake, it vibrated more. Then I took an off ramp, and it dissappeared. So I figured maybe it was the road.

A week or so later it happened again. Except it went from the interstate, down an off ramp, and onto another road. Maybe 2 or 3 miles. I came to a stop light, and applying brakes hard enough to make the car stop made it really come to life! It was shaking so bad I had a water bottle on the floor bouncing into the air. When the light turned green, I started off again and there was no more vibration.

I checked all 4 wheels, and they are all bolted on securely, and straight. The tires are not wearing funny at all. At all other times, the car drives smooth. No hint of a tire being out of balance.

I'm hoping someone here can help me. It has only happened those 2 times, and GM can't fix something they can't reproduce. But I don't feel safe at 65mph anymore. Could it possibly be a brake issue? What do you guys think?

Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-26-2006, 04:43 PM

2 things.

1. when the dealership put rims on my car they suposedly forgot to take some plasticlips off which made my car do the same thing.
2. there is a issue with our cars and front rotors warping which mine is now doing. the dealerships arent really doing there job on replaceing them (as far as i have heard.) and with my issues just to get them to look at the car i beleive it... i would take it to another shop and have them see if its the rotors. other then that i dont know really what else it could be.
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-26-2006, 05:14 PM

Lightbulb

it is very possible that your alignment can be off. next time your on the highway and it starts to shake look down and see what speed your goin. my 75' nova does it at 60-70mph. once i reach 100 well the whole car shakes haha

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-26-2006, 06:56 PM Thread Starter

Yeah, I read there were some issues with the rotors. But wouldn't it shake all the time if it was warped? Maybe not, but it seems like it would.

And the times it has started shaking were at around 65-70 miles per hour. But it continued on a road where I was going 45 mph. And it vibrated until I came to a complete stop. Also, I go 65-70 mph frequently, and it does not do it everytime.

It happened in the same area of interstate on both occasions. Which is weird also, since I drive that same road every single day, and it doesn't do it every day.

I'll have someone check out the rotors though, just to be on the safe side. Does anyone think it would be worth it to pull over and feel the temp of the tires the next time it happens? If there was some issue with alignment, would one tire be noticebly hotter than the others?
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-26-2006, 08:01 PM

nah, tires would be fine...... if its only doing it when you hit your breaks, then id bet my next paycheck that its the rotors. if it does it with out hitting the brakes, then your suspension is most likely loose or fucked. in fact that COULD be a pretty serious issue. if it had something to do with your power steering control it would of stored it in the pcm and gm would of seen it.
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-27-2006, 03:20 PM
Contributing User

Check the Tire Pressure

I found on one of my other cars that if one tire gets low that the diameter
of the wheel gets smaller and in the front wheel drive car having the differential as part of the drive line ,it caused the car to what felt like a shake but was actually a shimmy I guess .
If I let go of the wheel it would actually move back and forth.Pumping up the tires would fix it until it became low again.

Cobalt SS Supercharged,Racaro Preformance option
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-27-2006, 05:18 PM

yea but he said he had a 2.2L like me.. no lsd's here bro... but i supose that could still do the same thing depending on the senereo..
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-28-2006, 12:21 PM
Contributing User

i'll take your paycheck, because if the rotors were warped, you'd feel it all the time.
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-28-2006, 04:22 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by whodis
i'll take your paycheck, because if the rotors were warped, you'd feel it all the time.
That's what I was thinking too.

I just don't understand how a problem like this (which is obviously related to the wheels spinning) can only happen intermittently. I'm definately going to have them looked at anyway, just because I have no other ideas.

Some people have suggested the suspension may be the problem. But I'm not sure how that could be.

I got a new car so I wouldn't have to deal with this sort of thing.

Last edited by sethlives1; 08-28-2006 at 04:24 PM.
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-09-2008, 03:10 AM

i have the same problem ,, under hard braking thier is a pulsation scraping noise , took it to the dealer and they said it was a brake cover ?? and its still doing it ,, gonna take it back agian ,, and bitch them out :P
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy Cobalt SS Forum : Chevrolet Cobalt SS Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode