20+ lbs of boost with stage 2, WTF??? - Chevy Cobalt SS Forum : Chevrolet Cobalt SS Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 30 (permalink) Old 09-04-2006, 04:30 PM Thread Starter

20+ lbs of boost with stage 2, WTF???

Hey guys, i have a Cobalt SS/SC with stage 2, intake, and torque dampener. I was under the impression that the car hits about 12.5 psi stock and about 15psi boost with GMPP stage 2. Anyway enough blabbering, heres the problem;

When under hard acceleration approaching redline (7000 rpm) in normal conditions, my stock boost gauge is reading 20+ psi of boost.

The arrow on the boost gauge is literally off the charts.

My CEL has been on ever since i installed the Injen CAI, but the car has been performing PERFECTLY so i have been just trying to ignore it until i get a chance to take it in.

Any input would be nice, i hope its just a gauge issue and not a blower issue.

Thanks,
Elf
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 30 (permalink) Old 09-04-2006, 04:35 PM

Hmm. I was under the impression that stage 2 with the stock pully is only like 15+ But if you have a 2.8'' pulley or smaller I would understand the 20+psi
post #3 of 30 (permalink) Old 09-04-2006, 04:38 PM

To fix your cel problem. try disconnecting you MAF and battery. Battery first, then MAF. Then wait a bit and reconnect the MAF and then your battery. That should take care of your cel problem.

post #4 of 30 (permalink) Old 09-04-2006, 04:41 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackSS/SC06
To fix your cel problem. try disconnecting you MAF and battery. Battery first, then MAF. Then wait a bit and reconnect the MAF and then your battery. That should take care of your cel problem.

Thanks for such a quick post dude, i really appreciate it. I'm running the stage 2 pully though so it cant be pully unless i just got a freak pulley.

Also, i have a noob question. Is the MAF the sensor that i physically removed from the stock airbox and placed on the CAI piping when installing the CAI?
post #5 of 30 (permalink) Old 09-04-2006, 04:46 PM

Yes it looks like a computer chip almost, i had the same problem when i put on my fujita till i disconnected the battery for like 30 min. but 20 wow i have the stage 2 with 2.8 and i am lucky to get 16-17 at 7000rpms
post #6 of 30 (permalink) Old 09-04-2006, 04:54 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChevelleElite
Yes it looks like a computer chip almost, i had the same problem when i put on my fujita till i disconnected the battery for like 30 min. but 20 wow i have the stage 2 with 2.8 and i am lucky to get 16-17 at 7000rpms
Yea i know its crazy! I'm thinking my gauge is bad. Thats all i can think of. The only other possibilty is GM sent me the wrong pully in my stage 2 kit, but thats next to impossible. Either way i'm gonna do that MAF thing you guys are talking about and see what happens

Another quick noob question, is it possible to mess with the MAF without removing my FREAKING wheel and wheel well? I swear it took me 5 minutes to actually put the Injen in while it took me about an hour and a half to jack the car up and remove the wheel and wheel well.

Perhaps i can just remove the wheel well and leave my wheel on?
post #7 of 30 (permalink) Old 09-04-2006, 04:59 PM

ehh im pretty sure i had to take that whole mf apart. considering thats the longest cai install i have ever seen.

but i am not sure.
post #8 of 30 (permalink) Old 09-04-2006, 10:06 PM

I didnt even have to take my wheel off to put my K&N Intake in, I just turned the wheel all the way to the left and it gave me plenty of room.
post #9 of 30 (permalink) Old 09-04-2006, 10:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnsRallyYellowSS
I didnt even have to take my wheel off to put my K&N Intake in, I just turned the wheel all the way to the left and it gave me plenty of room.
i have a aem cai and i have to install it so i hope i dont hav to take my wheel off... i just bought my new rims and i'd have to remove it... cuz u know shit happens..
post #10 of 30 (permalink) Old 09-04-2006, 10:45 PM

Yeah I know, like sliding them across the concrete and scuffing them. I didnt want to take them off because I have a "free tres for life deal with the dealership" and I didnt know if they could tell if I took them off by the torque of the lugnuts. I'm just quary about those things... But it only took me like 30 min to install, most of it was taking loose the fender liner
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy Cobalt SS Forum : Chevrolet Cobalt SS Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode