Sunroof Leak - Chevy Cobalt SS Forum : Chevrolet Cobalt SS Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-06-2006, 03:24 PM Thread Starter
Contributing User

Sunroof Leak

Today it's been raining all day and when I got into my car to come home I noticed water dripping from the on-star mic. At first I thought it was from the umbrella when I got in so I dried it off. It came back by the time I got home (17 miles). I took it to the dealer and they took the mic out and it seems that it is leaking through the motor some how. The service writer said that a lady had just left with the same thing. The rain is almost gone so I made an appointment for Thursday (They are all booked up until then). Is there anyone else that has experienced this and what did they do to fix it? Replace the motor? Did it come back? The dealer taped up the lady’s sun roof and asked if I wanted them to do it to mine but I don't want tape on my paint.

'06 Black Cobalt SS Sedan
'71 Corvette Convertible

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-06-2006, 08:35 PM

i was lucky not to get caught in the rain, i opened my sunroof to find out that it wouldnt close anymore. the dealer had to rip the motor out and seal the sunroof shut. i believe he had to order the entire track and motor.its been 2 weeks and the parts just came in, gets fixed tuesday. did your sunroof ever make a loud click when it shut??? two days before it quit, it would click when it shut. but hey, they gave me a free oil change for the wait!
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-07-2006, 07:20 AM Thread Starter
Contributing User

Nope, no clunk. The roof works fine. I don't understand how GM could design a sunroof motor that would leak. Actually I don't know how the motor could be leaking because it is out from under the opening. It is strange to say the least. I fix everything myself and have an A&P license (to work on aircraft) and I've restored the entire drive train on my Corvette so I consider myself a pretty good mechanic. It is just strange. I am going to request a new head liner too because the one in there is wet. It's not a huge leak, just a drip every 10 minutes or so. There is a manual slot (for a flat balde screwdriver) on the motor to close the roof if the motor fails. That is where the drip is and I showed the service writer. It's just strange. I suggest to all that have a sunroof to check it because if it hadn't showed up on my on-star mic I probably would have never had know until it ruined my interior.

'71 Corvette Convertible

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-10-2006, 02:54 AM
Contributing User

The only concern I have about my sunroof is on occasion when opening or at the end of closing the rubber will rub and make a noise like a person sliding against a leather couch.

07 Tahoe LT

07 Sport Red 4 door SS:
-sticking around for now
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-12-2006, 09:07 AM Thread Starter
Contributing User

My cars is in the shop right now. They said it is an adjusment problem. The service writer said that the problem is even worse on the Impala's. I hope to get my car back this afternoon. They gave me a Malibu for a loaner.....what a differance. I miss my 'Balt. The Malibu is a nice car...........if your 70 years old.

'71 Corvette Convertible

post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-14-2006, 07:39 PM Thread Starter
Contributing User

Well I got it back from the dealer. They kept it for a day and had to adjust the rear part of the sunroof up a bit. I did notice a rattle when the roof was closed before but not the rattle is gone. The rattle was not there when I bought the car so I guess that had something to do with the leak too. As soon as I got home I washed it and it didn't leak.

'71 Corvette Convertible

post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-14-2006, 09:58 PM

I havnt had any problems with mine, bt I did notice that the back end of the glass wasnt "flush" with the roof of the car... I may get them to mess with it when I get my stage 2 kit installed.
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-15-2006, 06:47 AM Thread Starter
Contributing User

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnsRallyYellowSS View Post
I havnt had any problems with mine, bt I did notice that the back end of the glass wasnt "flush" with the roof of the car... I may get them to mess with it when I get my stage 2 kit installed.
Is it not flush low or high. Mine was sagging low causing the front to leak. Now that they adjusted it the back is about 1/16th higher than the roof line. I can live with that as long as it dosen't leak!!!! Does your rattle. Like I said above mine didn't rattle before the leak started so if yours is rattling you might want to make sure it's not leaking. I didn't notice the leak until it started coming out of my on-star mic.

'71 Corvette Convertible

post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-22-2015, 05:11 PM

I think that*this information is*the best.

Last edited by Prikfireyw; 03-05-2015 at 06:18 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy Cobalt SS Forum : Chevrolet Cobalt SS Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode