Why am i hitting 22lbs of boost still? - Chevy Cobalt SS Forum : Chevrolet Cobalt SS Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 10-10-2006, 12:27 PM Thread Starter

Why am i hitting 22lbs of boost still?

Okay, with the modds in my sig, i am hitting 22lbs of boost at redline. I have taken it into the dealership (very nice guys there) and they have replaced both my "boost solenoid" and my actual boost gauge, yet i still have the problem.

My acceleration seems to be fine and i told them to check the cat but they said there instruments gave them no indication of a clogged catalytic converter.

The mechanic is stumped and when he called the GM techline or whatever, the operator said this and i quote "turbocharger's boost levels can fluctuate in south GA because of the humidty and low altitudes"..........

So apparently my car is turbocharged and is boosting 7 lbs higher than normal because of my location............IDIOTS

Anyway, i have grown tired of bugging the mechanics at the dealership and have decided to take measures into my own hands. I recently ordered the GMPP cat back exhaust sytem. The dealership will be installing it and i am going to ask him to "inspect the cat" whenever he is installing the exhaust.

So my question is, will the tech be able to determine anything by actually looking at the cat with no exhaust on, and if my cat is clogged-will the catback exhaust system help reduce my overboosting??

Thanks for any advice or suggestions ahead of time,

Elf
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 10-10-2006, 08:19 PM

when a cat clogs, it actually melts down, and pieces of it will fall out. it'll look like uh..honeycomb i guess, with some of it clogged. if you're not having a loss of power your cat is probably fine. you'd also get a cel and a P0420 code if the convertor was failing.
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 10-10-2006, 09:13 PM

sounds like a possible fucked MAP sensor.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy Cobalt SS Forum : Chevrolet Cobalt SS Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode