Intercooler/Radiator Protection - Chevy Cobalt SS Forum : Chevrolet Cobalt SS Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-31-2005, 06:37 PM Thread Starter

Intercooler/Radiator Protection

I have one small problem. It has not escalated to physical damage. The bottom part of the front spoiler does not have a mesh protector for the radiator/intercooler. I feel that a direct hit from a rock may seriously damage the radiator/intercooler (don't know exactly which one it is). Are there any aftermarket mesh components that will offer protection?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-31-2005, 07:39 PM

Thumbs up

You can get a screen but the charged air cooler can take a shot where it is located but it is a one in a million. Many after market but just more weight. Horsepower verses Weight. Pick your battles Luke !
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-31-2005, 10:42 PM

Send a message via AIM to CoBIZZLE
The thing you see through the front bumper would be your radiator, and yes any aftermarket mesh would probably help out just fine...

post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-31-2005, 11:44 PM

Yeah i would add i mesh in front just to hide the radiator and keep it safe i have had my fair share of rock's hitting my car i got like four nice size chips in my window and a good bit of rock damage on the front of my car.

post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-03-2005, 01:07 PM

Yeah I noticed the same thing after my highway trip.....bugs splattered all over the radiator. So being as I work in a machine shop, Im gonna have the CNC depatrment make me a custom grill/mesh to help out incase of something nasty slipping thru and making me very angry!
post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-03-2005, 01:47 PM

Just for reference, SS's do not have an intercooler. Its a heat exchanger for the coolant that runs through the IC in your intake manifold, a radiator if you will. Just please people stop calling it an intercooler, because thats not what it is. If it was, you could also call your radiator an intercooler.
post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-03-2005, 03:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MY GTP 8 U
Just for reference, SS's do not have an intercooler. Its a heat exchanger for the coolant that runs through the IC in your intake manifold, a radiator if you will. Just please people stop calling it an intercooler, because thats not what it is. If it was, you could also call your radiator an intercooler.
Ok thanks i was just saying that it needs to be protected form the roads in PA they suck a$$ and have alot of stones and i just don't want it get to many stones to it and possably have one freak stone take out my ratiator. But thanks for the info.

Last edited by 87camaroPA; 06-03-2005 at 05:18 PM.
post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-03-2005, 03:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MY GTP 8 U
they do have a intercooler, it is air to water i think, do some research for it
post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-03-2005, 06:11 PM

Sorry I meant they do not have a front mount intercooler. I forgot those 2 important words in that one But if you read more closely youll see I mentioned the IC in the intake manifold And yes it is air to water.
post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-04-2005, 06:37 PM
Contributing User

Wow so much misinformation.
If a rock were to damage the silver radiator looking thing it would leave you without A/C as this part is called the "Air Conditioning Condenser" and is mounted directly in front of the radiator.
If you install any form of protection make certain that is does not restrict the airflow at all or the car may overheat on hot days when you are running the A/C.
This car is equipped with an Inter-Cooler just not these parts in the front so we will probably continue to call it an "Inter-Cooler" even though some guy thinks that we shouldn't.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy Cobalt SS Forum : Chevrolet Cobalt SS Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode