22 psi still under warranty. HELP - Chevy Cobalt SS Forum : Chevrolet Cobalt SS Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 29 (permalink) Old 10-23-2006, 12:03 PM Thread Starter

22 psi still under warranty. HELP

Okay guys its me again, I'm the guy who is hitting over 22 psi on a Cobalt SS/SC that SHOULD NOT be hitting that much boost. The only mods i had at the time were an Injen CAI and GMPP Stage 2.

Many of you advised me that it was a clogged catalytic converter or that my exhaust was too restrictive.

So i took your advice and had the GMPP catback exhaust and a magnaflow hi-flow cat installed.

But i'm still overboosting at 22psi. I have taken it to two different mechanics, one was a very good GM mechanic and the other guy was a western auto head mechanic, and both of them cannot figure it out.

The stock boost gauge has been replaced and a new boost solenoid has been installed. (under warranty), so i know its not a bad gauge/read.

The car runs fine and my gas mileage is awesome. Occasionally after running it hard the blower whine will start to surge at around 6-7K RPM. But it does not seem to be a problem and acceleration does not suffer.

Please help! I love my Cobalt and do not want to melt the blower/blow the engine.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 29 (permalink) Old 10-23-2006, 04:20 PM

It could be the sensor on the sc that may be bad, as it is an electronic piece...
post #3 of 29 (permalink) Old 10-23-2006, 04:22 PM

I got a better idea... I have a CarChips car chip in my car and you can monitor 5 different paramaters at one time. They are about $99 and you can check manifold absolute pressure, and a bunch of other things, Id give it a try.

post #4 of 29 (permalink) Old 10-23-2006, 04:28 PM

I say dont worry about it the more boost the better. Those ecotecs are damn strong you will blow other things before the motor fails.
post #5 of 29 (permalink) Old 10-23-2006, 04:36 PM

^^^ yes true, i have heard of 400hp on stock internals, but 17-18 is all that you need. Anything over that is not going to help much. If you think about it, when you boost til 0psi, you already have doubled the atmospheric pressure than that of a naturally aspirated engine. At 14.7 psi it is tripled.
post #6 of 29 (permalink) Old 10-23-2006, 04:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnsRallyYellowSS View Post
^^^ yes true, i have heard of 400hp on stock internals, but 17-18 is all that you need. Anything over that is not going to help much. If you think about it, when you boost til 0psi, you already have doubled the atmospheric pressure than that of a naturally aspirated engine. At 14.7 psi it is tripled.
hey its probably a sensor reading it up about 15% but who cares i have the same set up, i hope my car runs that much boost after my installation of the stg2 on my car. I Can only imagine what it sounds like, when i put that injen intake on there the superchager whine was unbeleivable. I would like for bragging rights, you run more boost than a stock evo and your rocking a cobalts thats pretty awsome.
post #7 of 29 (permalink) Old 10-23-2006, 04:48 PM

^^^ hells yeah..
post #8 of 29 (permalink) Old 10-23-2006, 05:13 PM Thread Starter

Lol, thanks guys. You are some of the most optimistic people i have ever talked to. The people over at the other cobalt site helped alot but basically said "your gonna blow your motor, better figure it out soon".

And the blower screams so loud that when i pass people, they almost start pulling over because they think i'm an ambulance or something.

Anyway, give me some more info on that car chips thing. I was thinking about gettting the aerofroce interceptor but its like 230 bucks!!

anyway, thanks for the input and keep the suggestions coming
post #9 of 29 (permalink) Old 10-23-2006, 05:19 PM

You can get the CarChips thing at any autozone, thats the only place ive seen it at so far. Where are you from anyways? If your close to NC I can let you use it than we can upload it on my pc and see exactly whats happening. I was looking at the interceptor also, art number: fx1 at autozone and only costs $99, but I dont think it reads MAF.
post #10 of 29 (permalink) Old 10-23-2006, 05:20 PM

is it throwing any codes?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy Cobalt SS Forum : Chevrolet Cobalt SS Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode