idle drop after stops - Chevy Cobalt SS Forum : Chevrolet Cobalt SS Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-07-2006, 11:37 AM Thread Starter

idle drop after stops

Hey, I have a 06 SS/SC that I just got, I have 1800 miles on it. Ever since I got it, about a month ago, when I come to a stop at lights or whatever, the idle will drop to about 500 rpms, almost die, then jump back up to 1500 and back down to 500, etc. It does this back and forth about 3 or 4 times, then it levels off to normail 800-900 rpm. It does this probably 75% of the time. It doesn't matter if I was getting on it or idleing through town, it does it regardless. Its just a little discouraging because its a brand new car. It sat on the show room floor at the dealer where I bought it for 355 days. So, I don't know if sitting so long had anything to do with it or not.
Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-07-2006, 11:44 AM

The sitting part has nothing to do with the problem your experiencing. I would take it back to the dealership and have the computer reflashed. My car has nevr done that, before or even after modifications.
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-07-2006, 12:25 PM Thread Starter

Smile

Yeah I called the local dealer, not where I bought it, as I bought it out of state. I have an appointment tomorrow morning. He said he worked at saturn for several years and he has heard of similar problems there, he said maybe having the ECU reprogrammed will fix it.
Good call John.

Thanks for the help.

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-07-2006, 12:32 PM

hey, no problem, thats what this website/forum is for
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-07-2006, 01:37 PM

Mine does that, its because of the supercharger, and do you push in the clutch really fast after going or something sometimes thats when it does it to me.
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-07-2006, 04:43 PM
Contributing User

Send a message via AIM to 06supercharged
yea mine does that to if i push the clutch in to fast

rally yellow cobalt ss/sc
mods: injen cai, poly tranny mounts, vibrant performance header/dp w/ highflow cat, corsa sport exhaust, custom tune
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-07-2006, 05:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 06supercharged View Post
yea mine does that to if i push the clutch in to fast
I wouldnt worry about it all forced induction cars have idle jitters like that, ive driven srt's mazdaspeed 3's and all do the same its just part of a sc or tubo'd car.
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-07-2006, 05:30 PM Thread Starter

I used to have a AWD Talon and now that you mention it, it used to do it once in awhile too. Well, I'll see what the dealer finds, if they can't fix it, I guess I'll just get used to it.
Thanks guys,
I appreciate it.
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-07-2006, 05:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by infantry scout View Post
I used to have a AWD Talon and now that you mention it, it used to do it once in awhile too. Well, I'll see what the dealer finds, if they can't fix it, I guess I'll just get used to it.
Thanks guys,
I appreciate it.
To me its a small price to pay to have a sweet ride.
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-11-2006, 08:03 PM

common problem...there's a TSB with an "updated" calibration that MAY or MAY NOT correct the issue - folks all over the country have had their vehicles updated and it's hit or miss whether or not the fix takes.

It has everything to do with the ambient temps and air density on any given day, which is why the "tune" may work or may not based on your environment.

Personally, I had mine reflashed, and it seemed to fix things temporarily, but then the ECU seemingly re-learned the ways of old and it started up again - I've since gone to the 60# injectors so I'm on my own tuning it out...which I've done.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy Cobalt SS Forum : Chevrolet Cobalt SS Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode