CAI = lean code - Chevy Cobalt SS Forum : Chevrolet Cobalt SS Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-02-2007, 04:11 PM Thread Starter
Contributing User

Send a message via AIM to 06supercharged
CAI = lean code

ok i have had an injen cai on my car for about 4000miles now and i havent had a problem but the other night my CEL came on so i went to my dealer asked them to check it out for me. they were 2 busy to see me so i made an appointmen for today at 1oclock. well with my luck the CEL light turned off on the way to the dealer, had them check it anyway and they said it was throwing a lean code. now i kno a CAI can throw codes i dont kno what tho.
anyway he said they cant do anything for me bc the intake is on the car.
will a CAI throw lean codes and do you think its something i should worry about. the CEL light was on for like 150miles or so befor going off

rally yellow cobalt ss/sc
mods: injen cai, poly tranny mounts, vibrant performance header/dp w/ highflow cat, corsa sport exhaust, custom tune
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-02-2007, 04:34 PM

Shouldnt have to worry about it, only if the light is flashing. I've had mine on my car for about 7,000 miles and no problem. The light just being on constanlty means an emissions problem. Next time, drop by an AutoZone, they can at least tell you what code # it is (i.e. P0304 etc.)
post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-02-2007, 05:40 PM Thread Starter
Contributing User

i have the reciept from the dealer
the code # is P0171
dont kno what that means tho

my ls 2.2 balt threw the same code about a month befor i got rid of it and they said it happend bc i was driveing it to hard lol and the actually had to do engine work to it. that was stock tho

mods: injen cai, poly tranny mounts, vibrant performance header/dp w/ highflow cat, corsa sport exhaust, custom tune

Last edited by 06supercharged; 01-02-2007 at 05:47 PM.

post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-02-2007, 08:04 PM

Its not the intake its the MAF i would say it regulates the air and those intakes are engineered to not throw codes. Is yours any earlier model mine has the MR technology and (knock on wood) no probs.
post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-02-2007, 10:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by suprchged View Post
Its not the intake its the MAF i would say it regulates the air and those intakes are engineered to not throw codes. Is yours any earlier model mine has the MR technology and (knock on wood) no probs.
Im not to say that the installation was wrong, but was the MAF sensor installed backinto original position? The sensor has a "dog-eared" piece on the bottom side that must be facing towards the filter. Also, make sure there are no leaks right there at the throttle body, sometimes if the gasket or sleve works loose it can cause a code.
post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-02-2007, 11:29 PM Thread Starter
Contributing User

im pretty sure i installed it right simply because it worked fine for 4000miles and only threw a code for like 150miles and then turned itself off. ill keep an eye on it but as long as theres no serious danger to my car i wont lose sleep over it

post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-03-2007, 12:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by suprchged View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnsRallyYellowSS View Post
Im not to say that the installation was wrong, but was the MAF sensor installed backinto original position? The sensor has a "dog-eared" piece on the bottom side that must be facing towards the filter. Also, make sure there are no leaks right there at the throttle body, sometimes if the gasket or sleve works loose it can cause a code.
Hold on just a sec...

yes it is the intake..effecting the MAF sensor not the MAF havening an issue...its doing what its suposed to do with a stock tune....the MAF tells the ECM how much air is passing through the intake air path thus giving the car the information need for proper air/fuel mix's at any given RPM and TPS setting.

an intake having "MR" or being designed to not throw a code are rather trivial in any sense.....any difference +/- 2% of expected air flow will throw eather a p0171 code(lean code) or P0172(rich code) depending on weather your over or under what is expected...

in other words any intake can throw a code...some are just better at geting the maf at closer to OEM placement in the air stream so it cant pick up all the extra air thats moving around it.....rather simple...however very hard to do.

if you were able to fit the maf in at the wrong direction i give you credit for braking the housing and/or sensor to make it fit....

this is just an example of what cars will do with an aftermarket part around a very sensitive piece..

my advice is to disconnect the battery for 15+MIN...then reconnect and drive VERY east but in all RPM's for 20-30min in hopes that ECM will rewrite some of its VE tables with higher cylinder air mass levels and maf correlations....normally they do.

HTH
post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-03-2007, 07:30 AM

There is a very simple fix for this.

Just take the car to a dealership and get the newest reflash. The CEL will stay away.
post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-03-2007, 08:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CTCOBALTSSS View Post
There is a very simple fix for this.

Just take the car to a dealership and get the newest reflash. The CEL will stay away.
that re-flash is not 100%

I've seen 2 cars that had it done and it still came on....

one with the new style Injen and the other with an original K&N
post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-03-2007, 10:49 PM Thread Starter
Contributing User

06black to the rescue again lol
thanks for the tip ill try dissconecting the battery tomorrow
as for the reflash my dealer didnt seem to willing to help me out as long as the intake was on my car

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy Cobalt SS Forum : Chevrolet Cobalt SS Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode