Caliper - Chevy Cobalt SS Forum : Chevrolet Cobalt SS Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 19 (permalink) Old 01-07-2007, 04:06 AM Thread Starter
Contributing User

Caliper

I recently had a problem with a caliper falling off while driving 80mph due to poor machining. Has anybody else had this problem? Gm covered it through warranty, but tried to claim that I failed to put the bolts back on after I painted the calipers. That was crap because I brush painted the calipers with the calipers on the car. The replaced the caliper, so now I need to paint the new one.

07 Tahoe LT
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

07 Sport Red 4 door SS:
-sticking around for now
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 (permalink) Old 01-07-2007, 08:37 AM

can you pm me some pics of your rotors, what kind of paint did you use, etc
post #3 of 19 (permalink) Old 01-07-2007, 06:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by domin8_gt View Post
I recently had a problem with a caliper falling off while driving 80mph due to poor machining. Has anybody else had this problem? Gm covered it through warranty, but tried to claim that I failed to put the bolts back on after I painted the calipers. That was crap because I brush painted the calipers with the calipers on the car. The replaced the caliper, so now I need to paint the new one.

i have never seen a caliper fall off before

and our calipers are cast aluminum , but if u didnt take them off then something must have hit it

post #4 of 19 (permalink) Old 01-07-2007, 07:09 PM Thread Starter
Contributing User

Quote:
Originally Posted by suprchged View Post
can you pm me some pics of your rotors, what kind of paint did you use, etc
I didn't paint my rotors, I painted my calipers. I didn't use anything special. Just happened to notice it at Wal-Mart's automotive department when I was looking for double-sided tape. I thought I'd give it a try. I used red. It came in a kit packaged in a black box with a picture on it. I'm about to leave for Colorado, but as soon as I can I will tell you exactly what type.

07 Tahoe LT
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

07 Sport Red 4 door SS:
-sticking around for now
post #5 of 19 (permalink) Old 01-07-2007, 07:14 PM Thread Starter
Contributing User

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonsstockrocket View Post
i have never seen a caliper fall off before

and our calipers are cast aluminum , but if u didnt take them off then something must have hit it
You and me both. I never took off the rear calipers to paint them. But this did happen. Raven, who is on this forum, witnessed everything. He was driving behind me when this happened. Trust me, nothing is scarier than getting off the freeway at 80mph and having your brake pedal drop straight to the floor. I pressed the pedal again and got some feel back at the end. That was only because the piston pushed the pads together and allowed a little pressure to the other 3 brakes. I was finally able to stop, but only while my rear-end was pulling hard to the right. I never felt of heard something hit my car, only something drop. It was really weird.

07 Tahoe LT

07 Sport Red 4 door SS:
-sticking around for now
post #6 of 19 (permalink) Old 01-07-2007, 07:33 PM

did u look at the old caliper
post #7 of 19 (permalink) Old 01-07-2007, 08:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by domin8_gt View Post
I didn't paint my rotors, I painted my calipers. I didn't use anything special. Just happened to notice it at Wal-Mart's automotive department when I was looking for double-sided tape. I thought I'd give it a try. I used red. It came in a kit packaged in a black box with a picture on it. I'm about to leave for Colorado, but as soon as I can I will tell you exactly what type.
Had to be the Dupli-color kit. You can get those from Advance auto, AutoZone, Walmart etc. Blue, Red, and black.
post #8 of 19 (permalink) Old 01-07-2007, 08:23 PM

thats exactly what i used
lost the rest of the paint though
post #9 of 19 (permalink) Old 01-07-2007, 08:25 PM

I would paint mine, but yellow tends to turn brown and crap like that. You can never keep them clean.
post #10 of 19 (permalink) Old 01-07-2007, 10:05 PM

thats kinda scary.... to have a caliper fall off??
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy Cobalt SS Forum : Chevrolet Cobalt SS Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode