Shift Knob Popped off - Chevy Cobalt SS Forum : Chevrolet Cobalt SS Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 22 (permalink) Old 02-28-2007, 01:22 AM Thread Starter

Shift Knob Popped off

Well, unfortunately my shift knob popped off tonight. I sat down in the driver's seat of my SS/SC and went to put the car into neutral. Only to realize that the shift knob was in the passenger seat, and the styrofoam with the spring was below the E-brake. .. Anyone know if this is a quick fix? or will I need to replace the entire shifter? I forced the knob back onto the shaft metal part, along with the spring+styrofoam and it seemed to go into the gears fine.. along with reverse. Anyway i'm taking it into the dealership tommorow.. and i'm hoping for the best! I'll keep you posted on what the outcome of the problem is.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 22 (permalink) Old 02-28-2007, 06:58 AM

The same thing happened to me once. After I bashed it back on it hasn't happened since.

P.S. No damage was done during bashing.
post #3 of 22 (permalink) Old 02-28-2007, 10:43 AM
Contributing User

Send a message via Yahoo to dervin3
Everyone I personally know with an LSJ engine(yeah it happens to redlines to) has had their stock shift knob fall off, even mine has. I finally decided to superglue mine on and haven't had anymore problems.

2005 Victory Red Cobalt SS Supercharged
GM Performance Stage 2 kit with 2.9" Pulley
K&N Typhoon Cold Air Intake
Corsa Touring Cat-Back Exhaust System
ZEX Plugs
Aeroforce Interceptor SS Edition Gauge
AEM UEGO Wideband A/F Gauge
Custom Engine Covers
DC Sports Strut Tower Bar

post #4 of 22 (permalink) Old 02-28-2007, 11:11 AM

haha, lucky you, i changed my knob, and i had to beat the old one off with a hammer! lol
post #5 of 22 (permalink) Old 02-28-2007, 11:31 AM

I, too bashed it back on. Twice (it came off two times). Then I got a new shifter, with a screw-on knob. doesn't happen anymore. problem solved.
post #6 of 22 (permalink) Old 02-28-2007, 01:19 PM Thread Starter

So I took it into the dealership today and they said they pushed it back on like you guys did. They also told me they ordered a screw they were going to put into the shifter which would solve the problem. All of it is covered under warranty so i'm very happy it all worked out nicely! I wonder why these shifters have this problem? I never have shifted my car into gears stupidly, or hard enough for it to break the shift knob so i'm curious of why this happened. Anyway, to sum up this long story my shift knob should be fixed by late this week or next week once they get the parts in.
post #7 of 22 (permalink) Old 03-01-2007, 07:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ohshitz View Post
So I took it into the dealership today and they said they pushed it back on like you guys did. They also told me they ordered a screw they were going to put into the shifter which would solve the problem. All of it is covered under warranty so i'm very happy it all worked out nicely! I wonder why these shifters have this problem? I never have shifted my car into gears stupidly, or hard enough for it to break the shift knob so i'm curious of why this happened. Anyway, to sum up this long story my shift knob should be fixed by late this week or next week once they get the parts in.
Screw that say your life was at stake and get them to install a hurst for free.
post #8 of 22 (permalink) Old 03-01-2007, 09:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by suprchged View Post
Screw that say your life was at stake and get them to install a hurst for free.
LOL, what the hell are you going to use for an excuse??? Heres mine... "While I was goin down the interstate, the shifter popped off and landed on my nut-sac, causing me to swerve into the other lane. What if, JUST WHAT IF?!? another vehicle was in that lane???"
post #9 of 22 (permalink) Old 03-01-2007, 10:23 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnsRallyYellowSS View Post
LOL, what the hell are you going to use for an excuse??? Heres mine... "While I was goin down the interstate, the shifter popped off and landed on my nut-sac, causing me to swerve into the other lane. What if, JUST WHAT IF?!? another vehicle was in that lane???"

LOL! that made me laugh!
post #10 of 22 (permalink) Old 03-03-2007, 08:43 AM
Contributing User

Send a message via AIM to emperorjj1 Send a message via MSN to emperorjj1
ahahahaha....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy Cobalt SS Forum : Chevrolet Cobalt SS Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode