car died at 130 mph - Chevy Cobalt SS Forum : Chevrolet Cobalt SS Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-12-2007, 12:41 PM Thread Starter

car died at 130 mph

hey guys new here ive had my 06 ss for about 2 months a few weeks after i got it took it out to see what it would do it was 11 pm runnin down a back road i just hit 5th gear about 130 mph hit a bump in the road and it died nota damn thing worked the lights did stay on thank god yeah i about wet myself shortly after that i saw the cruise didnt work so last fri took it to the dealer to check it out 2 hours later thay dont have a clue so they ortered 2 switches and said they will call when they get here ok no prob so i got to leave and the wheel is all the way up cuz the fat ass tech didnt put it back down this is a very good thing i start the car pull down the wheel and it died so i got the tecvh guy and said watch this i did it 5 times for them died every time anyone have this prob any info would be very helpful other than that love the car and no other probs at all
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-12-2007, 01:13 PM
Contributing User

What do you have on the key chain with the key to start the car?

The ignition cylinder is known to be weak and can be turned very easily. I had the same thing happen at ~90 mph when I hit a good size pot hole. Engine shut off, but turned on right away. At the time I was working in the same building as the Vehicle Performance Manager for the SS/SC program and I got in contact with him and he ran the codes on my car and we discussed my problem. At the time I had maybe 8-10 keys on the same ring as the car's key. He suggested to put them on a seperate ring and I have not had a problem since. Watch your knee or other body parts when you are moving the steering wheel down and make sure you aren't contacting the keys or ignition switch.
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-12-2007, 11:05 PM

I had the same thing happen on a BIG pothole - not the key turning off thing, quite different, had that happen too. I was under the impression that a vertical acceleration of the car would do that due to a sensor or something, a safety feature. But, I could be completely off base. But some sympathy - I've had it happen too. only once though, surprisingly. Hope it gets better, if you find anything out about it, be sure to post

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-13-2007, 09:59 AM Thread Starter

so far it looks like its the key deal ive never had it hapen before so ive been told it was a big prob with the keys in the 90s with that chip in them but ive had 4 camaros 94 to 96 and never had a prob before and still have to of them cant make up my mind what car to start on first i think it will be the 95 s/c z28 then the cobalt ill do the 94 z next year
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-14-2007, 01:39 AM
Contributing User

Is the car alive now?

THE LIST too hot to handle on Cobaltss.com
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-15-2007, 01:05 PM Thread Starter

update just got off the phone with dealer told him about the keys being to heavy so geting it replaced he said it shouldnt be able to shut the car down from a bump i told him i lightend the keys but if they will do it just cuz im ok with that and all the cruize is being replaced guess ill pull out a camaro to drive next week didnt really want all the salt n sand on it but a day or two shouldnt hurt
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-15-2007, 01:36 PM
Site Moderator

Send a message via AIM to joedashow Send a message via Yahoo to joedashow
I'm sorry, but I can't hold it in anymore... PLEASE USE PERIODS! It took me about 10 minutes to dissect your original post, and about 5 to read that last one.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

CHICAGO CUBS - NINETY-NINE YEARS OF TRADITION

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-15-2007, 02:06 PM Thread Starter

ok dude. is this better. yeah i know im a smartass . deal with it . i can type slower will that help.

Last edited by ufnwish; 03-15-2007 at 02:18 PM.
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-15-2007, 02:25 PM
Site Moderator

Send a message via AIM to joedashow Send a message via Yahoo to joedashow
Quote:
Originally Posted by ufnwish View Post
ok dude. is this better. yeah i know im a smartass . deal with it . i can type slower will that help.
Actually, it is. And don't type slower, just smarter.

CHICAGO CUBS - NINETY-NINE YEARS OF TRADITION

post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-15-2007, 05:07 PM
Contributing User

Quote:
Originally Posted by ufnwish View Post
update just got off the phone with dealer told him about the keys being to heavy so geting it replaced he said it shouldnt be able to shut the car down from a bump i told him i lightend the keys but if they will do it just cuz im ok with that and all the cruize is being replaced guess ill pull out a camaro to drive next week didnt really want all the salt n sand on it but a day or two shouldnt hurt
Are you getting the ignition cylinder replaced? I'm not telling you not to, but it won't make a difference. Everyone one of them will do it. Just keep your car keys seperate from your other keys. I have my car key, truck key, and the car's key fob on mine and that is it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy Cobalt SS Forum : Chevrolet Cobalt SS Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode