engine overheating?? - Chevy Cobalt SS Forum : Chevrolet Cobalt SS Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-28-2007, 06:27 PM Thread Starter

engine overheating??

ok well i just installed my injen c.a.i any ways i love it sounds great and pull like a champ but i am havin a bit of an issue here this before engine coolant would stay steady at 180-188 but shortly after testing out the car the coolant gauge read 193 then went down and spiked up to 203 which needless to say freaked me out but then it went right back down too 185 but would rise up slowely between 180-190 does anybody know what could cause this or what i could do to correct this issue please help with any advice...

p.s
i double checked everything is properly installed and all oh and i wasnt running it any harder than usual so we can eliminate that from the equation
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-28-2007, 06:57 PM
Contributing User

Send a message via AIM to Butch Sosa
well when you read the temperture was the car sitting at idle? The car will get hot just sitting there on. temps can reach low 200's just doing nothing. and if you just came back from runnig it testing your intake your engine will be a little hotter when it comes to a rest because at speed you have air flowing into your engine compartment and passing through.

2009 Turbo Cobalt SS
traded in 2005 SS/SC

Dragracing is for fast cars, autocross is for fast drivers.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

This car looks fast even standing still!
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-28-2007, 07:00 PM Thread Starter

yea it was at an idle when i check the gauge while the car is moving the tem gauge is normal do you know at what temp the car is considered overheating i swear i love the ss but i wish they would have left the normal temp gauge on it so do you think there is anything i can do to avoid this problem from happening anymore or is it normal cause it didnt do it before the installation of the intake...

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-28-2007, 08:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2k7eatonSS View Post
yea it was at an idle when i check the gauge while the car is moving the tem gauge is normal do you know at what temp the car is considered overheating i swear i love the ss but i wish they would have left the normal temp gauge on it so do you think there is anything i can do to avoid this problem from happening anymore or is it normal cause it didnt do it before the installation of the intake...
Dude dont worry about it, low fans kick on at 200 and highs at 230 so its ok for that engine to run that hot. Newer cars can run that way and be fine. I would recommend that after running the car hard to let it sit and idle for a while.
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-28-2007, 08:54 PM

Mine was at 221 today sitting in micky d's DT. And since its an aluminum block and head, the motor can withstand heat better than cast iron. No worries about it going that high.
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-28-2007, 10:00 PM

Oh yeah, if its an STi motor, the thing can go til like 300 degrees plus and gain hp!
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-29-2007, 06:17 AM Thread Starter

sweet

alright thats good cause i thought i messed up my car after having that c.a.i installed but thats a relief thanks for your help guys
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-07-2007, 02:45 PM

Oh yeah, if its an STi motor, the thing can go til like 300 degrees plus and gain hp!

I should've bought me an STI.... DOH!
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-09-2007, 08:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnsRallyYellowSS View Post

Man i feel jipped
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy Cobalt SS Forum : Chevrolet Cobalt SS Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode